NEurope
Glen-i

Monster Hunter Rise

41 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

@Kav If you click on above link the app should add you to the proper group.

The app tells me that link is invalid or expired. ::shrug:

39 minutes ago, Kav said:

The app tells me that link is invalid or expired. ::shrug:

Kav, if you let me know your Discord handle, either post it in here or PM it if you don't want to share it on the forum, then I should be able to send you an invite.

I don't know what the app is like, but on the desktop web version, if I hover the mouse cursor over my name on Discord, it'll show my name plus the '#' character, followed by 4 digits, again, on the desktop version, clicking it copies that to the clipboard, I'd have thought it'll do something similar on the app.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I almost killed my Magnamalo with a Rathian. Once I dismounted that. I wailed on Magnamalo about 4 more times and it died.

Would've felt so much cooler to finish it off with the actual Rathian...

I know the general rule is "Complain on the internet and you'll get what you want" when it comes to video games, but I didn't expect it to work that well!

Not as cool as killing a Magnamalo with a Rathian, but it was way funnier!

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Kav, if you let me know your Discord handle, either post it in here or PM it if you don't want to share it on the forum, then I should be able to send you an invite.

I don't know what the app is like, but on the desktop web version, if I hover the mouse cursor over my name on Discord, it'll show my name plus the '#' character, followed by 4 digits, again, on the desktop version, clicking it copies that to the clipboard, I'd have thought it'll do something similar on the app.

@Vileplume2000 sorted it for me, thanks guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there a reason this game is only on the Switch? Given that MH World sold 16 million copies (roughly 4 times as many as the next best selling game), it seems odd to me that this is only on Switch. Considering how shabby party features also are on Switch (particularly voice chat), and that MH World was graphically considered such an upgrade, I'm a bit puzzled by it.

Edited by Sheikah

It's coming out on PC as well, at a later date.

Chances are, later on down the line when the inevitable Monster Hunter Rise Ultimate launches, it could come out on other platforms, I wouldn't be surprised.

Right now though, it's essentially a paid for timed-exclusive.

With it being on the Switch though, it is best set up for multiplayer, both online and locally, so there's that.

12 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Is there a reason this game is only on the Switch? Given that MH World sold 16 million copies (roughly 4 times as many as the next best selling game), it seems odd to me that this is only on Switch. Considering how shabby party features also are on Switch (particularly voice chat), and that MH World was graphically considered such an upgrade, I'm a bit puzzled by it.

Hard to tell, but a possible reason is that other consoles aren't handheld. Monster Hunter on handhelds sells absolutely stupid numbers in Japan. Or maybe they just want to focus on the audience that didn't have another console, but wanted a Monster Hunter game.

It's also possible that Ninty might have funded it a bit, but seeing as they've already announced a PC version, I'm not sure about that.

Maybe Capcom thought that a Monster Hunter designed for weaker hardware wouldn't be worth the inevitable backlash that would happen if it got ported to other consoles as is? PC gamers aren't really known for complaining about graphics that much, so it's less of a risk there.

Edited by Glen-i

7 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

We know from the leaked Capcom document that Nintendo money hatted the game to keep it off the PC for a year. Part of the deal probably may have been to keep it off other consoles as well. 

The game is pretty much built on the Switch’s strengths and weaknesses and so it makes sense that it wouldn’t be on other platforms. Plus, it’s a different beast compared to World. It’s a far more casual experience and this may put off and confuse those who joined the series with World.

I’m not too fussed with the series being split again just as long as World gets a sequel.

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Hard to tell, but a possible reason is that other consoles aren't handheld. Monster Hunter on handhelds sells absolutely stupid numbers in Japan. Or maybe they just want to focus on the audience that didn't have another console, but wanted a Monster Hunter game.

But from a sales perspective, 16 million copies sold of an entry that wasn't available on any handheld at all...surely then this decision can't be related to sales?

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's also possible that Ninty might have funded it a bit, but seeing as they've already announced a PC version, I'm not sure about that.

