NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

I think we'll see a similar pattern to yesterday's game. England (like Spain) will have a lot of the ball, but Denmark will hope to get something on the counter. It's all about whether we can get a goal or two in that first half.

18 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I think we'll see a similar pattern to yesterday's game. England (like Spain) will have a lot of the ball, but Denmark will hope to get something on the counter. It's all about whether we can get a goal or two in that first half.

I think the aim will be for us to have a lot of the ball, but as we've seen in the last few minutes with Denmark firmly dominating the flow of the game for a spell, I don't think we have the football intelligence, pitch awareness, or focus that Spain do to actually dominate a game with possession of the ball.

Which I think actually makes trying to emulate that dangerous, as passes start to get misplaced and we stick our feet in where we don't need to. We also have this tendency to drop off for no apparent reason, invite pressure, and get lucky to not concede. We're fortunate to not have come up against a team yet that's had the quality to capitalise on that, but Denmark could. 

Like you say, first goal will be huge. Last 10 have not been a fun watch for us though. 

Edited by Julius

And just like that. Screamer.

Denmark have dominated the last 10, well deserved. Let's see how we bounce back. Think the fact we've conceded our first goal in the tournament in the semi-final could work against us mentally now. 

Edited by Julius

Pickford should totally have had that, imo. It's right in the middle of the goal...

Just knew Damsgaard was going to score then, real test of character for England now 

My prediction before the game was 2-1 England after extra-time. I'm sticking with that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Pickford should totally have had that, imo. It's right in the middle of the goal...

Maybe Courtois was right :p

3 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Just knew Damsgaard was going to score then

Two terrific long range goals so far this tournament from him, he's been a great spark of inspiration for them. 

Also thank goodness we finally saw a free kick scored this tournament. Crazy that we've seen just about everything else imaginable except a direct FK goal, and in the penultimate game no less! 

2 minutes ago, killthenet said:

What a ball from Kane, another one on the board for Own Goals!

Own Goal has had a terrific tournament. He may get top scorer.

Good first half from both sides.

Been pretty different to Italy v Spain in that it's not a constant back and forth from the right of the pitch to the left, with the sides working each other out and one side dominating possession briefly before the other side counters, but rather England and Denmark both having periods where the other side just can't seem to get on the ball. 

Hopefully plenty more goals to come in this second half, that goal from us was certainly coming. You'd hope we'd go out and grab another in the opening 15 minutes of the second half to just get control of the match a bit, we haven't looked too confident at the back so far, and Pickford always looks like he has a mistake in him. 

Need to keep it on the floor, our best moments have been when we’ve trusted our passing. Denmark were best when they were forcing us to go long, knowing they could win the physical battle. This is made for Foden.

How was that a foul and a yellow card for Maguire? Don't really see what else he can do with his arms. 

Maguire needs to make sure he doesn't lose his head though, we all know what happened when he got sent off against Denmark the last time

Gotta bring on both/either Grealish and/or Sancho. Denmark are tiring.

Surprised Southgate only made the one change, don't want to get into the mindset of saving the changes for extra time - try and win it in the 90

2 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Surprised Southgate only made the one change, don't want to get into the mindset of saving the changes for extra time - try and win it in the 90

I get the feeling that he's saving it for extra time. If he puts on another attacker in, say, midfield, there's always the possibility that Denmark can counter and nick the winner. At least with extra time you're guaranteed time.

You just had the feeling that no-one was going to take their chances in that second half. 

Denmark definitely having to dig deep and absorb a lot of pressure, having two of their core players in Delaney and Christensen go off with minor injuries certainly didn't help them and gave us a bit of a boost in terms of momentum. 

Think Southgate was smart to leave subs for extra-time, think Foden could help us shake things up a bit more directly through the middle as we're having to drag Denmark wide at the moment. 

Hope this gets settled in extra-time. 

Also get to mention these two absolute peaches from Lee Dixon:

• "There will be subs made at some point."

• "And that should be time" -- 10 seconds before we actually reached the 5th minute of a 6 minute stoppage time. 

Guess that makes sense but I was petrified Denmark were going to nick one in stoppage time

Really could go either way, getting pretty tense

England have looked much more likely since the start of extra time so the penalty is fully deserved - although Schmeichal did a good job trying to keep it out 

Yeah that was a terrible penalty, unlucky for Schmeichel that it fell back to Kane, not much he could do after that. 

We've been in top since the end of the second half and dominated the first half of extra-time, I can't remember Pitchford getting a touch. 

Another 15 to go. Time to start believing. 

Think that was a very, very generous penalty. I was certain it was going to get overturned. England have done enough to get a second goal, but you have to admit that we've been very fortunate with both goals.

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

Southgate hates Grealish, hope England lose now...

Can't believe he took him off! What is that all about? I think leaving him out from the starting 11 entirely is a massive call anyway, but to bring him on and take him off is just weird. Not sure what he's playing at.

Especially when Sterling has been on for the whole game and Grealish had only been on for half an hour at most you'd have thought that he'd have gone off first

Worried about England going too negative with that substitution, you can't just sit back and see it out

Coming home

edit: go fuck your self 

Edited by LazyBoy

Sign in to follow this