NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (20th November 2020)

Yep wow. Tried the demo.. And it's completely living up to my expectations. Absolutely fucking terrible.

So now I have to make the very frustrating choice of spending 60 euros and 40 (?) hours to enjoy the story (for as much as this terrible game will allow me), or do the sensible thing and pass it up.

Won't be checking out the demo myself as I'd rather wait for the full release, but still, a bit of a shame to hear about the performance not being so great. Not that it was completely out of the blur after what we saw of it last month, but still, was hoping they might ironed out it a bit ::shrug: 

Anyway, trailer was great. That robed figure is most likely the fortune teller we heard about in BotW, right? Not too surprising if he'd turn out to be twisting things in order to get events to play out in a certain way if that's the case. 

On 20/10/2020 at 7:13 AM, Glen-i said:

That was the case with BotW anyway, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

Thought I'd responded, but apparently not!

I wasn't very clear before, but what I meant to say was that seeing voices for characters introduced in BotW who weren't voiced in that game was surprising (in a good way!), and when taking about the sequel I meant that having voices cast is probably too that game's benefit, as we might also end up seeing more voice acting in that game (if this is anything to go by). 

Tried the demo yesterday - it was longer than I anticipated. It ran smoothly enough with only a single really noticeable framedrop but nothing serious.

I like the setting and the story, it was nice to be back in Hyrule again. I didn't enjoy the gameplay that much, but they had done a great job with implementing features from BotW, even though I didn't really find the controls that intuitive and having all those attacks available on different combinations of button presses led to several mistakes from my end. 

I doubt I'll get the game, though, unless I find it for cheap somewhere. I still think it's too much button mashing to be really enjoyable in the long run (played on Normal and yes, there seems to be some strategy that could be utilized on Hard). Might just read the story or watch the cutscenes on Youtube at some point.

So, I downloaded the demo and played through it. Loved it. 

I know most people are taking issues with the framerate but in all honesty it hasn't really bothered me. Now, i'm not saying that the issue isn't there. I mean, reports of it are so widespread that it clearly is a problem, but more that I haven't really noticed it. I think it's a case of ignorance is bliss.

Story wise, I am wondering if they are going to pull a FFVII Remake with this game. 

Spoiler

With that game they are essentially resetting the timeline in a way that allows them to do whatever they want for it's next chapter. This game seems like it could be heading down a similar path. The little guardian is showing them what is to come and they now have the opportunity to stop the disaster ahead, which in turn would change the timeline.

It would interesting if this did happen and BOTW2 is actually set after the events of this game when the timeline has been altered. I'm probably overthinking it but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

In terms of the gameplay, yup, it's a musou game but I have really loved what I have played so far. It took me a while to get used to playing as Impa but once I figured out how to use her shadow clones she was very fun to use. Shadow clones, ninjustu hand signs and fast movement all make it feel like i'm playing as Naruto. I wonder if she also uses a sexy jutsu? :p 

I've managed to complete all of the side quests that the demo had to offer, although one of them took me a while to complete. I needed a couple of flowers/fauna and I just couldn't get them to drop. Eventually I found a decent spot in the first stage that seemed to spawn them on a regular basis when cutting the grass and flowers. Doing a couple more runs of the first stage nabbed me what I needed.

I also spent a good chunk of time looking for the Korok seeds. I had no idea how many there were to find ( I checked yesterday and seen that there are 13 in the demo ) but I did manage to find 12 of them on my own.I wonder if they will be used as currency in the main game? It would be a nice incentive to look for them if you could buy certain weapons, moves or even extra characters with them.

One thing I haven't messed about with yet is the weapon fusion system. I had a load of weapons at my disposal but i'm too scared to fuse any of them in case I cock something up and waste them. I'll have to have a look around the internet to see if anywhere has things explained more clearly before the final game arrives.

Yeah, really looking forward to the game now which is weird because I wasn't that fussed about it until I played the demo. I still plan on playing it a little more as well. I wouldn't mind finding that other Korok seed and the level cap for the 3 characters you can use is level 20, which I would like to hit. I've got one of them there so there's just the other two to go now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

The Hero of Time is back to save the land of Hyrule and we couldn't be happier! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The Hero of Time is back to save the land of Hyrule and we couldn't be happier! :D 

But Ocarina of Time was in the last Hyrule Warriors.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

One thing I haven't messed about with yet is the weapon fusion system. I had a load of weapons at my disposal but i'm too scared to fuse any of them in case I cock something up and waste them. I'll have to have a look around the internet to see if anywhere has things explained more clearly before the final game arrives.ere so there's just the other two to go now.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, specially early game. It's more of a way to pass skills/bonuses on to stronger weapons. Although it does increase weapon strength so it's still worth it.

I honestly didn't notice any framerate drops either (playing docked), but I'm not very sensitive to it either (unless it drops to single digit numbers or something).

• Thanks 1

Finally got around to trying the demo (only the first mission, just wanted to get a grip of the gameplay) and... I liked it. The button-mashing is fun, and so's dodging (they had me at "Press B to Wall Jump"). If higher difficulties are available, I can see this being the whole package. The first Hyrule Warriors went up on my list of priorities.

