Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

Scotland have actually qualified for a major tournament. Didn't think I'd live to see them do it again but we're there! Should have won it in normal time really but you they never make it easy. 

Gutted for NI though, would have been awesome for all the home nations to get there.

• Like 1

Atrocious VAR decision in the last minute of the Villa game, Trez went down and the referee pointed to the spot then VAR asked him to take a look at the replay and he overruled himself because Solly March got a slight touch of the ball. Touching the ball or not, he still fouled Trez so a penalty should have been awarded to Villa. 

Disappointing slips at the back again for us though, and without Barkley we lacked a bit of spark that would usually afford the front line more space in the final third. 

• Like 1

VAR should be a good thing but my oh my poor officiating is really taking away from it!

United got lucky thanks to it yet again. They’ve really had poor decisions go their way.

1 hour ago, Kav said:

VAR should be a good thing but my oh my poor officiating is really taking away from it!

United got lucky thanks to it yet again. They’ve really had poor decisions go their way.

I think VAR (or rather the people officiating it) isn't really benefitting anyone. Everyone is suffering from the inconsistencies of it. Yesterday's game was ridiculous and I can't work out why West Brom didn't have their penalty. Ours was given for the exact same reason as the one that Palace got against us earlier this season, so at least that's consistent...ish. I don't have a problem with the retake and it's great that the rule about keepers and their line is finally being enforced after years of it not being so. Although, whether that's what the rule should or shouldn't be is another question entirely.

Football is just fucking weird, atm. I spend most of the games waiting for the next incident or VAR-call, or penalty, or handball. It's not the same game as the one that I grew up with. 

I thought United were trash yesterday and very, very lucky to get away with it. It's one poor performance too many. We really need the next person after Ole to be the right one, because we're going nowhere.

Would love to watch Asif Kapadia's Maradona documentary again. Fascinating place and time that Maradona was a part of. And of course he was brilliant.  

Very sad news about Maradona. Although he wasn't my personal favourite or somebody that I was particularly fond of, his contribution to the game is without question. A true legend of the sport. I keep meaning to watch the film/documentary about him, as I hear great things about it.

In other football related news: United made it very hard for themselves today, but I thought they were more than good enough for those three points. We missed so many good chances and, tbh, Southampton scored with their two best efforts in the game. Aside from that and a little bit on either side of halftime, I thought we were more than doing enough to win it. Ole should've started with Cavani, who has looked great recently. Looked immense today! Pleased to see VDB starting and looking good, too. Overall, exciting game!

Who are these stringent offside rules actually benefiting? Every team has suffered the consequences of a goal that would have been perfectly legitimate 2 seasons ago being ruled out because of pedantic VAR officials. Villa made some errors themselves in the game, we should have at least been level before Watkins equaliser was ruled out, but VAR has ultimately cost us a point. 

The officials don't seem to be sticking to the 'clear and obvious error' schtick, it took them two minutes fiddling with a digital ruler to work out that Watkins was ever so slightly offside, it takes all the fun out of the game having to sit and wait for them to screw the attacking team over. Among other things, the offside rule needs to be seriously reconsidered - the whole point originally was to prevent teams goal hanging, not chalk off a well worked goal because one players arm was slightly ahead of anothers.

Sign in to follow this