NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (20th November 2020)

79 on Metacritic, I'll probably skip this as the gameplay doesn't really seem for me. Will watch the cutscenes on YouTube though

I thought I cancelled my preorder for this, intending to ask for it as a Christmas present. Turns out I didn't, and I received an email from ShopTo last night saying they had my order in their warehouse and I couldn't cancel from here! 

It's being delivered to my flat but I'm at my parents place so who knows when I'll actually get it, guess I've got something to look forward to when I go back. 

Won't be able to play it until lockdown ends unfortunately. Which is a shame, because I'm one of the rare people who's getting it for the Hyrule Warriors aspect, not the Age of Calamity bit. So my opinion would probably end up very different to most.

• Thanks 1

Well, my plans to play this game over the weekend went down the toilet. I cancelled my Shopto order as I wasn't confident that they would get it to me on Friday/Saturday and figured I would pick up a copy from Tesco or Argos. Tesco didn't get it in stock, many Argos stores didn't get it in stock until this afternoon and my local Argos didn't get any. At least this freed me up to concentrate on Yakuza. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine did arrive today. According to the tracking, Royal Mail didn't get it until 10pm Wednesday and they sent it with Royal Mail 48. I guess the PS5 launch did slow them down, or it's cause of all the preorder bonuses, which frankly I could have done without.

• Like 1

I've put in about three hours so far and if I'm being completely honest, I think I prefer the original Hyrule Warriors. This hasn't impressed me at all so far. I need to spend more time with it, obviously, but it's definitely in the "disappointing" category so far. A number of things I want to complain about but I'm going to spend more time with it before I do.

The frame rate is still god awful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Okay, I laughed out loud with Zelda's Special Attack. That was unexpected.

I can see how people felt overwhelmed with Impa, she's surprisingly complex for being the second character you unlock. Got the hang of her quick enough though. The bread and butter is to quickly build up those seals with ZR and follow up with X attacks until a seal lights up on the HUD, repeat until you get all three seals, then demolish everything in your way. Using a special attack will use up the seals for a crazy strong attack, meaning you'll have to build the seals up again. There's a subtle sound cue for when the seals are about to run out, so you can maximise it's effectiveness by delaying the Special Attack finisher until the sound cue.

Anyway, unlocked Mipha and Daruk so far. Nice to have a Zora character who doesn't suck for once. (Looking at you, Ruto)

Not gonna give too many thoughts because I'm doing the N-E review.

Edited by Glen-i

I am enjoying this, but like Nicktendo above, I think I preferred Hyrule Warriors.  I do like the BotW touches they've added to it to make it feel more in line with it (e.g. the map, the cooking).

The performance of the Warriors games is always a bit sketchy but this seems to be worse than the others on the Switch.  It very rarely feels fluid.

Edited by V. Amoleo

On 03/12/2020 at 8:28 AM, V. Amoleo said:

The performance of the Warriors games is always a bit sketchy but this seems to be worse than the others on the Switch.  It very rarely feels fluid.

It's not too bad, only certain characters like Impa and Urbosa with their large visual effects seem to make the game struggle.

Go out of your way to test the game's limits though and it gets really bad.

Like, comically bad.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

It's not too bad, only certain characters like Impa and Urbosa with their large visual effects seem to make the game struggle.

Go out of your way to test the game's limits though and it gets really bad.

Like, comically bad.

To be fair though, we were purposely trying to make it as bad as possible there for laughs.

It's not normally THAT bad in multi.

• Thanks 1

Holy crap, she's so ridiculously effective in everything, crowd control, bosses, I can effectively keep up the clones infinitely now and with my dodge cancelling skills I've developed from way too much Hyrule Warriors, she decimates everything.

It's approaching Young Link levels of OP! I love it!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2

Welp, I've just unlocked a secret optional character. I'm on Chapter 4, in case anyone wants to keep it a surprise. Because there's also the name of a character who you get during the main story as well in this pic.

Spoiler

6Rbbh6Z.jpg

I guess Hyrule Warriors with it's single Great Fairy wasn't silly enough.

What with this and Hestu, I'm happy to see that this game doesn't seem to shy away from the more bonkers characters!

• Haha 1

Two and a half hours later (!!), I've just watched all the cutscenes on YouTube... fantastic!

Surprisingly epic and well put together, the whole thing was really cinematic looking. I was never going to get along with the gameplay to actually play it, but I'm glad I could at least appreciate the excellent story this way.

Spoiler

Weird how they did an alternate reality type thing, but I guess it's not the first time in Zelda! It was the only possible way to get a happy ending I guess.

The Zelda timeline gets even crazier :laughing:

Really enjoyed that :bowdown:

I've only just started playing this - any tips? is there any hidden weapons? things not to sell/infuse/trash? 

Just got to the bit where you can access Korok forest, and so far i like a lot of the game and combat.

Characterwise, Daruk is too slow, I still don't like Revali's smug face, Impa and Urabosa are great fun, Link feels a little underwealming so for and i've not even seen a Zelda mission to use her on.

