NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (20th November 2020)

9 minutes ago, Ike said:

Reminder for the TGS showing.

Watching this now, seems like a bit of oversight on Nintendo's and KT's side to not have a translator on for this, especially with it being advertised by NoA. Even SEGA's terrible opening show yesterday had a translator - heck, they even translated a Japanese 60th anniversary ad live! - and most of the big TGS shows have so far. Weird decision. 

For this reason, if anyone who wants to watch it live, I'd recommend checking out the GameXplain stream:

Gameplay being shown and looks great though! Just seen Young Impa and little egg guy :grin:

EDIT: Young Impa's playable! Not much of a surprise but still cool to see! 

Edited by Julius

Story trailer from TGS (in English):

Looks awesome! 

Daruk and Mipha sound a bit different to me, but not sure if that's new direction or actually different voice actors. Also reveals at the end that the wooden Training Shield and Sword will be exclusive to those who have Switch Breath of the Wild save data. Makes me wonder if they might have some ideas for save data transfer for Breath of the Wild 2...

Here's the gameplay we got to see:

Apart from the pop-in, which is super noticeable, I think it looks great. Impa as a straight up ninja :laughing:

They said that there will be another stream showing a new character at 17:00 JST tomorrow, so 09:00 BST. 

And some new key art for the Champions and Impa has just gone up on the Japanese site, too:

001.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Apart from the pop-in, which is super noticeable, I think it looks great. Impa as a straight up ninja :laughing:

Seems appropriate, Impa was a straight up Samurai in the first Hyrule Warriors.

But yep, that sure looks like Hyrule Warriors. Digging Impa's shadow clone mechanic. Very cool. Also nice to see that the tone shift isn't stopping Koei Tecmo from doing silly attacks like Link's shield surfing.

Edited by Glen-i

content-4-36346-hyrulewarriorsageofcalamitytgs2020banner.jpg

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Champions Unite! Trailer

Up on the main page.

That... was a really great trailer, I may well pre-order this nearer the time.

• Thanks 1

Turns out there was a bit of a mistranslation yesterday: no new characters, but rather new gameplay focused on a character we hadn't seen much gameplay from before. 

A lot of Daruk and Impa gameplay, Impa's shadow super looks great, love how slow Daruk is, oh and we got to see the laser parry. Good showing!

I was watching this live and they had J-Mon and HighGai providing live translation, which I've got to mention because it was a jolly stream, and much better than yesterday's show without any type of live translation! 

Edited by Julius

The posing a certain character is doing there is giving me mad Lana vibes.

On 26/09/2020 at 2:35 PM, Julius said:

And some new key art for the Champions and Impa has just gone up on the Japanese site, too:

001.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

Love that artwork.

This game looks fantastic... I just personally wish it wasn't a musou :hmm:

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Love that artwork.

This game looks fantastic... I just personally wish it wasn't a musou :hmm:

See, I can't help but think it's the perfect genre for a war scenario. You can't really do the fighting against thousands of enemies justice in a traditional Zelda style, because you'd get battered. Here, it's perfect.

Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about Musou games?

Edited by Glen-i

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

See, I can't help but think it's the perfect genre for a war scenario. You can't really do the fighting against thousands of enemies justice in a traditional Zelda style, because you'd get battered. Here, it's perfect.

Oh I totally agree it's probably a good fit for the storyline, it's just not really for me. Can't really put my finger on what it is I'm not keen about these kind of games, the gameplay of Warriors on Wii U just felt a bit mindless to me. I think I made it to the second area (fire I think?) and then got bored, never touched it again

• Thanks 1

Well I can reply to that too. Musou games by design are just incredibly flawed. Tons of enemies standing around doing almost nothing, and the need to clear out bases in a formulaic fashion.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Oh I totally agree it's probably a good fit for the storyline, it's just not really for me. Can't really put my finger on what it is I'm not keen about these kind of games, the gameplay of Warriors on Wii U just felt a bit mindless to me. I think I made it to the second area (fire I think?) and then got bored, never touched it again

53 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Well I can reply to that too. Musou games by design are just incredibly flawed. Tons of enemies standing around doing almost nothing, and the need to clear out bases in a formulaic fashion.

See, that applies to a normal playthrough. Whack the difficulty up (or go to the late game adventure maps, which takes longer, obviously) and the game quickly changes from button mashing through everything to battlefield management.

Choosing where you button mash is far more integral to success than how good you are at button mashing. Late game will have you having to make quick decisions about where your overpowered character of death needs to be, because they can't be everywhere and your army is even more hopeless than the one you're fighting.

Co-op is a riot as well, telling each other where you're going and what needs to be done, only for the circumstances to suddenly change and someone having to bolt it halfway across the map is a great laugh!

The early game of Hyrule Warriors (and Fire Emblem) is a bit mindless and leaves a bad first impression, but really dig deep into the tougher challenges and it's a lot more fun and strategic. I'm glad I stuck with the WiiU version, because it became one of my favourite games on that system.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 4

Another shorter trailer:

More voice acting, seems like everyone but Link and minor characters is getting voiced in this. Wonder if that's a sign of what's to come with the BotW sequel? 

15 hours ago, Julius said:

Another shorter trailer:

More voice acting, seems like everyone but Link and minor characters is getting voiced in this. Wonder if that's a sign of what's to come with the BotW sequel? 

That was the case with BotW anyway, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

The eShop is lying to me. It says a demo is available now, BUT THERE IS NONE.

Shouldn't be too long a wait, though. :p

Demo available today, save carries over to full game. 

Edited by Julius

Glad they've put out a demo, I'm intrigued by a BotW prequel but unsure if I want a Dynasty Warriors-type experience filling up my time right now (have been looking for a podcast game though). 

The frame rate in this game is really not too hot. I hope they tweak it before launch or at least add a performance mode. 20-25fps. Noticeably bad 😬

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

hot damn!

tenor.gif

11 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

The frame rate in this game is really not too hot.

Indeed.

Aside from this issue, the game seems fun.

Made me put Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below's disk in my PS4 and play it again :D

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

The frame rate in this game is really not too hot. I hope they tweak it before launch or at least add a performance mode. 20-25fps. Noticeably bad 😬

Yeah, I had a quick go on the demo and the frame rate was seriously distracting. It doesn’t help that I’ve been doing a lot of PC gaming recently, which has definitely lowered my tolerance to frame rate issues/bad performance. :hmm: 

Everything else seems pretty great though, well... other than Princess Zelda’s voice. :heh: It got on my nerves in BotW, and it still does.

Sign in to follow this