NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (12 Feb 2021)

Just now, Vileplume2000 said:

If you want torture like that you can always ask @Sméagol to hammer up some levels in Mario Maker 2. :D

Oh, I've played a myriad of difficult levels in Super Mario Maker 2. It's kinda funny how I enjoy those hard level created by users more than most levels by Nintendo :D 

Bloody hell. I didn't realise how many levels and world's this game had! I got to the Bowser world and finished that, thinking that was it. 

Then the Star world and I unlocked Rosalina (she's no Peach) and then two more after that! 

I mean, I'm loving it so I'm quite pleased it's continuing! I like the subtle ramp up in difficulty too although it isn't really massively more challenging. Yet. 

I have tried to pick up all of the stars and stamps as I've gone but there's a few I need to mop up. 

I didn't think I'd get this much play time from it and that's without Bowser's Fury yet! 

• Like 3

Finished Bowser's Fury today. Fun look at what an open world (kinda) Mario would be like, though I actually hope they don't go down that route for future Mario games. Bowser constantly attacking got annoying, it was fine early on when he got bored quickly, but later on when you're trying to do some platforming and he's shooting his lasers at you got old real fast. The final battle reminded me of Sonic Adventure's perfect Chaos battle. Should have stuck Open Your Heart on. :laughing:

Overall a fun little game, but not worth price of admission if you didn't want to play 3D World again.

• Thanks 2

On 24/02/2021 at 11:44 PM, Ronnie said:

Just 100%'d Bowser's Fury, great fun! Really enjoyed that, much more than I thought I would. It genuinely felt like a full fledged (if much shorter) Mario game. Really interesting to see them shake things up again and experiment like this, the formula definitely works for a future game.

I did think it was a bit weird that you could nab a cat shine, make the lighthouse glow, turn your back to it, then spin the camera around again and it would have gone back to being corrupted and new course elements would have magically appeared in that split second. That took a while to wrap my head around, so that would definitely need some work.

But overall, had a great time. :heart:

I'm a bit late to the party but will be picking this up in the next week or two - I really want to try Bowsers Fury first so I wanna know, is it like a standalone game with it's own intro and credits or is it intended as a post 3D World world, because if it is I'll make myself be patient and play it last instead lol. I'm just eager to play as I recently finished Sunshine and would like some new open world Mario to explore!

24 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

I'm a bit late to the party but will be picking this up in the next week or two - I really want to try Bowsers Fury first so I wanna know, is it like a standalone game with it's own intro and credits or is it intended as a post 3D World world, because if it is I'll make myself be patient and play it last instead lol. I'm just eager to play as I recently finished Sunshine and would like some new open world Mario to explore!

Totally standalone game with its own intro and credits. Based on 3D World moveset/powerups but with a free-roaming camera.

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2021 at 11:44 PM, Ronnie said:

Just 100%'d Bowser's Fury, great fun! Really enjoyed that, much more than I thought I would. It genuinely felt like a full fledged (if much shorter) Mario game. Really interesting to see them shake things up again and experiment like this, the formula definitely works for a future game.

I did think it was a bit weird that you could nab a cat shine, make the lighthouse glow, turn your back to it, then spin the camera around again and it would have gone back to being corrupted and new course elements would have magically appeared in that split second. That took a while to wrap my head around, so that would definitely need some work.

But overall, had a great time. :heart:

I 100%'d it yesterday too, I really enjoyed it and got used to its quirks about 20 cat shines in but there were a lot of confusing elements at first, this being one of them. I thought I'd 100% done an area then some other task would appear - When I just accepted that the game chooses the pace then I was fine with it. 

I also didn't really 'get' the Bowser fights, do you get a cat shine from him initially? I can't remember. I was fine fighting him the first and second time but then he just kept coming so I ended up ignoring him. I did really enjoy the final battle though and the ending was hilarious. 

The exploration was fun and I love finding secret islands and just exploring with Dorrie. I also appreciated the quick travel feature of the map after completing the game with 50 cat shines, it made the new tasks on previous islands much more palatable as I didn't have to scurry backwards and forwards all the while. The lack of load times is my favourite aspect of it being a full world, it gave great Banjo vibes, it's just a shame that with the 3D World aesthetic it didn't feel like a 'world' as such but more of a big pool with obstactle courses. It was still interesting as an experiment though and if they were able to pull off an open world Mario with actual islands more akin to Sunshine then I'd be over the moon (or cat shine). 

The only tasks that did piss me off were the 'destroy the fury blocks' - Just felt pointless and annoying!

• Like 1

As for 3D world I have only got to world 3, I have been collecting everything on the way but all the levels feel far too easy and simple at the moment so I'm struggling to motivate myself to play, though I do remember feeling the same on Wii U, I know I'll enjoy it eventually but this pedestrian start feels like a slog!

20 hours ago, Josh64 said:

The only tasks that did piss me off were the 'destroy the fury blocks' - Just felt pointless and annoying!

If you have a Bowser amiibo, you can effectively summon Bowser with it. Made those a lot more bearable for me.

Bowser's Fury was about 7% fun 3D World style gameplay, 93% boring open-world exploratory guff. Not a fan of it. Felt more like an expansion to Odyssey than 3D World.