Maybe Capcom thought that a Monster Hunter designed for weaker hardware wouldn't be worth the inevitable backlash that would happen if it got ported to other consoles as is? PC gamers aren't really known for complaining about graphics that much, so it's less of a risk there.

To be honest I reckon it's a case of covering all bases. Like you say there'll be people who have a Switch but probably not another console or PC who want to play Monster Hunter. Rather than bring out MH World 2 right now, which probably wouldn't sell as well as the last one just because people on their consoles have had their fill recently, they can wait a while and bring out a Switch-only title.

The best thing to do would probably be to release a game simultaneously across every format, but I'm guessing the Switch would require some extra work to get a comparable version running.

If there’s any truth to the rumours of a Switch Pro, do you think it’s feasible that a sequel to World will come out across all platforms?

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

To be honest I reckon it's a case of covering all bases. Like you say there'll be people who have a Switch but probably not another console or PC who want to play Monster Hunter. Rather than bring out MH World 2 right now, which probably wouldn't sell as well as the last one just because people on their consoles have had their fill recently, they can wait a while and bring out a Switch-only title.

The best thing to do would probably be to release a game simultaneously across every format, but I'm guessing the Switch would require some extra work to get a comparable version running.

Probably worth noting that Capcom was really lukewarm about Switch support when it first came out. Took them years to bother with localising a 3DS Monster Hunter re-release outside of Japan.

Now that they figured out that "Hey, Switch is actually quite popular", they wanted in on that.

I mean, they're actually giving big massive flop Monster Hunter Stories a much deserved second chance now.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

But from a sales perspective, 16 million copies sold of an entry that wasn't available on any handheld at all...surely then this decision can't be related to sales?

I might be completely wrong about this, but wasn't most of World's success due to the Western market? I remember it doing OK in Japan, but not up to the usual standard expected there, and certainly not to the extent of it's Western success. If that's correct (and do correct me if need be), then Rise's main audience being the Japanese handheld enthusiasts makes a lot of sense. The game is very Japanese-themed, even more so then usual.

1 hour ago, Kav said:

If there’s any truth to the rumours of a Switch Pro, do you think it’s feasible that a sequel to World will come out across all platforms?

If it's as powerful as those rumours are (and when it comes to Nintendo consoles, I wouldn't expect it to), then sure, I don't see why not.

That's a very big "if" though.

Like I said before, that's also another feasible reason why Rise is Switch exclusive as of now.

Can you imagine the uproar PS5 enthusiasts would make if Rise came out on it looking like the Switch version? Is it worth it? There were quite a few that complained about miracle Switch port, Dragon Quest XI S because of barely noticeable graphical differences.

EDIT: BTW, saw my first 'Turf War' just now. Rathalos and Nargacuga. It's probably the first time I thought "Wow, this is proper violent" in the whole series.

Edited by Glen-i

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I might be completely wrong about this, but wasn't most of World's success due to the Western market? I remember it doing OK in Japan, but not up to the usual standard expected there, and certainly not to the extent of it's Western success. If that's correct (and do correct me if need be), then Rise's main audience being the Japanese handheld enthusiasts makes a lot of sense. The game is very Japanese-themed, even more so then usual.

Yeah, it was the breakout success the series needed in the Western market, mainly because it was a proper console MH game that wasn’t being held back in any way. Rise is far more suited to the Japanese market due to the handheld nature of the Switch. As for the Japanese setting, it’s not the first time they’ve done this. Portable 3rd had a very similar setting and I’m happy they’ve revisited it here because I loved that game. 

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

I genuinely did not see that Anjanath there! Scared the bejeesus out of me! Is it because I told @Dcubed that Anjanath was boring this morning? Because I stand by what I said, it's boring.

I was far too focused on Zinogre, I've fought it so much that I associate that particular standing still animation with it charging up so I instinctively started wailing on it, not noticing what was behind the thing!

