NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (20th November 2020)

H2x1_NSwitch_HyruleWarriorsAgeOfCalamity

So this came out of nowhere!

Introducing Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, coming November 20th.

Witness the events of the Great Calamity first-hand and try to save Hyrule from destruction!

A story set 100 years before The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild…

Travel into Hyrule’s past and fight to prevent the kingdom’s destruction in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for Nintendo Switch!

Unfolding a century before the events of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the fate of Hyrule hangs in the balance. Lead your forces onto the battlefield, then battle against the might of Calamity Ganon in the ultimate struggle for survival.

A story set 100 years before The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild…

Travel into Hyrule’s past and fight to prevent the kingdom’s destruction in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for Nintendo Switch!

Unfolding a century before the events of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the fate of Hyrule hangs in the balance. Lead your forces onto the battlefield, then battle against the might of Calamity Ganon in the ultimate struggle for survival.

NSwitch_HyruleWarriorsAgeOfCalamity_01.j

NSwitch_HyruleWarriorsAgeOfCalamity_02.j

A fight for the ages!

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity combines action-packed gameplay with the rich landscapes of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to create a new and exciting experience:

• A familiar world…: See the land of Hyrule from a different perspective, before Calamity Ganon struck.
  • …with familiar faces: Take control of Link, Zelda and the other Champions of Hyrule as they stand against an evil bent on total destruction!
  • Fast-paced combat: Use powerful weapons and magical runes to vanquish armies of enemies, as well as facing off against truly formidable monsters.
  • In-depth storytelling: Experience a unique story on the battlefield and through voiced cutscenes as you try to avert the Great Calamity and save Hyrule!

NSwitch_HyruleWarriorsAgeOfCalamity_03.j

NSwitch_HyruleWarriorsAgeOfCalamity_04.j

NSwitch_HyruleWarriorsAgeOfCalamity_05.j

NSwitch_HyruleWarriorsAgeOfCalamity_06.j

Stand together

Bring a friend into battle with you on one Nintendo Switch and take on Calamity Ganon as a team. Fight side-by-side or divide your efforts to cover more ground, complete objectives or defeat the forces of darkness!

Priced at £49.99, here's the pre-order link for the game on the Nintendo UK Store. Next update coming on 29th September. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

This... looks pretty interesting! Story-driven, based on the BOTW engine and I think a lot closer to a real Zelda title than any other spin-off. I guess it'll miss the quirkiness from Hyrule Warriors but I'm excited. Probably means that BOTW2 isn't happening soon though.

Always wanted to give Hyrule Warriors a go.

This seems a little more interesting than the WiiU/Switch port, given that it'll tell a story that complements the non-existent one of Breath of the Wild. Problem is: We know how the story will end...

Edit: How much time do I have to buy a copy? :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Always wanted to give Hyrule Warriors a go.

This seems a little more interesting than the WiiU/Switch port, given that it'll tell a story that complements the non-existent one of Breath of the Wild.

Edit: How much time do I have to buy a copy? :p

If you hurry you can get a Lucky Ladle.

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Wait what? That's not what I was expecting Breath of the Wild 2 to be!

It's not BoTW2.

• Haha 1

People who think BOTW doesn't have a story :laughing: 

Anyway, what a brilliant surprise! I continue to love Nintendo's short reveal > release windows.

Looks great, will definitely pick this up.

(Also, I think Aonuma is ageing backwards)

I hope there's a final mission where you control Ganon (or some high ranking general) and kill Link.

Didn’t expect this!

Might even have to give it a go... a Musou game making me interested,  never would’ve thought!

Really liked what we saw of the Champions in BOTW + the DLC, be good to see them fleshed out a bit more

For fuck's sake. I do not want this.

Edited by Sméagol

So this probably means that I was right; and that BOTW 2 has been pushed back to be a launch title for Switch 2.

Calling it now.  This game will be the only exclusive Zelda game to ever release on Switch.

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

So this probably means that I was right; and that BOTW 2 has been pushed back to be a launch title for Switch 2.

Switch 2 is many years away. They're going to 3DS the current Switch and make it last for ages.

