NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Spellbreak

So I was randomly hitting up @DriftKaiser and he told me about this interesting new offering. F2P; basically a pewpew wizard battle royale. Only had a few games so far and its felt a bit empty/unchallenging but I have died a few times too! Battle has been fun when it's actually occured too.

Anyone else out there been playing? I'm on PS4 with cross-play turned off but if it doesn't pick up too much I may see how it goes with it on.

Edit: article from Kotaku for context;

https://kotaku.com/spellbreak-is-avatar-the-last-airbender-the-battle-ro-1844999545

I've played this a bit yesterday and it's pretty fun! Good to see a Battle Royale with some new ideas; magic instead of weapons. Runs solid and looks okay enough for a Battle Royale game. I've played about 4 games and I've won 2, so I was quite happy with that haha. 

The magic system is actually pretty fun to use. Basically you can have 2 gauntlets; the one on your right arm is fixed and you can choose which element it is before a match. Your left arm one you can pick up on the map from chests or people you've killed.

There are a number of different elements: Fire, ice, earth, wind, lighting, poison; I think about 8 or so. Each element has 2 attacks, a rapid-fire and an area spell (like a firewall, or a whirlwind). The cool thing is that you can combine those. So for example say I cast a whirlwind and then shoot it with fire it's a fiery whirlwind. Not everything combines though. I can throw up a firewall but shooting it with ice nullifies it.

Next to that you have a movement spell for the A button (short teleport, dash, jump, stuff like that). B is jumping and you can also hover a bit as well. For the rest it is your typical Battle Royale, with equipment to be picked up, health and armour potions, the works. 

Would be cool to get some squads going with this! For an impression, @Londragon made some Let's Play vids:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I've played this a bit yesterday and it's pretty fun! Good to see a Battle Royale with some new ideas; magic instead of weapons. Runs solid and looks okay enough for a Battle Royale game. I've played about 4 games and I've won 2, so I was quite happy with that haha. 

The magic system is actually pretty fun to use. Basically you can have 2 gauntlets; the one on your right arm is fixed and you can choose which element it is before a match. Your left arm one you can pick up on the map from chests or people you've killed.

There are a number of different elements: Fire, ice, earth, wind, lighting, poison; I think about 8 or so. Each element has 2 attacks, a rapid-fire and an area spell (like a firewall, or a whirlwind). The cool thing is that you can combine those. So for example say I cast a whirlwind and then shoot it with fire it's a fiery whirlwind. Not everything combines though. I can throw up a firewall but shooting it with ice nullifies it.

Next to that you have a movement spell for the A button (short teleport, dash, jump, stuff like that). B is jumping and you can also hover a bit as well. For the rest it is your typical Battle Royale, with equipment to be picked up, health and armour potions, the works. 

Would be cool to get some squads going with this! For an impression, @Londragon made some Let's Play vids:

Are you guys Switching? I'm on PS4 but given the accounts and crossplay enabled I presume there may be ways to party even cross platform? Have downloaded on Switch as well anyway tho 😅

Really loving it. Usually BRs frustrate me but something about the big battle action in this makes it a bit less so. I can see more depth than I'm actually percieving/looking at at the moment but that's just a bit of more to look forward to. Mostly just been doing squads mode with crossplay on so far; my MMR or the players are definitely balancing out and it isn't the cake it felt like before; but I'm enjoyijng it! Have annoyingly had a couple times where teammates were either stupid or trolling and blasting me but also had a few cool squads and wins. Endgame small circle stuff can be very fun.

I'm playing on Switch yeah, haven't really checked how the crossplay works! I think you can add friends based on account and you can then invite them into your lobby.

STILL no takers for this?? I'm at my folks atm due to a bit of surgery and not got my PS4 but had a game on Switch this morn(probs with crossplay off) - I'm dockless atm so handheld but played with loose/handheld joycons - may need to tweak settings doesn't feel as fluid to my body as PS4 version but the differences aren't major and thankfully despite losing one squad member early(and us all being scattered miles across the map) I caught up with a queen of a killer of was smashing shit left right and centre whilst I was mostly assists/cover fire. Game gets super fun at small circle stuff and still its felt to me like the least frustrating of all the BRs I've played. Still got depths to it I haven't considered too much too in the 'levelling' system and the talent system. The 'levelling' is in-match and kinda cool - you essentially get more powerful over time and thus can utilise your spells/gauntlets im diff ways. Also whilst frustrating getting a secondary gauntlet to match primary - the idea of giving the 'Primary' some more abilities(you pick primary at match outset cannot change secondaries you find and swap) from the outset is a nice touch. For example Primary frost can make quick frost paths to travel on and feels super cool - but if you pick it up secondary it doesnt seem to have that as part of it.

@Julius I know you mentioned before about crossplaying with your bro now you've moved out and him having a switch - ofc you havent got a ps5 yet but I do believe you CAN crossplay with the system on this. I haven't tested it but I can't see anything suggesting it isn't doable atm.

Sign in to follow this