NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

The Danish FA has just tweeted (via Google translate): "Christian Eriksen is awake and his condition remains stable. He remains hospitalized at Rigshospitalet for further examinations. The match against Finland will be played tonight. This happens after the players have been confirmed that Christian is okay. The match resumes at 20.30."

Very surprised they are still going ahead with the match this evening.

• Thanks 1

Looks like the match will be resumed in 20 minutes. (H-o-T was faster)

I'll reserve judgement until I know who was involved in the decision making and how that went down.

Edited by drahkon

Just now, Aperson said:

I'm sorry... the match is restarting at 20:30? What?

Half 7 our time. 

If that's true, then ok. Don't have to agree with the players' decision but it is their decision.

(and H-o-T was faster again)

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 3

Apparently the players have decided that the show must go on. :woops:

What about the other match, then? Overlap?

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

What about the other match, then? Overlap?

Yeah, looks that way. 

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Very surprised they are still going ahead with the match this evening.

After all of the players left the pitch I remember reading on the BBC website that there still hadn't been official word from UEFA that the match had actually been cancelled yet, which felt a little bizarre. 

I also feel like this is very neglectful to the players. It's awesome that Eriksen seems to be doing okay and will hopefully only continue to improve with recovery, but playing a football match after having the adrenaline you'd have pumping through you after witnessing something like that is dangerous because there's an increased risk of injury just due to the fatigue they'd be facing. At least they're not kicking off from the start of the first half again, though. 

My hope would be that the players said they want to go ahead in solidarity and for the fans (misplaced or not I think that's the optimistic take), but more realistically, it's probably UEFA pushing for them to do this to avoid scheduling conflicts. 

• Like 1

German commentator said that Eriksen apparently talked with his team via a video call and told them they should play. Don't have any sources myself, but the commentator said the German broadcasting team got the info from a very reliable source.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

German commentator said that Eriksen apparently talked with his team via a video call and told them they should play. Don't have any sources myself, but the commentator said the German broadcasting team got the info from a very reliable source.

That would definitely be the ideal scenario I'd hope for, so fingers crossed there's some truth to it. Still a little dangerous in terms of fatigue I feel, but would much rather it be because of this than UEFA pushing it on them! 

Looks like Southgate's going for the "we're gonna concede one less than you" approach.

Buckets of vindaloo at the ready!

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Looks like Southgate's going for the "we're gonna concede one less than you" approach.

Buckets of vindaloo at the ready!

Solid start for England. I was honestly expecting to get battered off Croatia but they were quite toothless. Had our finishing been a little better we could have had a couple of more goals. I really appreciated the start we had. Coming out and having a go from the start is what I wanted to see. Nothing worse than just sitting back and waiting for the game to come to them. 

• Like 2

Glad the match picked up enough for us to get a goal because after that first 10-15 minutes it was boring as hell.

Probably the most controlled single match I've watched by an England team at a tournament in my lifetime - let's be honest that's not saying much! - a very solid showing, particularly that first 15 minutes. 

Kalvin Philips was excellent, MOTM stuff, very disruptive in the middle of the park, showed a lot of courage and positivity moving forwards. Feel like our weak link was on the left, Trippier didn't offer much going forwards and looked shaky at times at the back, would hope that we see Chilwell start in his place next time out, but I'm sure Gareth will continue to justify his presence with his previous tournament experience. 

Croatia never really got going, H-o-T you're right in saying they were toothless, think they miss the dark horse and wild card that Mandzukic was for them, he had a knack for pulling a goal out of absolutely nothing. 

Hopefully we only get stronger from here, think we've shown the other teams in our group that Croatia is there for the taking. 

• Like 1

Was happy with that in the end. One too many nothing performances for me (Walker, Kane, Trippier) but Phillips was superb. Must compliment Southgate on the Kane>Bellingham change though - just as Croatia looked like they might have a late rally, that sub killed their midfield momentum. Good stuff, and sets us up nicely. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it was a decent performance from England. Croatia were a bit rubbish but England seem to have learned from the past that you can't just go on the defensive as soon as you go a goal up - they maintained a threat throughout the rest of the game even when they took Kane off for Bellingham the shape didn't change much which is a good sign that Southgate's mentality has changed since 2018.

Kalvin Phillips was the stand out player, didn't give the Croatian midfield any time on the ball at all and was a threat going forward a few times too (setting up the goal the most notable contribution on that front) 

It's as good as you could hope for from an opening game, teams that start really well never seem to go on and win tournaments, you want a solid, not spectacular win to get the points in the bag and to steadily grow into the tournament - set the expectations low so people don't get carried away

Kalvin Phillips, take a bow son! So happy to see a Leeds player back in the England squad. 

First 15 mins were great from England. Hopefully a sign of things to come. We controlled the game well and the overall performance was much better than in the World Cup as others have pointed out. Three points on the board against the last WC finalists. The hard work from this group is done (sorry Scotland) and I hope GS gets a little more experimental in the next two games so we can really see our best 11 going forward. 

Best game so far. Respect to Ukraine, they were great in transition. De Jong is a hell of a player though isn’t he. 

• Like 1

Scotland don’t deserve to be 1-0 down. They’ve been the better team but just haven’t converted their chances.

Sign in to follow this