NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

I'm pretty sure he'll get another job very soon, whether that be at Celtic or back in the Championship, he won't be out of a job for long

3 hours ago, killthenet said:

I'm pretty sure he'll get another job very soon, whether that be at Celtic or back in the Championship, he won't be out of a job for long

I see what you’re thinking there, sneaky. If only we could get Scholes the managerial job at Hibernian. 

Those VAR decisions were hard on Southampton, on the balance of play Villa didn't really deserve to win that but we've had enough bad luck this season that I'm not going to complain that it finally turned in our favour. 

Terrific goal though, the cross from Grealish was incredible but Barkley did really well with the header. 

I didn't think this season could get any worse but... it has!

What was that deadline day? In the last few days our best midfielder Matt Smith has been recalled from loan to Arsenal. Fair enough, we have quite a few loans now in an attempt to fix the defence but that should NOT come at the expense of the midfield and unfortunately we've now lost our best central midfielder.

As if that wasn't enough we've replaced him with Christopher Missilou. A player who has only ever played in League Two in this country and a player who struggled to get into the Northampton team. Then to add to everything else we signed Jordan Garrick on loan from Swansea, which is nice but what's this? Kieron Freeman has joined Swansea as part of the loan deal? What? The cost of getting Garrick on loan was to just give away Kieron Freeman. You know what's even crazier? Freeman ONLY JOINED THE CLUB IN JANUARY! Yes, you read that right.

OK, that's not all, Diallang Jaiyesimi was sold to Charton. So that's our other best player now gone. Conveniently enough transfer deadline day is coinciding with a court case that the owner Lee Power is having to attend over the club's ownership. He wants to sell the club but has been challenged by investors over whether he actually owns the club entirely and if they win, they would have to consult him over the sale.

It's such a farce. This club is a sinking ship and all this happened right before a massive relegation six pointer against Wigan who've been almost just as bad in the league as us this season. We should never have appointed John Sheridan and Lee Power clearly doesn't care what happens to us anymore. He's been in charge for 7 years and managed to give the club at least some form of stability as well as make progress on the training ground but its come at the expense of Swindon constantly slipping in standards from being a club that was midtable in League One to one that is struggling to even stay in League One before it slips straight back into League Two. Who knows? Conference if things get worse.

Sheridan Out. Power Out.

That 9-0 game was insane. It was like every time we went forward, we scored. So many different scorers, too. The tackle by their man to earn the first red card was dangerous and he definitely needed to go. It could have ended up being a really, really hard game where Southampton could have just sat back and made it horrible for us, but they were too open. Unfortunately, I think they were very naive with the way that they were trying to play with 10 men. Admirable, but more than a bit reckless. I thought we played very well and McTominay had a stellar game, as did Luke Shaw, who is suddenly starting to look like one of the best left backs in the league at the moment. Quality player. This is the player we thought we had signed.

The refereeing in the game was annoying as fuck. We should've had a penalty in the first half, but that was called a freekick when it looked like it was right on the line of the box. Southampton had a good goal disallowed for...some reason. I did think it was a foul on Martial for the penalty but the red card for that was stupid. To top it all though, this is the only game that I've ever seen in my lifetime where the amount of goals scored in one half is greater than the number of minutes of added on time. 3 minutes for a half that continued 5 goals, a sending off, a huge and length VAR call for their disallowed goal, another huge delay for our penalty and their red card, and just general time spent in between goals. We could have broken a few records last night as we surely would've scored more had we had another few more minutes. :laughing:

Overall, insane game. I loved it. Harsh on Southampton, who I do like and Hassenhuttl is a quality manager. But, we needed a big performance and we got it, so it's just unfortunate they were on the other end.

• Like 1

Yeah don't think we can learn too much from the 9-0 unfortunately, but you got to take those gimmes when they're presented to you. Everton game very important now to show Sheffield U and Arsena were just blips.

Also I think Mike Dean generally gets too much stick, but that was one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen. 

Merseyside derby was quite interesting. Thought Everton were entirely comfortable and Liverpool never really looked like scoring. You could argue that the penalty was slightly harsh, but I don't think it made too much of a difference to the flow of the game. Liverpool had more of the ball but did nothing with it, whereas Everton always had an "out" option with Calvert-Lewin up top. What a player he's turned out to be.

On other day, I think Liverpool would have made their possession count, but they just can't make it happen around the box. It just highlights how big a problem it is relying on two players (Salah and Mane) to get virtually of the goals. That midfield need to start contributing more.