Edited by Ronnie

An interesting announcement. Given how Hyrule Warriors performed on the Switch, I guess it was a given they'd do a pseudo-sequel to that. Cool they're tying it to BOTW, even if I wasn't a fan of that game expanding on that world in the lead up to its sequel does make sense.

Production values look good but I will say that footage in the trailer for the game did look ropey at times. The resolution definitely drops quite heavily during gameplay to the point I wondered if they captured the footage in handheld/on a Switch Lite.

Still, another surprise announcement from Nintendo and will surely make many happy. Just a weird way they've gone about announcing their releases this year, but I suppose it spreads it out to give other games a chance to shine on the console (though I'd say this hasn't bean a good year for third party titles on the Switch outside of indies but that's a different subject).

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Switch 2 is many years away. They're going to 3DS the current Switch and make it last for ages.

BOTW2 is an asset reuse sequel (Like Majora's Mask & Spirit Tracks).  If they wanted it out by now, it would've been out by now.  There's absolutely no reason why it should be taking this long to make; they're not building it from scratch this time.

They're clearly saving it for when Switch 2/Pro/Whatever launches.

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

BOTW2 is an asset reuse sequel (Like Majora's Mask & Spirit Tracks).  If they wanted it out by now, it would've been out by now.

Majora's Mask and Spirit Tracks weren't referred to as one of the best games ever made or win tons of Game of the Year awards like BOTW was/did. They can't just half-arse the sequel (not saying MM or ST were half arsed), and re-use the same assets in a new storyline. They'll want to live up to the high bar BOTW set.

Releasing with an iterative Pro update sometime in the next year or so, sure I can see that, but if you mean Switch 2 as a brand new console, I think that's 3-4 years away, at least.

• Like 1

content-4-36334-hyrulewarriorsageofcalamitybanner.jpg

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced for Nintendo Switch

Up on the main page.

Full press release and announcement video.

So, that's the Switch game for November then. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Edit: How much time do I have to buy a copy?

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

Nintendo and Koei Tecmo have figured out the only way to get me interested in playing a Warriors game. It's a great idea, the only issue I really have is that there won't be any stakes to the narrative given that we know how it all ends but I'm definitely intrigued. I wonder how much they'll flesh out the champions and Zelda's backstory, given they're working quite closely with the BOTW dev team.

Edited by killthenet
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, WHAT!? BotW prequel more exciting than BotW Sequel!

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

So...  @Glen-i It's official! Hyrule Warriors is now canon! :D 

I always knew it was. The first game is the only way to make BotW make sense in the timeline!

I did feel it was a missed trick that the Switch version of the first game didn't use the Sheikah Slate or the Champions for some new movesets and now I know why!

Definitely looking forward to this! Hoping to see some really bonkers weapons from this. (And get some Oracles or Minish Cap characters in there, go on. You know it makes sense)

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Definitely looking forward to this! Hoping to see some really bonkers weapons from this. (And get some Oracles or Minish Cap characters in there, go on. You know it makes sense)

With this being more story focused and tied with an existing game, I have doubts they’ll be adding many, if any, outlandish characters.

Saying that, I hope there are more than 6 characters. I’m sure there will be some original characters (do not steal).

Just now, Ike said:

With this being more story focused and tied with an existing game, I have doubts they’ll be adding many, if any, outlandish characters.

Saying that, I hope there are more than 6 characters. I’m sure there will be some original characters (do not steal).

Not the characters, sure. (Although I'm sure there'll be a few unexpected additions there. That little scientist girl could bring some mech style fighting for starters.) BotW totally has some silliness to it that could make for some fun weapons.

@Dcubed just suggested to me that the Master Cycle is fair game for this. A motorcycle as a weapon is bound to be hilarious.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

BOTW2 is an asset reuse sequel (Like Majora's Mask & Spirit Tracks).  If they wanted it out by now, it would've been out by now.  There's absolutely no reason why it should be taking this long to make; they're not building it from scratch this time.

BoTW2 was only announced a year ago so they either knew then or shortly after that it was going to take a while to develop. They must have known they had enough time to make another entire game (albeit with reused engine/assets). Especially since it's only been a year since Fire Emblem: Three Houses came out (I have no idea how big techno's development team(s) are).

Sign in to follow this