NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

Scotland have actually qualified for a major tournament. Didn't think I'd live to see them do it again but we're there! Should have won it in normal time really but you they never make it easy. 

Gutted for NI though, would have been awesome for all the home nations to get there.

• Like 1

Atrocious VAR decision in the last minute of the Villa game, Trez went down and the referee pointed to the spot then VAR asked him to take a look at the replay and he overruled himself because Solly March got a slight touch of the ball. Touching the ball or not, he still fouled Trez so a penalty should have been awarded to Villa. 

Disappointing slips at the back again for us though, and without Barkley we lacked a bit of spark that would usually afford the front line more space in the final third. 

• Like 1

VAR should be a good thing but my oh my poor officiating is really taking away from it!

United got lucky thanks to it yet again. They’ve really had poor decisions go their way.

1 hour ago, Kav said:

VAR should be a good thing but my oh my poor officiating is really taking away from it!

United got lucky thanks to it yet again. They’ve really had poor decisions go their way.

I think VAR (or rather the people officiating it) isn't really benefitting anyone. Everyone is suffering from the inconsistencies of it. Yesterday's game was ridiculous and I can't work out why West Brom didn't have their penalty. Ours was given for the exact same reason as the one that Palace got against us earlier this season, so at least that's consistent...ish. I don't have a problem with the retake and it's great that the rule about keepers and their line is finally being enforced after years of it not being so. Although, whether that's what the rule should or shouldn't be is another question entirely.

Football is just fucking weird, atm. I spend most of the games waiting for the next incident or VAR-call, or penalty, or handball. It's not the same game as the one that I grew up with. 

I thought United were trash yesterday and very, very lucky to get away with it. It's one poor performance too many. We really need the next person after Ole to be the right one, because we're going nowhere.

Would love to watch Asif Kapadia's Maradona documentary again. Fascinating place and time that Maradona was a part of. And of course he was brilliant.  

Very sad news about Maradona. Although he wasn't my personal favourite or somebody that I was particularly fond of, his contribution to the game is without question. A true legend of the sport. I keep meaning to watch the film/documentary about him, as I hear great things about it.

In other football related news: United made it very hard for themselves today, but I thought they were more than good enough for those three points. We missed so many good chances and, tbh, Southampton scored with their two best efforts in the game. Aside from that and a little bit on either side of halftime, I thought we were more than doing enough to win it. Ole should've started with Cavani, who has looked great recently. Looked immense today! Pleased to see VDB starting and looking good, too. Overall, exciting game!

It's been a weekend of hating football but has been made a little more tolerable by the draw at Stamford Bridge!

Who are these stringent offside rules actually benefiting? Every team has suffered the consequences of a goal that would have been perfectly legitimate 2 seasons ago being ruled out because of pedantic VAR officials. Villa made some errors themselves in the game, we should have at least been level before Watkins equaliser was ruled out, but VAR has ultimately cost us a point. 

The officials don't seem to be sticking to the 'clear and obvious error' schtick, it took them two minutes fiddling with a digital ruler to work out that Watkins was ever so slightly offside, it takes all the fun out of the game having to sit and wait for them to screw the attacking team over. Among other things, the offside rule needs to be seriously reconsidered - the whole point originally was to prevent teams goal hanging, not chalk off a well worked goal because one players arm was slightly ahead of anothers.

• Like 1

I keep saying how they should revert the offside rule back to how it used to be, similar to the goal-line rule... if the whole of the player is beyond the last line of defence then it’s offside, just as the whole of the ball needs to be across the line for a goal.

As far as an “unfair advantage” goes, that’s the risk a defender runs when pushing up for offside. It just means the forward timed their run better.

Solskjaer completely fucked that up. Im normally supportive but that was some of the stupidest fucking management I have ever seen not taking Fred of.

And get rid of Martial. Don't sell him, just take him out back and a bullet in his head. A fucking embarrassment of a performance.