This Turf War mechanic is great! Adds a fun layer of dynamism to hunts, but it doesn't happen often enough that you expect it.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kav said:

@Blade twisted my arm into getting the online so I’ll be on... at some point in the future. Haha

Wohoo, great news, hunting tonight?

24 minutes ago, Mokong said:

Wohoo, great news, hunting tonight?

Nah, I’ll be on Apex Legends on the PS4.

Most times I game I’ll be on that to be honest, haha.

• Sad 1

Thanks for the hunts and the Monster Hunter chat tonight, everyone. :D

I will be playing the game regularly, but probably not tomorrow night, as I usually play PSO, and possibly not Thursday night as I'll likely be promoting the Nintendo/Sega/Retro news which happened this week, although... did anything happen this week, aside from Monster Hunter Rise being released? ;) (I'll have a look and see what news I can find)

This game though, it's great, really great... and I say that as someone who isn't really playing games that regularly, but I'll surely be back for some more hunts. :peace:

• Like 1

Aaaaah the perfect time for a selfie....or...is that thin checking out her butt?!  DAMN rubbernecking MONSTERS! 

• Haha 4

Boy, Almudron was genuinely tough. Damn thing wouldn't stay still and it hit like a truck, despite my 170-ish defense! Cool monster though.

I'm at 6 star quests now, they're only 1 page long and the game is no longer giving me a task that I need to do in order to progress, so I think I'm coming up to how far the village quests go.

EDIT: I just googled it, and there's no way to make your own layered armour at this point in time.

Massive disappointment there. How am I supposed to wear casual clothes and a silly mask without being lumbered with rubbish stats!?

Edited by Glen-i

Some clips from last night

Me: Trying to be stealthy waiting for everyone to get here.

Blade: *Jumps on tail

Haha

Me: Narga is asleep I got bombs let me.blow it up. *Misses knife throw

This Rathian came in and was not messing about

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mokong said:

Some clips from last night

Me: Trying to be stealthy waiting for everyone to get here.

Blade: *Jumps on tail

Haha

Me: Narga is asleep I got bombs let me.blow it up. *Misses knife throw

This Rathian came in and was not messing about

All of you suck because you're using the default automatic shout-outs!

I expect better!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

All of you suck because you're using the default automatic shout-outs!

Good people. My kinda people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I love the turf wars - great emergent gameplay opportunities. Beyond wyvern riding does anyone have any tips for making the most of them? As a hammer user I kind of have to stand by and watch at the moment, as getting into the fray is asking to be trampled. 

• Thanks 1

A Palico would never do anything stupid like that. ;) 

Check out the way my hunter is shifted from side to side on that thing, absolutely hilarious. :laughing:

And yes, that "double KO"/Wyvern ride switch was a total fluke. :grin:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Good people. My kinda people.

Why would you out yourself as boring like that? 

I mean, I've played with you on Generations, I already knew you're a boring default shout-outer, but why announce it?

Oh, and it's lazy. 12 lines of typing is all it takes to make yourself stand out.

You're all boring and lazy!

3 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

I love the turf wars - great emergent gameplay opportunities. Beyond wyvern riding does anyone have any tips for making the most of them? As a hammer user I kind of have to stand by and watch at the moment, as getting into the fray is asking to be trampled. 

It's a decent opportunity to sharpen your weapon, chug a potion, set a trap and so on.

If that's not needed, then do what I do and chuck hunting kunais at them. Damage is damage.

Those being infinite now and the fantastic gyro controls has elevated them from useless item to "always on my Y button".

54 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Why would you out yourself as boring like that? 

I mean, I've played with you on Generations, I already knew you're a boring default shout-outer, but why announce it?

Oh, and it's lazy. 12 lines of typing is all it takes to make yourself stand out.

You're all boring and lazy!

I’m used to playing with voice chat so I’ve never had to bother with them. Even on the 3DS games we had banter using the PS4. No need to faff on with shoutouts when you can actually speak to people. 

• Like 1