NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

These subs should've been made 10 minutes ago. Penalties in mind at least. 

Sweating over here. 

Getting nervy again now, I'm just worried Italy are going to nick a goal before the final whistle but penalties are going to be so hard to watch 

Only the second final that's gone to penalties 

It's England. 

Of course it's going to be penalties. It's been going to penalties since June 11th. 

Here we go. Come on lads. 

Losing at penalties is England’s destiny.  Now and forever.

Edited by Dcubed

Please don't let Jack miss, don't think I could take another Villa player costing us a penalty shootout 

Just now, killthenet said:

Please don't let Jack miss, don't think I could take another Villa player costing us a penalty shootout 

Narrator: Jack did miss. 

Haha, of course penalties! I wouldn’t want to look up and see the size of Donnarumma though!

That's so frustrating.

Rashford didn't look confident coming up. Neither did Sancho. I think Southgate cocked up by bringing those two on so late and pretty much straight into the shootout. No rhythm for the game at all. Saka didn't have a great game either. Surprised Sterling didn't take that 5th penalty.

Whoever let Saka go last can go screw themselves. He's 19. 

If it was too much for Mbappé, it was as too much for him. Grealish? Sterling? No, the 19 year old. 

Flipping heck. And after Pickford's magnificent save too. 

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Whoever let Saka go last can go screw themselves. He's 19. 

If it was too much for Mbappé, it was as too much for him. Grealish? Sterling? No, the 19 year old. 

Flipping heck. And after Pickford's magnificent save too. 

Yeah, I feel that the penalty order was really strange. Sancho and Rashford literally just came on. They really should have come on maybe 20 mins earlier. 

Sterling should be taking that 5th penalty. Mad that Saka was taking it. 

Always think it's crazy to let people come on to take a penalty who haven't kicked a ball all night!

Just now, Fierce_LiNk said:

Yeah, I feel that the penalty order was really strange. Sancho and Rashford literally just came on. They really should have come on maybe 20 mins earlier. 

Sterling should be taking that 5th penalty. Mad that Saka was taking it. 

He's 19, it's just too much of an ask. Has he even taken a professional penalty at this point? I don't follow Arsenal too closely, maybe he has, but it's just so bizarre. 

Like you said before, Rashford and Sancho did not look comfortable. Imagine everyone else sweating and tired, in tune with the game, and then coming on to a fully amped atmosphere with no sweat to show for it. Sport is about talent, and determination, but it's also about being in tune with the game and the atmosphere. Sancho and Saka especially were so telegraphed, Rashford sent Donnarumma the wrong way and did everything right except hit the net. 

Gutting. Absolutely gutting. Especially after Pickford's magnificent save against Jorginho, you thought we would have had the psychological edge...but then we bring in the most psychologically susceptible player in Saka. Nothing against him, it's just this could have a huge impact on his career. It feels wrong. 

And not to take anything away from Italy, full respect to them. Controlled the game, dug in deep, Chiellini came up with game-saving challenge after game-saving challenge. If there was a team capable and worthy of taking away the English dream this summer, it was them, and I can't wait to hopefully see us and them (hopefully not against each other!) at the World Cup next year. 

Gutting, it isn't fair that Sancho and Rashford came on for two minutes and were expected to be in the right head space to take penalties. 

England lost it before it went to penalties though, they should have pushed on and got another when they were dominating in the first half. Southgate dallied on his substitutions for too long, he wasn't decisive enough when it came down to it. 

Pickford did really well in shootout but you can't miss 3 penalties and think you have a chance of winning it. The order of penalty takers was crazy too, as Julius said expecting Saka to score the penalty that keeps England in it is absurd. I would have thought Sterling would be one of the five

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

Gutting, it isn't fair that Sancho and Rashford came on for two minutes and were expected to be in the right head space to take penalties. 

England lost it before it went to penalties though, they should have pushed on and got another when they were dominating in the first half. Southgate dallied on his substitutions for too long, he wasn't decisive enough when it came down to it. 

Pickford did really well in shootout but you can't miss 3 penalties and think you have a chance of winning it. The order of penalty takers was crazy too, as Julius said expecting Saka to score the penalty that keeps England in it is absurd. I would have thought Sterling would be one of the five

I feel like the game was lost as soon as Italy scored. Arguably, maybe even after half time. When Italy scored and a little before that, they were on top and mentally looked stronger. England just created less and less as the game went on.

