NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

Denmark have been brilliant in the second half. Completely destroyed Russia. 

Great scenes in Copenhagen. Especially after what we saw with Eriksen. 

Enjoyed the frantic finish to that group. That's what we're here for!

The third place situation and who Belgium are playing next is an utter mess. I really dislike the formatting for this year's competition. 

5 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

The third place situation and who Belgium are playing next is an utter mess. I really dislike the formatting for this year's competition. 

What, you mean the timed relay race between third placed teams needing to descend through the nine circles of Hell in order to track down Dumbledore and retrieve the Elden Ring to return it to Luke Skywalker doesn't make sense? 

• Haha 3

So happy for Denmark that they've made it through, looked like it was going to get nervy when Russia pulled on back but they ripped them apart on the counter in the end.

Most importantly though today's results mean  that if Scotland can beat Croatia tomorrow night we'll be through. 

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

What, you mean the timed relay race between third placed teams needing to descend through the nine circles of Hell in order to track down Dumbledore and retrieve the Elden Ring to return it to Luke Skywalker doesn't make sense? 

That's exactly what it feels like! :laughing:

I've given up trying to work out the scenarios. Whatever will be, will be.

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Clear as mud! :blank:

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

So happy for Denmark that they've made it through, looked like it was going to get nervy when Russia pulled on back but they ripped them apart on the counter in the end.

Most importantly though today's results mean  that if Scotland can beat Croatia tomorrow night we'll be through. 

Let's see how it goes tomorrow. Clan Clarke will need to be on their game and hope they don't lose any more players to isolation before kickoff. 

Yeah, Gilmour's positive COVID result isn't exactly the best preparation but I still have high hopes we can beat Croatia tomorrow. 

@Fierce_LiNk The Euro 2020 wikipedia page has a table that shows which permutations lead to which ties - just click on the knockout stage tab and you'll see it, makes it a bit less confusing!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Just found this based on yesterday's games:

"No Turkey?!"
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Russia and North Macedonia also eliminated.

Yes, the joke is lost on me. :laughing:

5 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Yeah, Gilmour's positive COVID result isn't exactly the best preparation but I still have high hopes we can beat Croatia tomorrow. 

@Fierce_LiNk The Euro 2020 wikipedia page has a table that shows which permutations lead to which ties - just click on the knockout stage tab and you'll see it, makes it a bit less confusing!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-european-championship/story/4410772/euro-2020-what-all-teams-need-to-qualify-from-the-group-stage

This also explains what each country needs. For example, Scotland must win and England must lose, and Scotland better the overall goal difference, to take second. Regardless, a win over Croatia is likely to take them through in third on four points.

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Russia and North Macedonia also eliminated.

Yes, the joke is lost on me. :laughing:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-european-championship/story/4410772/euro-2020-what-all-teams-need-to-qualify-from-the-group-stage

This also explains what each country needs. For example, Scotland must win and England must lose, and Scotland better the overall goal difference, to take second. Regardless, a win over Croatia is likely to take them through in third on four points.

It's based on this legendary Peep Show scene:

• Weird 1

7 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Southgate is trolling us 

How so? Yesterday he said Kane would start, and he's down to start. 

Will Grealish deliver? The hype and expectation around him is massive.

Everyone's so focused on England that I don't think the pundits have mentioned who our opposition tonight actually is in a surprisingly long time. Why am I not surprised? :laughing:

Good that Grealish is getting his start, but it blows my mind that Sancho hasn't had a look in yet. Hope he comes on tonight. 

42 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

How so? Yesterday he said Kane would start, and he's down to start. 

Will Grealish deliver? The hype and expectation around him is massive.

Saka over Sancho? Come on now, I like the kid but he’s not Sancho. What’s the reluctance? 

21 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

What’s the reluctance? 

Dodging the runner-up of Group F, probably. 

Totally agree though, I want to see Sancho play. He's the kind of player who could do plenty to supply Kane, much more than most other names on the pitch tonight. 

Edited by Julius

Is this gonna be an interesting England match? :D It certainly was a promising start.

And what about Bellingham!

I think Southgate said they want to stay at Wembley but I'm not sure if that means try to scrape a win or not.

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Is this gonna be an interesting England match? :D

We'll be able to tell if the lads are up to keeping it interesting tonight in about 10 minutes :laughing:

• Haha 1

Shaw has been wide open for two or three long passes already on this left hand side, and he's been ignored every time. 

Already passing it backwards, sideways, and slowing down the play. We're less than 10 minutes in. 

Can't predict this one. Tempted to say another 0-0, tbh.

I told @Eenuh part way during the first game that I couldn't see Kane scoring many goals at this tournament due to the way that he was playing. He's spending too much time too deep in midfield and not really in the higher, influential positions, or areas where he's most likely to score. There's a possibility that he finishes this tournament with zero goals.

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Can't predict this one. Tempted to say another 0-0, tbh.

Sterling scores the opener. Wooo!

Next week in awful predictions...

• Haha 2

Sign in to follow this