NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

I've been trying to remember the last time I watched a full 90 of England. :zzz:  Either those laughable group stage matches at the World Cup in South Africa or the Italy game at a previous Euros. Checking dates, Italy at Euro 2012 it was! That's the guts of ten years. Yonks ago. :o 

Time to reset the clock tonight as the big yin doesn't bear missing out on. (Unless it's a snorefest, then you'll see me active on the Switch...)

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Just chiming in to say: I'm ready for a cracking match.

Any Scots here?

I’ve got a terrible diet and a chip on my shoulder, that count?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LazyBoy said:

I’ve got a terrible diet and a chip on my shoulder, that count?

Good enough for me :p

• Thanks 1

Scotland are the better team here, as expected. They played great in their first game but just couldn’t find the net, whereas England were only decent in the first 10-15 minutes of their first game.

Once again, Kane just seems to be nonexistent. I swear it was the same at the World Cup but it got buried due to how many pens we got and he scored.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Scotland are the better team here, as expected. They played great in their first game but just couldn’t find the net, whereas England were only decent in the first 10-15 minutes of their first game.

Once again, Kane just seems to be nonexistent. I swear it was the same at the World Cup but it got buried due to how many pens we got and he scored.

Yeh but it’s because we got no width. Sancho and Sterling both want to play inside, so it’s easy to double up on Kane then crowd the centre. Janes is on Robertson, so it’s not surprising the only times they’ve been opened up is when we’ve gotten Shaw on the ball. Need to get Sancho on.

26 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Kane's only concerned with being in the shop window. 

22 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Yeh but it’s because we got no width. Sancho and Sterling both want to play inside, so it’s easy to double up on Kane then crowd the centre. Janes is on Robertson, so it’s not surprising the only times they’ve been opened up is when we’ve gotten Shaw on the ball. Need to get Sancho on.

Will Grealish do? I thought the Stockport Iniesta would be the one to make way. 

Just now, drahkon said:

This is boooooring :p

It’s an England match. You knew what you signed up for. :p 

• Haha 1

Still annoys me that Lingard got left behind. We need some creativity in the midfield or someone who can score a goal and that’s what he can bring to the table, especially given the form he was I going into this tournament.

Yeah, this is why I don't care about England games and watch them reluctantly during tournaments. One of the most boring matches I've seen in a while. Sounds about right!

Scotland look good though, unlucky they couldn't take more from this match. Playing with their hearts on their sleeves, could easily nab something when they come up against Croatia. 

Terrible. You got to be able to create chances, and we created none. I fear Southgate is reverting to type (an England manager).

Exactly the kind of performance we needed! We were unlucky not to win that game but a point will do us fine - a win against Croatia and we're through. 

Come on Scotland!

How are we classed as one of the favourites? Baffling.

It’s hilarious how deluded a lot of fans are. I was listening to the radio this morning and they were interviewing fans down London and they were all saying it would be 3-0 and it’s the best England squad in years. Crazy.

Scotland were by far the better team and would be dangerous if they could bury their chances. We looked so slow and our attacking options are VERY limited. I don’t think we have the depth of squad to bring on players to change a game.

The bookies make up the odds and it's in their favour to rank England highly. Not sure they are so favourably ranked in any other country.

England are so poor so far. Wales have looked better and more exciting in both of their matches so far.

It’s hilarious how deluded a lot of fans are. I was listening to the radio this morning and they were interviewing fans down London and they were all saying it would be 3-0 and it’s the best England squad in years. Crazy.

Scotland were by far the better team and would be dangerous if they could bury their chances. We looked so slow and our attacking options are VERY limited. I don’t think we have the depth of squad to bring on players to change a game.

I find it hilarious to be honest. For as long as I've drawn breath, the national team has always been living in the shadow of what happened in 1966. I swear no other country talks about their World Cup triumphs (or just a single triumph, in our case) as much as we do. 

People will point the blame at Kane and I think it's embarrassing. Sure, he looks a little lethargic, but where was the service? Why did Foden come off? Why didn't Sancho come on? Why didn't Grealish come on earlier? As always, there's this massive chasm between our attacking and defending players, there just isn't a flow from back to front as you would want to make progress in a tournament. 

Scotland were resolute and compact, they came out with a plan, and stuck with it. They actually have a flow from the back of their to the front.  Kudos to them, hope they can get a result against Croatia. 

• Like 1

I...probably should've posted this before the match. Ah well.

Enjoyed rooting for Scotland today. Quite the scrappy underdogs. Hope they beat Croatia.

As boring as England was, they were effective at controlling the pace of the match (hence the boring chants in this thread), so if they wanted to be ultra-defensive and not care much if they scored... they succeeded at that. Can't say they're dreadful, even if they do need some pep in those steps when attacking.

• Haha 2

I'll never for the life of me understand why Southgate only took two out and out strikers with him, I'm obviously biased but Ollie Watkins should have definitely been in the final 26, he offers something so different to any of the other centre forwards. 

England really were poor but there was a heart in mouth moment at the end when there was some pinball in the Scotland box, genuinely feared we were going to concede then. 

I think it might do England some good to have been so flat tonight, give them a kick up the arse to improve. For Scotland its a much needed confidence boost that we can use to beat Croatia at Hampden and make it to the knockout stages for the first time in our history

48 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I'll never for the life of me understand why Southgate only took two out and out strikers with him

Prioritised rightback allocation didn't he. ::shrug: 

@Jonnas today's the day...Will your team kick us out of the tourney? Will we rally and secure a win? Will this fucking heat please STOP?

I'm proper nervous already :D

36 minutes ago, drahkon said:

@Jonnas today's the day...Will your team kick us out of the tourney? Will we rally and secure a win? Will this fucking heat please STOP?

I'm proper nervous already :D

Yes. No. Until German buildings learn how to properly ventilate (or how to properly use a fan), no.

But seriously, let's hope it's a good game, and that we can both be proud of our teams' performances by the end. I don't want to see 90+ minutes of Cristiano Ronaldo missing the net, and if we lose, it better be because the German defence was solid.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I don't want to see 90+ minutes of Cristiano Ronaldo missing the net

Personally, I'd be fine with that :p

3 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

But seriously, let's hope it's a good game, and that we can both be proud of our teams' performances by the end.

Indeed. :peace:

Sign in to follow this