The talk will be about the penalties, but that bench was strong enough to win the game. The players who needed to come on came on way, way too late. Even Grealish should have had more time.

Just now, Fierce_LiNk said:

I feel like the game was lost as soon as Italy scored. Arguably, maybe even after half time. When Italy scored and a little before that, they were on top and mentally looked stronger. England just created less and less as the game went on.

The talk will be about the penalties, but that bench was strong enough to win the game. The players who needed to come on came on way, way too late. Even Grealish should have had more time.

I thought we started to look better in the second half of extra time but obviously not enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I thought we started to look better in the second half of extra time but obviously not enough.

That was after Grealish came on, which was a major step in the right direction. It could have happened a lot earlier, though. After Chiesa went off for Italy, they weren't really creating as much as they were when he was on, so there was a chance to do something.

On the plus side, Pickford did well in that shootout and at least gave us a chance. He did his bit. 

3 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Yeah, he should have pulled the trigger on changes sooner - England did get more of the ball when they changed the shape, if they had done that earlier they might have got a grip of the game before Italy scored but Southgate's conservatism came back to bite him. 

It was baffling to bring Grealish on in extra time, even more frustrating to bring on Rashford and Sancho and give them a matter of seconds to change the game - if they had come on in the 90 then Italy would have been petrified of being caught on the counter, sometimes the best form of defence is to attack and give the opposition something to think about

Yeah, we did look better in the second half of extra-time...but maybe that's just it. Henderson came on and was completely walked over, had no real impact on the game. Subs were left way too late, if we're being walked over in the 65th minute then you need to make changes. Again, like I said before: we should've just gone for it. If we lose 3-1 with Sancho, Foden, Grealish and Rashford on with Sterling and Kane still there? At least we'd know we'd done everything in our power and it just wasn't meant to be. 

Foden. Grealish. Sancho. So much talent on that bench and none of it used until really late on. When everyone else looks leggy, you need to make those changes. Think that's the next step Southgate needs to take, he needs to work on subs ahead of the World Cup. And, for a change, expectations will rightly be high -- we were poor early in this tournament, but we really grew into it. We beat what was in front of us, yes we got lucky at times, but this could be a great learning experience. Put it this way: I don't think it'll be another 55+ years until we're next in a final with these lads. Put a smile on my face and got me believing in this England team for the first time in my 22+ years of life, thanks for the memories lads. 

As for Italy, Donnarumma was fantastic, deserved Player of the Tournament (maybe alongside Chiesa? Heck, could've been Spinazzola too if he didn't get injured), shame his manager is a right idiot and the jewel of Milan is off to France (but fair play to Maldini for not putting up with their crap). This Italy team looks fantastic. Can't wait to see them at the World Cup next year, feels so good to finally see an Italy team worthy of that blue shirt take to the pitch again. Great job Mancini!

Edited by Julius

Lessons to be learned & while hugely disappointing, but so much positive has come from this England team this tournament.

Italy are a fantastic team and have been all tournament.  To be second best to them over the game is nothing to be ashamed of, but to take them to penalties is a huge achievement in itself, and penalties are a lottery at the best of times.  I expect the order was determined well in advance and ultimately it’s just one of those things.

England made the most of their slightly ‘easier’ route to the final (compared to Italy) and the young players will grow in confidence enormously from reaching a major international final.

Edited by WackerJr

Seems like the racists are already piling on Saka on social media, hardly surprising but nevertheless disappointing - some people are utter scum

7 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Seems like the racists are already piling on Saka on social media, hardly surprising but nevertheless disappointing - some people are utter scum

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9522f3b068844cd78f0e

Wait until they realise we only got to the final because of Sterling. Oh wait, selectively turning the blinders on and having double standards is a classic trait of a racist (and virtually other group you'd want to avoid). 

It's one of the two things I will forever struggle with when supporting England (the other being just how toxic and tunnel visioned our own media can become when it comes to success, which obviously pales in comparison). 

I think this country has a long, long, long way to go when it comes to tackling racism, and unfortunately it seems to get ignited by our performances in sports (whether that be success or failure). I will always pride myself on - and be proud of others for - being raised to be empathetic towards others, but I'll never be able to empathise with unreasonable idiots. Very hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes when they're always wearing them on the wrong feet.  

Alright, I feel like this tells you pretty much everything you need to know :laughing:

E6DOteVXIAUBCEo?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Julius

Sign in to follow this