NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

Well, they just about did it. I don't feel as elated as I did after the Germany game though, will probably sink in later on - it's pretty momentous really. 

Not sure what to expect from the final though, England looked a bit ropey at times tonight but Italy don't look unbeatable either

2 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

My prediction before the game was 2-1 England after extra-time. I'm sticking with that.

Fucking called it, ladssss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

@Fierce_LiNk you're more of a Mystic Meg than Rio Ferdinand

I do think Italy will properly knob us in the final. 2-0. 

All depends if Chiesa is fit enough for it or not, as I think he pulled up towards the end of yesterday's game.

Italy's midfield vs. Rice, Mount, and Phillips. Fuck. Could get messy.

Looking forward to Southgate bringing on Grealish in the last 10 seconds of the final. I bet he makes him sit at a separate table, using plastic cutlery and ordering off the kids menu. 

No fairytale ending for Denmark, then, but the way they bounced back and showed resolve since their first match day after what happened to Eriksen, wearing their hearts on their sleeves and going to the last minute, they've done themselves and their country proud. Schmeichel was immense in goal tonight, really unlucky with the penalty save falling back in the path of Kane, but Denmark just dropped off a bit towards the end of the second half and in extra-time, and you had the feeling it wasn't meant to be after Christensen and then Delaney went down. 

We deserved it on the night, Southgate made the right changes at the right time, Sterling was spectacular, as were the team, doing well to keep their shape and focus up until the end. Very happy we didn't need to experience the stress of penalties, but I agree with @killthenet, Germany felt much, much more stressful, and more momentous, just given how much that rivalry (on our side, at least) has been drilled in from such a young age. 

Italy are absolutely going to be the favourites going into Sunday, they've been the best team in the tournament since the opening match, and have shown a real passion throughout the competition so far. 

It's hard to see them not winning it, but anything is possible in a one-off game of football, especially when their weakness is being overrun on the flanks, and that's arguably where we're strongest. Their midfield give us a torrid time though, I can see us trying to avoid the middle of the pitch.

Our run so far feels similar to Chelsea's in the Champions League, where we've had a bit of luck in the draw but have beat what's in front of us, and now find ourselves with a great chance to make history. 

Time to look ahead to Sunday! 

• Like 1

So while I think the penalty was (extremely) generous, am I remembering right that there was another ball on the pitch in the corner, which Sterling ran past to make the run into the box which ended in the penalty being awarded? I remember thinking that he could've easily swapped balls if he wanted to. 

Obviously it's too late to do anything about now, but that's got to sting even more for Denmark. Swear there was a free kick call towards the end in their favour too that Maguire shrugged off and played on from, and the ref didn't seem to care much. And the laser in Schmeichel's face for the penalty too. 

Sincerely hope that it's Felix Brych refereeing the final, he was brilliant in the Italy v Spain match last night, letting the play run and making some great calls. 

Edited by Julius

For some reason, Portuguese commentators pronounce Harry as "Hurry". As such, they kept accidentally referring to an English player called "Hurricane". I think Kane should run with that branding.

Anyway, congrats to England for outlasting Denmark. But beware: the Euro 2004 final was in Lisbon, and look how that turned out for us. Euro 2016 was in Paris, and look how that turned out for the French. Just saying...

For anyone that missed it: [free agent] Lionel Messi finally won his first major international trophy with Argentina earlier against Brazil, also winning the awards for Player of the Tournament and Top Goalscorer (with 4). He also had a chance to seal the victory towards the end but slipped and fluffed his lines -- it was nice for a change to see this Argentina carrying Messi rather than Messi carrying them. 

And here's a pretty insane stat: this Argentina is the first side to defeat Brazil in a competitive match at the Maracaná since 1950. 

That defeat in 1950 to Uruguay, by the way, was so traumatic that Brazil eventually changed their home kit from white to the yellow we see today. Pretty nuts. Black next? :p

As if the Messi vs Ronaldo debate couldn't get any more heated. Great for Messi to finally have his first major international team trophy, you can't say he hasn't deserved it. 

Edited by Julius

Not saying Argentina winning is all down to them having an Aston Villa player in the squad but I think it's quite telling that Messi and co finally got over the line when they started playing Emi Martinez in goal.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Julius said:

As if the Messi vs Ronaldo debate couldn't get any more heated. Great for Messi to finally have his first major international team trophy, you can't say he hasn't deserved it. 

Argentina Vs Portugal final for the World Cup next year? 

I feel the way I normally feel before having to give a presentation or speak up. Butterflies, shaky jaw, et al. 

I'm absolutely bricking it :laughing:

Same. I am so nervous about this evening. Really hope England can do it but I think Italy are probably the slightly better team and come in as favourites.

We have the home crowd backing us though!

Less than an hour to go. I went with a 2-0 Italy prediction last week and that's what my head is saying. My heart is saying that England might just do it, though. 

BBC is doing one hell of a job with these recaps of our past failures of jinxing us tonight. 

21 minutes ago, Aperson said:

We have the home crowd backing us though!

I think if there's going to be a difference for us, it's going to be here. 

Italy have been the best team since the first day of the tournament, but they're not untouchable. They've made mistakes on the way, pretty glaring ones, which teams haven't capitalised on too well until now -- so, if we can take that chance whenever it comes - and I have a chance that it will - I think we might have a shot. 

I think Italy have been the better team during this tournament so wouldn't be surprised if they win it, but then playing at Wembley for a massive home crowd might work in England's favour. It could go either way in this game!

The BBC just casually sneaking on one of the best defenders in the world during my early childhood in Nesta, you love to see it, one of the reasons Milan was the team to pick back on PES :D was wondering who we'd see to speak about Italy other than Klinsmann! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Just lol at ITV thinking that they're important and showing the game, too. As if anybody is going to watch the game there instead of on the BBC.

Stick with your Peak Practice, ITV. 

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Just lol at ITV thinking that they're important and showing the game, too. As if anybody is going to watch the game there instead of on the BBC.

Sam Matterface on Wednesday trying to reason with viewers like "uhhhhh, football fans are suspicious. We won when you watched it with us, come watch with us again", completely forgetting that he's sitting next to the commentating joke that is Lee Dixon which all but ensures no-one will want to watch it there. 

Remember when Adrian Chiles was somehow given the reins by ITV for hosting the Champions League, back when they had it? They make some really weird choices over there, that's for sure :laughing:

9 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I am!

Only because the streaming is terrible here on iPlayer though. The ITV coverage really is awful, I’m not sure if it’s intentional or they just don’t know they’re currently on?

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Sam Matterface on Wednesday trying to reason with viewers like "uhhhhh, football fans are suspicious. We won when you watched it with us, come watch with us again", completely forgetting that he's sitting next to the commentating joke that is Lee Dixon which all but ensures no-one will want to watch it there. 

Remember when Adrian Chiles was somehow given the reins by ITV for hosting the Champions League, back when they had it? They make some really weird choices over there, that's for sure :laughing:

Matterface is horrific. The actual coverage is alright, but the commentary just isn't up to it. It's a shame as the Champions League matches back in the day used to be iconic. 

The Adrian Chiles choice was...quite something. Can imagine the BBC and SkySports lot bricking it when ITV wheeled him out. :laughing:

Wow, is this the quietest we've heard Il Canto this tournament? It certainly feels like it (and by some margin). 

Boys better come out belting it, give me some chills! 

Sign in to follow this