I see Germany's Head Coach has announced he will be leaving after the Euros. I wonder if Klopp will take up the job and use this as an excuse to leave Liverpool. Personally I would prefer him to stay but who knows what will happen given our current form.

Edited by Happenstance

Well it puts him in as strong a position as he'll ever get - give me the money to rebuild or I'm off.

I can't see Liverpool and Klopp splitting after this year. They are the perfect match for each other.

As tough as this year has been results wise, I honestly think that all the team needs is a mental break (i.e. a proper off-season) and for key players to return. Clear out the likes Origi and Shaqiri / Ox and get a couple of additional players in and before you know it, they'll be back to winning ways.

6 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I can't see Liverpool and Klopp splitting after this year. They are the perfect match for each other.

As tough as this year has been results wise, I honestly think that all the team needs is a mental break (i.e. a proper off-season) and for key players to return. Clear out the likes Origi and Shaqiri / Ox and get a couple of additional players in and before you know it, they'll be back to winning ways.

That's definitely my hope.

*sigh* This club is a freaking joke

Just as we get a key win against Bristol Rovers we go on a downward spiral in terms of form. But we still have a chance against Rochdale and Wimbledon right?

Nope, lost 2-1 to Rochdale in midweek and now absolutely hammered by Wimbledone today, they were 4-0 up before we got the late goal to make it 4-1. Absolultely terrible performance though and the manager has shown great dignity by resigning... just as its pretty much impossible for us to stay up. Bottom of the league, too far adrift of safety and we've played all the other struggling teams in the league. The club is a mess, an ongoing court case and FA charge hangs over it, everything is falling apart and we have to get a complete new set of owners, manager and players in order to stand a chance of even staying in the Football League and even then it might not be enough.

It wasn't so long ago that the club won League Two but in typical Swindon fashion we have completely imploded and being owned by a series of dodgy owners is really coming home to roost. I think the Swindon fans trust should buy out the club but the club have ceased communication with the fans trust and now its looking pretty dim. The sad part of this is that Sheridan is resigning before relegation is officially confirmed just so he can still say he's never been relegated... that will explain your positive CV if you're ducking out of the roles before the relegation gets confirmed. Even if you've never been relegated you've no doubt contributed to multiple relegations so stuff you!

Can someone explain the issue with this super League? All I can tell is that a bunch of clubs are planning on doing some extra matches between them, an I really don't understand the problem with that.

On social media the theres loads of outrage, calling for bans, points reductions, now allowing any player (many of which will have contracts and no choice) to take part in the world cup and stuff like that...buy no actual reason. All stuff that would usually be called "cancel culture" for some subjects.

There are calls about greed, but greed is pretty deeply rooted into football, especially FIFA (which is also full of corruption).

Unless FIFA do something drastic, what exactly will change? These clubs will still be part of the league's, they'll just be in some additional matches that you don't have to watch. I can understand saying that you'll boycott the new league, I just don't understand the calls for punishing them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cube said:

These clubs will still be part of the league's, they'll just be in some additional matches that you don't have to watch.

These clubs will most likely hugely benefit financially from this league, in turn making them even more able to spend for high value players. The gap between those teams and "smaller" teams will get larger and that would mean boring national leagues (unless teams from the Super League will not play there).

Then there's things like players' health (more matches mean higher risk of injury and also more "wear and tear") and a more expensive hobby/passion for fans (more matches to watch/travel to).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

These clubs will most likely hugely benefit financially from this league, in turn making them even more able to spend for high value players. The gap between those teams and "smaller" teams will get larger and that would mean boring national leagues (unless teams from the Super League will not play there).

Then there's things like players' health (more matches mean higher risk of injury and also more "wear and tear") and a more expensive hobby/passion for fans (more matches to watch/travel to).

Those are some good points I've not seen anyone mention.

Just now, Cube said:

Those are some good points I've not seen anyone mention.

Well, you shouldn't look for good points in social media :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mourinho has been sacked, but I don’t know if the reason why is true... if it is, well done Jose!

Edited by Kav

4 minutes ago, Kav said:

Mourinho has been sacked, but I don’t know if the reason why is true... if it is, well done Jose!

Hahah what a legend. He'll come out of this a hero if this is true. Single-handedly making everyone talk about this rather than his poor performance at Spurs. 

The Special One. 

1 hour ago, Cube said:

Can someone explain the issue with this super League? All I can tell is that a bunch of clubs are planning on doing some extra matches between them, an I really don't understand the problem with that.

