NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

The Netherlands are up against it since the sending off. I get the feeling that if the Czech Rep get one, the floodgates might open.

5 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Upset is on!

Before kickoff, I thought this would be an upset but watching the match it is fully deserved. Well done.

We have got to beat the Germans, we’ll never have an easier route to the final.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

We have got to beat the Germans, we’ll never have an easier route to the final.

I think you can get at Hummels but in truth, I reckon Southgate'll set them up to invite pressure and try to nick it with Sterling on the break.

Even without the sending off the Dutch would have done well to get anything there. Czech Republic caused them so many problems at the back, definitely a deserved victory 

@darksnowman That is exactly the gameplan Southgate will go for, Germany have succumbed to counter attacks a few times already so England can definitely hurt them there but there is always the worry that being so passive comes back to bite them in the arse.

With that side of the draw wide open, giving England such a great chance of reaching the final, it's written in the stars that Germany are going to win on Tuesday.

Beautiful goal from Thorgan. Damn. 

Unlucky because you felt like Portugal were just starting to turn up the pressure, they just didn't get to him to close him down quickly enough. 

Pretty early changes from Portugal in this second half, quite surprised by that. I know they need a change, but taking off the two players who tend to dictate their flow - Moutinho and Bernardo Silva - for two very attacking minded players - Felix and Bruno Fernandes - seems pretty risky at this stage. 

Feel like those substitutions could well end up deciding which way this game swings now. 

It blows my mind that Pepe in the twilight years if his career still hasn't been able to get a handle on his temper. 

Dude needs to chill out. Thorgan challenged Dalot but the whistle had long gone for Lukaku to get his head looked at, and he knew it. There was no pressure on what happened next, he just needed to walk away. 

Match has really started to get heated. 

Belgium are really on the ropes now, Portugal are winning all the aerial duels and picking up the second balls. 

If they get the equaliser and take it to extra time Portugal are going to be wide open in midfield though, they used up all their substitutions bringing on attacking players. 

Took some time to get going, but my oh my that became a good game. Was begging for an equaliser so we could get 30 more.

Italy v Belgium - so so tasty

Belgium really had to ride their luck tonight to get by. Then again, Thorgan's goal was a more than worthy winner. 

Awesome second half, end-to-end for the last 30 minutes and stoppage time, Portugal extremely unlucky to not have the luck of a bounce or bobble go their way and find themselves scoring. Those changes worked, just couldn't get it in the back of the net. 

Ronaldo kept waiting for the international goalscoring record then, and to think -- there might only be one more major international tournament for him with the World Cup. 

Goooood, that second half was tense! Portugal had all the possession and chances, but they (luckily) couldn't finish it off. I kept expecting the ball to go in though!

Italy next, that's going to be another tough one. Not sure we'll make it past them!

I need to vent because it does my head in: I find ITV's football coverage to be absolutely insufferable. 

Lee Dixon in particular. Spent more time sounding miserable and unenthusiastic, talking about knowing Ian Wright, and both him and Ian talking about how Ronaldo's free kick scoring record isn't what people would believe, than he did talking about what was happening on the pitch.

I'm probably jaded by his awful commentary in FIFA (actually, I know I am), but seriously, I'd rather watch the game without commentary when it comes to ITV, and especially Lee Dixon. 

• Like 2

*frustrated grumble*

Well, that's the end of this year's dream. Maybe in the World Cup.

Not to shit-talk Belgium or anything, they played well... but God, this felt like a game where luck just wasn't there, so frustrating. And to drive it home, the Portuguese word for "bad luck" is "azar". Yes, pronounced exactly like the player.

Now, as long as Belgium goes on to win the entire thing, we're cool.

• Like 2

I thought the ref ruined the game actually. He let too many things go in the first half and that set the tone for the second. There was a moment where Lukaku was making a run towards the Portuguese box in the first half and was clearly tugged back, which the ref just completely ignored. He seemed to let too many things just run on, which inevitably led to the tackle on De Bruyne, which saw him go off early in the second half.

Portugal were unlucky in the second half and had all of the ball. But, I thought Belgium did well to just soak up the pressure and ride it out. Sometimes you can't just attack against a team like that, because they'll hit you with Ronaldo or Bruno or Joao Felix. If the Portuguese team that finished the game were the same team that started the first half, I think they would eventually have found a way through.

Portugal taking off Renato Sanches was a crazy move, though. He looked really dangerous, I thought.

As for Belgium, they've only conceded 1 goal so far. That's really good. You need a defence like that to win games like this. Saying that, Italy look the most exciting team in this tournament, so they're the favourites, imo.

One of Belgium, Italy, England, France, or Germany to win it, imo. Tempted to say it'll be a France vs. Germany final, if that's still possible.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, killthenet said:

@darksnowman That is exactly the gameplan Southgate will go for, Germany have succumbed to counter attacks a few times already so England can definitely hurt them there but there is always the worry that being so passive comes back to bite them in the arse.

With that side of the draw wide open, giving England such a great chance of reaching the final, it's written in the stars that Germany are going to win on Tuesday.

Yeah, he sends them out with the number one priority being the clean sheet, and whatever they can string together in the attacking third then so be it. Germany are vulnerable at the back so England will fancy their chances, but Germany have also been scoring goals and if they find the net against England, who knows how England will respond? Will they open up and chase the game? Will they go even further into themselves and try to get out of there with a dignified 1-0 loss? Who knows. England are a bit of an unknown quantity, at least character-wise to me. 

I'm starting to think it's time England just won one of these things so we can get it out of the way and reset the clock. Like Murray winning Wimbledon and Liverpool winning the league. Maybe just getting it over with would be best so we can all move on. :p Chance would be a fine thing. 

Belgium getting Portugal out of the way (sorry @Jonnas, someone had to go and this time it's your lot) doesn't really clear a path for them with Italy next in line. So many genuine contenders nowadays. Italy will have to be on their game because if Belgium can create for Lukaku it'll be game over. And even if they don't manage to find Lukaku in good positions, somebody like Hazard could rifle one in like last night! :o It's going to be another quality duel. Bobby Mancini should outsmart Bobby Martinez but you just never know. The duel of the Bobbies here we come!

Edited by darksnowman
duel of the fates

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Brilliant goal.

Calamity. :laughing: Is this how Spain show us how to dominate possession, score and go out.

Absolute howler from Simón that, but way too much fizz on it for a backpass, just took an unlucky bounce. 

Croatia ahead and they'd done nothing to this point to warrant it. Spain were very much on top before, tough to not have something like that not knock your confidence. 

Edited by Julius

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Absolute howler from Símon that, but way too much fizz on it for a backpass, just took an unlucky bounce. 

Croatia ahead and they'd done nothing to this point to warrant it. Spain were very much on top before, tough to not have something like that not knock your confidence. 

Ha, I still think the keeper should have controlled it. Especially at this level with tippy-tappy play it out from the back philosophy goalies adhere to.

Meant to get your thoughts on that penalty Spain were awarded against Slovakia, if you remember it? The way I saw it, the Slovak defender was already into the slide tackle motion before the Spaniard nipped in and won the penalty. So, I thought Slovakia were hard done by on that one. You?

Sign in to follow this