Just one question to all of you who played Musou/Warrior games before: is there a training mode of sorts, or some other place to try out the characters? Thanks to the tutorial, I figured out how to play Link just fine, but Impa's symbols, seals, and shadow jutsus kind of overwhelmed me, and I'll probably want to learn that moveset at my own pace.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Just one question to all of you who played Musou/Warrior games before: is there a training mode of sorts, or some other place to try out the characters? Thanks to the tutorial, I figured out how to play Link just fine, but Impa's symbols, seals, and shadow jutsus kind of overwhelmed me, and I'll probably want to learn that moveset at my own pace.

Not really. Best you got in the first game was a screen showing what buttons to press for each combo and a short description of the gimmick the character/weapon has. Most of the characters in the first game were pretty straightforward, but some (Agitha, Link with the Spinner and Ghirahim, for example) can be hard to figure out how to use effectively.

I only figured out to fully utilise Ghirahim when the Switch version came out.

Anyway, I've not touched the demo yet (I was sold on the announcement), so I can't really give tips on how to use AoC's Impa.

• Like 1

I bought the first one but never really got into it. Think I got overwhelmed and a bit lost too quick. 
Ive played a bit of the demo and I want to like it. I think having a story linked to BotW is making me more interested but I’m still not 100% sold on it yet. I’ve done the first two missions and they were fun to play around with. As @Jonnas mentioned, Impa seems a bit complicated at first. Also there seems to be a lot of extra button combos such as eating to replenish health, then using stasis/magnesis and such. I hope that doesn’t get too much. 
How long/how many stages does this demo have?

On 28/10/2020 at 10:13 PM, Sméagol said:

Yep wow. Tried the demo.. And it's completely living up to my expectations. Absolutely fucking terrible.

So now I have to make the very frustrating choice of spending 60 euros and 40 (?) hours to enjoy the story (for as much as this terrible game will allow me), or do the sensible thing and pass it up.

If you're expecting anything beyond 1-2 hours of actual story, you be crazy.

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

How long/how many stages does this demo have?

Just the two but there are a few side missions to play as well.

As for using Impa, I think it's the X button you press and that captures an element. This allows you to use the clones. The more you have ( think it's 3-4 elements you can hold ) the more powerful/flashy your moves.

• Thanks 1

On 28/10/2020 at 10:13 PM, Sméagol said:

You already know the right answer, @Sméagol

Stay strong!

On 05/11/2020 at 4:13 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

If you're expecting anything beyond 1-2 hours of actual story, you be crazy.

This is just a hunch, but I suspect finishing the main campaign takes a bit longer than that.

On 05/11/2020 at 11:10 PM, nekunando said:

You already know the right answer, @Sméagol

Stay strong!

I do. I'm skipping this one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sméagol said:

This is just a hunch, but I suspect finishing the main campaign takes a bit longer than that.

Most possibly, but I suspect the actual story content will be much shorter.

I downloaded the demo for this. Never played a game in the series before but I loved the demo. 

I didn't feel like I was playing a button masher. I mean, I could have gone through the game just mashing Y, but it wouldn't be very fun. There seems to be a lot of versatility in the moves you can use like the ice and magnet etc.

I didn't like playing as Impa at all, but as Link I really enjoyed it. Definitely going to ask for it as an Xmas gift off family I think.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Launch trailer:

Looks like reviews have started going up too! 

Don't think I'll be getting to this for a few weeks, but hope everyone who checks out enjoys it! Really looking forward to reading through some impressions :smile:

54 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

From 6/10 to 9/10:

Oh man, normally I'm a big fan of Suriel (former Game Informer guy, now MinnMax guy) but, his actual 6/10 review score aside (whatever, it's subjective, that's fine), one minute into this review it already seems like a rocky start. I don't know if it's on him or his editor, but opening up immediately with a description of the power fantasy of controlling the Divine Beasts is such an odd starting place for this review.

Aaaaaaand I can already see him being swamped in the comments... :blank:

Apart from Zelda's voice ( really wish they had changed the actress or voice direction ) the launch trailer was pretty good.

I was hoping to get the game a day early but I've heard nothing form Shopto. Guess it will be a Friday release. :( 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was hoping to get the game a day early but I've heard nothing form Shopto. Guess it will be a Friday release. :( 

I've had a "your order is in the warehouse" email, but not been charged yet.

My last few orders from Shopto have always arrived on Friday rather than the usual day early.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apart from Zelda's voice ( really wish they had changed the actress or voice direction ) the launch trailer was pretty good.

:(

Also had the same email as @Ike yesterday from them about it arriving at the warehouse; from what I've read elsewhere, seems like Royal Mail and everyone else has been absolutely battered this last week or so, and probably will be into the weekend too.

Noticed my delivery type has been changed from the usual free 24h Royal Mail to 2 - 4 day shipping, so have no idea when that's going to turn up. ::shrug:

• Sad 1

Sign in to follow this