On social media the theres loads of outrage, calling for bans, points reductions, now allowing any player (many of which will have contracts and no choice) to take part in the world cup and stuff like that...buy no actual reason. All stuff that would usually be called "cancel culture" for some subjects.

There are calls about greed, but greed is pretty deeply rooted into football, especially FIFA (which is also full of corruption).

Unless FIFA do something drastic, what exactly will change? These clubs will still be part of the league's, they'll just be in some additional matches that you don't have to watch. I can understand saying that you'll boycott the new league, I just don't understand the calls for punishing them.

"These clubs will still be part of the league's" - that remains to be seen. Very real possibility that if these clubs go ahead with it without approval from their leagues / governing bodies then they will be kicked out.

It's greed because what they are essentially doing is having all of the pie to themselves and not sharing. A European Super League would usurp the Champions League as the richest and most prestigious European club competition, the big teams will prioritise it over the rest. The way it is set up is so that the founding clubs have full control and split the money between themselves. The four Champions League spots in the EPL are fiercely contested and missing out means missing out of hundreds of millions of pounds. In the ESL, there'll be no relegation or threat of not qualifying so even if they do badly there's no loss of income.

The premier league was created in somewhat similar circumstances. Previously the TV income would be distributed to all 92 clubs in the football league. The breakaway to form the premier league meant the top 20 clubs were independent of the football league and could make their own TV deals and split the money between just themselves. This has lead to a growing gap between the richest clubs and the rest in the last 30 years. The ESL will do a similar thing: make the richest clubs richer and let everyone else rot. Doesn't matter how they spin it, it just smacks of greed.

It's also a slap in the face to fair competition. How can my club Oxford United enter the European Super League? Do we need to be bought by the state of Qatar or something to qualify?

I am a football fan, but over the last ten years my interest in premier league football has diminished substantially. I just struggle to care anymore. I still follow my local team though, football may not be as good but at least it feels like I'm supporting a real club rather than some IPL franchise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicktendo said:

Hahah what a legend. He'll come out of this a hero if this is true. Single-handedly making everyone talk about this rather than his poor performance at Spurs. 

The Special One. 

It’s not true...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Cube said:

Grassroots and lower level football depends heavily on the money which trickles down from the top of the footballing pyramid, especially here in England, and that's hundreds of millions of pounds per year. It goes without saying that, by and large, that money is generated by the top teams, such as in the Premier League. 

Clubs cannot enter other competitions without getting the nod from their respective FA's/leagues, I would imagine mainly for two reasons: 1) potential scheduling conflicts, and 2) (much bigger in my eyes) the importance each competition is seen as having. I think we already see this to some extent with the League and FA Cup, because until the last half a decade or so where more money has been pumped in through sponsorship deals than ever before, the former was rarely considered a major trophy, and to most football fans, is overshadowed by the FA Cup. These Founding Clubs have put out a statement stating that they plan to start this league without conferring with their respective FA's/leagues, who obviously would have told them that it was a stupid idea and they weren't allowed to join. I think they're well within their rights to remove them from the competition. 

It is about greed, I think it's pretty plain and simple, and you just have to look at the names involved; unsurprisingly, the ringleaders are the Americans (FSG/Liverpool and Glazers/United) and apparently Real Madrid too. Current reports are that the involved clubs would be projected to take in some £300 million per year vs the approximate £100 million - £120 million per year in revenue they make now from ticket sales, broadcasting rights, etc., and as @Zell rightly pointed out they'd stand to make a killing from splitting away too because these clubs would own their own broadcasting rights rather than having them lumped in to be part of some big deal with Sky/BT/whoever else. Can you imagine each club having their own subscription deals to watch their games? 

And let's not mention the other stakeholders in this besides those at the top looking to line their pockets further: the fans, the managers, and the players. 

A European Super League wouldn't have the history of the Champions League/European Cup behind it, fans would have to travel abroad more frequently, and let's not forget just how tone deaf it is to announce this WHILE STADIUMS ARE ONLY JUST STARTING TO HAVE FANS COME BACK. I think there's also a big chance that something not being shared with us at this point is plans for some (maybe even most?) of these games to take place in Asia or America, as we've seen happen with more and more cup competition finals in recent years, and again, that's more money being spent by the fans. 