21 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

I've only just started playing this - any tips? is there any hidden weapons? things not to sell/infuse/trash? 

Just got to the bit where you can access Korok forest, and so far i like a lot of the game and combat.

Characterwise, Daruk is too slow, I still don't like Revali's smug face, Impa and Urabosa are great fun, Link feels a little underwealming so for and i've not even seen a Zelda mission to use her on.

Do not neglect training a character up, you'll be forced to use everyone eventually for side missions. Try and keep everyone at a similar level.

I wouldn't worry about weapons too much until the endgame where you have way more freedom over building a weapon for your playstyle. Just use whatever one hits hardest for now.

Strangely enough, Daruk is one of the few characters who I didn't opt to give a speed boost seal. The guy is already crazy good at stunlocking enemies once you unlock his later moves. He also gets invincibility frames when he uses an attack that uses his Power of Protection. That's very useful.

He can even get some easy headshots by pressing X after four Y presses. (You might not have unlocked this move yet)

Zelda missions will start showing up soon, she's one of my favourite characters and she's an absolute beast in the endgame thanks to her crazy powerful rune attacks! I have a build with 4 attack speed seals on her and she just decimates everything.

Fun thing I noticed with her. If you use her Remote Bomb rune, the one that lets her control a walking bomb, all enemies will completely ignore her and she'll be invincible as long as you're controlling it. So you can use it as a panic button if you start to get overwhelmed.

Edited by Glen-i

This one's for @Glen-i

£17.99 on our trusty old UK eShop. 

I still need to go back and check the base game out :p

• Like 1

Please let that weapon for Link be a Master Cycle!

Apart from the massive hint that Purah and Robbie will be playable, that teaser tells us pretty much nothing.

Exciting!

• Like 1

I started playing this about a week ago now and even though I’ve not put a significant amount of time into the game yet (only on chapter 3) I have very much enjoyed what I’ve played so far.

I was originally planning on using my demo data to carry on playing but because it’s taken me so long to pick up the game, I figured it would be best to start again and get a refresher on the story and gameplay mechanics.

Despite my feelings towards BOTW, I did like the art style, characters and setting and so to play a game that has all of those, but adds a decent story and gameplay that is more to my tastes, has been great.

My favourite champion in BOTW was easily Revali and that hasn’t changed here. Dude is an absolute beast at crowd control, not to mention how fast he can deplete the stamina/stun bar that appears on the larger enemies. It’s so satisfying flying around the maps and raining down explosive arrows from above.

All the other characters have been fun to use, with the exception of Daruk. I’ve never been a fan of large, slow moving characters. Sure, he hits like train but I much prefer the more nimble warriors.

Also, it’s been great having a game to use my amiibo on. In recent times it seems like developers have forgotten about them and so it’s good to get some use out of them again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My favourite champion in BOTW was easily Revali and that hasn’t changed here. Dude is an absolute beast at crowd control, not to mention how fast he can deplete the stamina/stun bar that appears on the larger enemies. It’s so satisfying flying around the maps and raining down explosive arrows from above.

All the other characters have been fun to use, with the exception of Daruk. I’ve never been a fan of large, slow moving characters. Sure, he hits like train but I much prefer the more nimble warriors.

Yeah, Daruk is someone who really needs the Attack Speed weapon buff to be effective. But stack those up and he becomes one of the better characters. His later combo finishers give him mad invincibility frames!

EDIT: Oh wait, looking back on my previous posts, Daruk seems to be the one character I didn't put attack speed on? That DLC needs to come out now so I have an excuse to play this before I forget everything!

Continuing our trend of disagreeing on everything. Revali is probably at the bottom of my rankings in this game. I'm not too keen on his moveset.

He's not outright bad though, crowd control is great and he's the best at evading attacks. I don't think there's a single terrible character in this game. (Looking at you, Ruto. You useless pile of garbage!)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

There seems to be a glitch on the eShop that is giving the expansion pass away for free. You don’t need the game to do this and so it’s worth trying it if you are thinking about buying the game at some point.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity-expansion-pass-free-nintendo-eshop-3733964

Not sure if the full pass is gonna remain free but I’ve followed the steps and the new gear/outfit has at least unlocked in my game. 

• Like 1

Damn. Would've jumped on that but I don't have my Switch with me this weekend! 

Hope it works out and you guys get the full expansion pass for free! 

59 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There seems to be a glitch on the eShop that is giving the expansion pass away for free. You don’t need the game to do this and so it’s worth trying it if you are thinking about buying the game at some point.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity-expansion-pass-free-nintendo-eshop-3733964

Not sure if the full pass is gonna remain free but I’ve followed the steps and the new gear/outfit has at least unlocked in my game. 

Nice find. Not often Nintendo makes a gaff like this, is it? I just grabbed the "Purchase Bonus" and it says purchased on the expansion pass. Will report back if I ever get the game!

@Mr-Paul it says on the link this can be claimed via the Get Deal button if you want to try! 

Edited by darksnowman

Sign in to follow this