Oh damn! I still have a Bowser amiibo from the Mario Party 10 review I did back in the day - at least I know now for if I ever decide to replay it in the future :laughing:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Bowser's Fury was about 7% fun 3D World style gameplay, 93% boring open-world exploratory guff. Not a fan of it. Felt more like an expansion to Odyssey than 3D World.

That doesn't seem to be too far away from the truth, unfortunately :hmm:

Bowser's Fury is certainly not a bad extra on top of 3D World but it does kinda feel like it's just some of the good Mario platforming spread out across a considerable space because open world exploration is what is the flavour of the moment right now.. and it's a taste I could largely do without :heh:

Bowser's Fury never really goes beyond good, though. What's there is fine but when 3D Mario games have generally been top of their class each generation, anything stepping down from that level can it really be a disappointment!

I’m back on this game now after finishing up my play through of FE:POR...

Just currently cleaning up the Green Stars I’ve missed before tackling the post-credits levels... and then just I pulled this sick stunt off!

Genuinely shocked that actually worked!! Absolutely no way could you ever pull that off in the original Wii U version!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I hate so much about what this game chooses to be - the (mostly) fixed camera can make platforming hard to judge in some places and also just makes the look of the game a seem a bit stiff. I'm also not a fan of the overall look, I know the way that things are cube shaped and block-like is an intentional art style but it just makes it feel a bit thrown together like a user generated 3D Mario Maker, I wish it had a few more things to make it feel like an actual place akin to Odyssey or Galaxy.

The map screens feel particularly dull and so empty which I initially couldn't put my finger on because it's something I hadn't noticed on the Wii U version and then it hit me - Miiverse! It was used to varying degrees of success but I believe 3D World was one of the highlights, the map screen was full of Mii's chirping about World specific things and I loved that, there's so much empty space without them. Speaking of Miiverse, the end score screen also feels depressingly empty and hangs for too long which is also where level specific Miiverse posts used to be, I always thought it was great seeing people cursing a particular hard jump or green star. So yeah, a lot of the charm from the WiiU game came from its fantastic implementation of Miiverse and Nintendo did nothing to fill the hole that's left over. 

I very recently played through Mario 3D All-Stars and Odyssey is relatively fresh in my mind so the biggest takeaway for me from this so far is how safe it is, this is by far the least ambitious and low-key main Mario title besides the New Super Mario Bros. games, heck even compared to its modern day twin Bowser's Fury this seems so entrenched in old traditions such as the timer and mind numbingly dull battles with the Koopa Kids. The inclusion of the Koopa kids is a bit bizarre and I think it shows that the developers were torn on whether they should stay traditional or branch out, as most of their battles are simple affairs of jumping on their heads in those small square shaped rooms while the new boss fights are the complete opposite and really great such as Hisstocrat and Motley Bossblob - even if they are also super easy I loved the music and character designs! It made me wonder why they bothered with the boring Koopa Kid fights at all. 

And everything is so short, it's not too noticeable as I try to get all green stars and stamps on my first run, but if I miss a third star or something and go back to the level and race through it often takes around 30 seconds, so without the collectibles the actual platforming is limited, though I guess this is made up for with the sheer number of levels.

I think had I played this in multiplayer I'd be having a lot more fun, I know that was the case on WiiU, but things are different for me now compared to 2013, I would meet up with a bunch of friends at least once a week and we'd all have local multiplayer games together which isn't the case now even before COVID, so it could be that this just isn't my kind of game anymore which is fine as even as a huge Mario fan I'm not going to be into every single title. 

Despite all of this, the title still has its moments and is ultimately fun, I just think for me it's not worth a replay, I'm up to World 6 now and think I will probably leave it at that. 

Edited by Josh64

When I last played this, I had just unlocked the extra worlds but got a bit tired of the game and left it. Sunday I picked it up again to complete it and now I just need the final two levels - the mystery house and the grand finale. Currently completed 1/3 of the mystery house. I'm scared of the finale even though I completed it on Wii U.

5 hours ago, MindFreak said:

When I last played this, I had just unlocked the extra worlds but got a bit tired of the game and left it. Sunday I picked it up again to complete it and now I just need the final two levels - the mystery house and the grand finale. Currently completed 1/3 of the mystery house. I'm scared of the finale even though I completed it on Wii U.

The extra speed means that the slower characters (Peach and Rosalina) are probably the best choices thanks to their excellent correction based jumps.

That speed proves to be a real hindrance for the Mario Bros and Toad, it gets really hard to maintain control in that course.

Yeah, I think you are right. But I want to complete the game as Mario. So I'll take whatever death count I end up with. I've already seen the assist box on some levels where I just messed up bad some times (though I of course don't use it) so my pride is gone already. 

And done! Took quite a few tries the other day and only one try today before I completed it. I had a tanooki suit before entering the level but I kept it until the very last part where I knew I was done and just rushed to the warp thing. It's not the worst final level of a Mario game, and I think I thought that as well when I completed it the first time in 2013.

I forgot to post this here, so hopefully you already found it on the main site. If not:

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 

content-2-36479-supermario3dworldbowsersfurysidebox.jpg

N-Europe Review  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2