Bit of a scrappy game between Villa and Wolves, I think the number of cards was in double digits by the end of the match. Neither team really deserved to win but I'm not complaining that we got the 3 points, will need to rotate our squad in midweek though after picking up some suspensions - first time we'll have really mixed things up so far this season 

Really sad to hear that. He seemed to be a manager that all the players loved and continued to love Liverpool even after he left. :( 

That's terrible news about Houllier. Putting aside the rivalry between clubs, he seemed like a very decent and classy man. R.I.P. 

"Who let the Reds out?" was more for me than a cheesy chant from the home fans at Anfield about Houllier. There was more than an element of truth to it!

I couldn't really thank the man enough for some of the best times I had as a Liverpool supporter at the start of the new millennium and for setting us on the road for where we are today. The Champions League trophy we won in 2005 owes as much to Houllier as it did to Benitez and I was glad to hear that the players acknowledged that on the night of the final during their celebrations.

Rest in peace, Gerard.

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1

Sir Alex's comments about Houllier had me choking up earlier.

"The news has come as a total shock this morning," said Sir Alex. "Gerard Houllier was still a young man at the age of 73.

“Gerard became a really good friend during his time at Liverpool. We remained great friends after he left and he was always a great ally to have.

“He had fantastic football knowledge which he gained during his extensive and varied career. When we saw each other at UEFA meetings or other events, we would often enjoy a chat, he was always great company and I will miss him dearly. He was a true gentleman.

“It is a sad day for the football world and my thoughts are with his family at this desperately sad time."

• Like 1

Fully deserved the 3 points from the match this evening. It wasn't an easy game and it was very frustrating watching how much possession we had and yet we couldn't bury it. Klopp smiling/laughing at Jose complaining at the end was beautiful. :D 

The right team won that game. Spurs had some great chances to get the winner, but they just couldn't do it. Bergwijn had two! I don't really rate him at all and don't think it'll be too long before Jose upgrades on him. 

It's a mark of how crazy this season is that if United win their 2 games in hand they'd be one point ahead of Tottenham (after 13 games of course). Not that I fancy them to win those games however - I'm honestly worried we'll drop points to bottom of the table Sheffield United tonight.

Frustrating result for Villa tonight, it was our first draw of the season but it should have been a win really. Burnley never looked like threatening in the second half and, despite how resolute they were, we carved open a couple of opportunities that should have ended up in the back of the net so it really feels like two points dropped. 

It's going to be an interesting Christmas period, the top half of the table is so tight I feel like anybody could top the table come the New Year. United haven't been that convincing at all this season, yet they would be right at the top if they win their game in hand.

United v Leeds is certainly the game of the weekend, and not just because of the history. Leeds are all energy and that high press will make United look like the clusterfuck they can be at the back. Meanwhile they'll leave plenty of space for our forwards to run into, and in Rashford, Bruno and Greenwood we have one of the best attacks in the world (they have to be to compensate for all our other deficiencies). Could be a very high scoring game. 

One point ahead of media darling Frank Lampard's Chelsea now with a game in hand, and yet I doubt the disrespect Ole gets will stop. He's made mistakes (hell look at my post further up), and he's not a trendy 'system' manager. But the amount of pundits who still seem to treat him as some kind of tribute act is incredible. Its not like he not got results - 10 away wins on the bounce is not nothing. We're really entertaining to watch too - check out that last goal from last night if you haven't already. But most of all there is a tangible feeling of progress. He has yet to make a dud signing, which puts him a mile ahead of our previous 3 managerial failures. As long as he keeps doing that I see no reason why we can't just be patient.

• Like 1

Didn't mean to post in here, but I suppose I'll just retrofit it to be about football instead. 

It's a shame that there won't be any fans at the Man Utd v Leeds game, both sets of supporters will have been looking forward to facing each other in the top flight for years. 

Edited by killthenet

Sign in to follow this