From a manager perspective, they very, very clearly haven't been spoken to about this, which will make today's press conferences even more interesting. I think you're about to see some names rightly dragged through the dirt today, and while I don't think the apparent Mourinho strike has been backed up by anyone yet, ahead of a cup final this weekend, this may potentially have had something to do with his sacking too. 

From a player perspective, the threat to not play for your country is huge, and one I wouldn't be surprised to see huge players speak out against. Ronaldo isn't too far off from the international goal scoring record, and now there's the potential he might not be allowed to play international football anymore? Right, like he or anyone else is going to take this lying down. 

For players, football isn't always just about the money - this is a fact. And it's similar for fans. It is about making history, beating records, stories of fantasy and drama. You don't see things like Leicester winning the league as this amazing thing if the best clubs in the country aren't even in the competition to begin with! What's at stake in a competition like this? Is there anything at stake in a competition like this? 

Feel it's also worth mentioning that they put this out the evening before the new format for the Champions League was due to be ratified, it's clearly a move from these clubs who have been against the new format to make their point loud and clear. 

And then we see the teams involved and Arsenal and Tottenham are clearly their based on their Big Six status only, because it's not like they've done anything on note on the big stage in the last decade or so. Heck, same goes for Inter Milan and AC Milan before this season too. And now, as Gary Neville rightly put it, these clubs think they have the God given right to be considered amongst Europe's most elite? 

It's an absolute joke. I've been a Chelsea fan since I was little, but this is the first time where I've seriously questioned if I should continue supporting the club. There is already a lot of money in football, or new owners coming in (to an extent), but the issue isn't just clubs wanting money, it's the unrelenting greed which has grown and grown as they have made more and more money. Yes, this is a business, but it's a business revolving around a sport, not a boardroom. I think of United, where suits and ties just swooped in, drove the club into the ground, and have spent over £1 billion over the last 8 years and have no major silverware to show for it. 

People are applauding PSG for not joining, but their owners have stakes in beIN Sports, so even their decision to not join is driven by a conflict of interest, otherwise I can guarantee they'd be there! And while Dortmund and Bayern I think are doing well and haven't accepted this, there are still three slots remaining, and that's a lot of money, but I think the obvious pressure from a majority fan-owned club allows for that. England needs to follow suit, or else some of these should be sent to the shadow realm, be it deducting points, relegation, or forcing them out of the competition altogether.

It's disgraceful in my eyes. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 7

53 minutes ago, Julius said:

From a manager perspective, they very, very clearly haven't been spoken to about this, which will make today's press conferences even more interesting. I think you're about to see some names rightly dragged through the dirt today, and while I don't think the apparent Mourinho strike has been backed up by anyone yet, ahead of a cup final this weekend, this may potentially have had something to do with his sacking too. 

The Mourinho sacking is clearly just a diversion tactic by Levy, no way they would sack a manager six days before a cup final otherwise. This way they divert some of the discussion away from the ESL announcements.

I have been a Manchester United fan for close to 30 years and am disgusted by this announcement, I really hope that the FA/EPL/Uefa/Fifa/whoever find a way to stamp this out before it gains any sort of traction. However, if they were to follow through on threats of kicking teams out of the Premier League then where does that leave that competition? Suddenly the six best (although that's clearly debatable based on league position and recent tournament success) teams are no longer in the league, this in turn would reduce the appeal for broadcasting rights, etc. The best players could also in theory follow the money, so could the Premier League survive without these teams? 

• Like 1

Honestly, I say let them go for it. 

As Julius alluded to, this is a money move to have games staged in Asia, the US and the rest of the world. Let the "big 6" have their cake and eat it. Let them try and make all the money they think they will. I know the home fans and 99% of the U.K. football fans would completely reject this and simply switch off. I'm already past that point with the Champions League and it's ever-bloated pure idiocy of not even really being a "Champion's" league. Most players would probably walk away if they weren't allowed to play for their country. They'll be left with U.K., Spanish and Italian teams in name only with teams filled with the the type of player who goes to China "for a new challenge" - i.e. ageing journeymen who only care about cash. The quality will dip massively, the fans who actually are interested will be thousands of miles away in India, China and America.

The European leagues can carry on without these annoying billionaires thinking they're bigger than the game itself. Would probably give the Premier League and English football the chance to reorganise itself away from the same big teams dominating every year and, after a drop off in quality for a few years, it would thrust better-run clubs into the limelight who can compete on a sensible budget, something the English game has been crying out for for years. 

As one bloke almost said one time, "I will love it if they piss off, love it". 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this