NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (12 Feb 2021)

13 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Six posts in one hour, @Ronnie must be pretty excited for this game. :grin: 

:bouncy::blush::blush: It's in my top 5 games ever tbf

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

So Cat Mario is basically Assist Mode behind an amiibo paywall? Yikes.

Assist mode is available in the core game whenever you die a number of times.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

cat-biddybud-l-2x.png

Those cat things look GORGEOUS! Like 90's CG in a good way, love it. Also the pre-order plushes look nice but god knows I don't need any more so I'll be going for that gorgeous looking steelbook

• Like 1

Koopa Troopa with fur looks so incredibly wrong.

And that's all I'm contributing to this thread.

18 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Not bought amiibo in a while but I might be tempted! Cue certain people calling this inexcusable 'pay to win'.

Why aren't they actually furry!? They should be made with felt!

Talk about a missed opportunity!

I see Shopto are also giving away the steelbook with preorders. I thought it may have been a Nintendo store exclusive. For those wanting the game and the steelbook, it's £43 on Shopto whereas it's £50 on the Nintendo store.

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 2:26 PM, Ronnie said:

Why is Cat Peach taking a dump?

• Haha 2

I wish Nintendo would make a reasonably priced, stand-alone version of Bowser’s Fury, even if had to be exclusive to eShop.
But again, they’re just not thinking of those that were onboard with the Wii U. ::shrug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedShell said:

I wish Nintendo would make a reasonably priced, stand-alone version of Bowser’s Fury, even if had to be exclusive to eShop.
But again, they’re just not thinking of those that were onboard with the Wii U. ::shrug:

Perhaps something linked to Nintendo Switch Online?

Pay £5 - £10 and get access to Bowser's Fury as a standalone download, for the lifetime of your online subscription.

If Nintendo do decide to go the route of having gold and platinum subscriptions (as I believe @Nicktendo suggested) then something like this would be an ideal offering.

As it stands, I won't be buying Super Mario 3D World again, because as good as the extra content is, it's not worth paying £40 - £50 for, to me. :peace:

• Like 2

Why is Cat Peach taking a dump?
Staking out her territory, obviously.

The UK Nintendo site has sone more info about Bowsers Fury, which Gonintendo has summarised:

- Bowser has been tainted by a mysterious black goop, which turns him into Fury Bowser.

- The shell that we see Bowser trapped in is called the Fury Sun.

- The Fury Sun will always rise up near the island you're on.

- Weather will change, which indicates how much time you have until the Fury Sun emerges.

- If you’ve collected five Cat Shines on an island, you can activate the Giga Bell.

- This is what transforms Mario into Giga Cat Mario.

- Defeat Fury Bowser and he'll be sent flying back into the water, which unlocks new islands for you to explore.

This is one of the few Wii U ports I’d buy again on switch as this is my favourite 3D Mario game. I’m still on the fence about buying it again though, as Nintendo’s twitter account seemed to suggest that the new content is short.
However they have added online multiplayer so it might still be worth it for me.

Regardless, I’m glad more people will get to play it on Switch, it’s a fantastic game.

Edited by Helmsly

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

this is my favourite 3D Mario game.

Good man!

Yeah I think they described Bowser’s Fury as “short but action packed”. I’m expecting a couple hours worth. 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Review embargo is February 10th 15:00 CET

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

Some TV adverts have been posted on YouTube:

Mom: "Mario and I have some history". Ooookay, TMI mom!

• Haha 7

So apparently Bowser’s Fury runs at 60FPS in Docked mode (at 720p) but only 30FPS in handheld mode (don’t know what resolution).

Wow! Nintendo EPD really don’t give a shit about their Switch games anymore do they?

Thankfully SM3DW itself is 1080p/720p 60FPS; just like Captain Toad (which was also ported by the same team at NST).

But still, wow.  That’s really bad.  This is the first ever internally developed Nintendo title to have such a discrepancy in performance between Handheld & Docked mode.  Not the quality you expect from an internally developed 1st party Nintendo EPD title at all... Really does feel like they’ve given up on making titles for the current Switch and are currently putting all hands on deck for the upcoming Switch 2...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hyperbole is even more off the scale than usual. 

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Wow! Nintendo EPD really don’t give a shit about their Switch games anymore do they?

Because a giant openworld sandbox far larger than anything in Odyssey runs at 30fps in handheld mode and 60 docked? The game is a clear step up visually from 3D World, of course there would be some technical compromises.

• Like 1

Having played it, I can say that I didn't notice it. I found some frame drops when going through the sky parts in the main game, when you get a star and need to go through enemies. Other than that, it runs smoothly. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Because a giant openworld sandbox far larger than anything in Odyssey runs at 30fps in handheld mode and 60 docked? The game is a clear step up visually from 3D World, of course there would be some technical compromises.

Graphics aren't as important as gameplay. And a Mario platformer that doesn't run at 60 FPS is downright bizarre!

That's just not up to Mario's high performance standards.

Edited by Glen-i
It's still the morning, slipped up.
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Graphics aren't as important as gameplay. And a Mario platformer that doesn't run at 60 FPS is downright bizarre!

That's just not up to Mario's high performance standards.

I agree with you, but it's ridiculous to call 30FPS (in handheld mode) evidence of EPD "not giving a shit about Switch games anymore".

For the record I'm not saying raw graphics are important, I think 3D World is one of the most beautiful Mario games there is, but they're obviously experimenting with a grander scope in Bowser's Fury and technical compromises obviously had to be made. That doesn't in any way suggest Nintendo "don't care about Switch games", whatever that means.

Edited by Ronnie

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I agree with you, but it's ridiculous to call 30FPS (in handheld mode) evidence of EPD "not giving a shit about Switch games anymore".

For the record I'm not saying raw graphics are important, I think 3D World is one of the most beautiful Mario games there is, but they're obviously experimenting with a grander scope in Bowser's Fury and technical compromises obviously had to be made. That doesn't in any way suggest Nintendo "don't care about Switch games", whatever that means.

There should not be a noticeable performance delta between Handheld & Docked mode (no other first party title has ever had any significant difference in performance between the two modes).  The fact that there is such a delta is proof that EPD built the game for Docked mode without consideration for how it would run in Handheld mode.

Simply put, they couldn’t be bothered to optimise the game properly for Handheld mode (and it’s not like it even performs well in Docked mode either; 720p is pretty pathetic when Odyssey ran at 900p; and this game isn’t really doing anything that Odyssey didn’t in terms of scope).

You can make all the hubbub in the world about “oh, the graphics mean that there’s no way that Switch could possibly run it better!”; but at the end of the day? EPD chose to push for graphics here without considering performance (and it’s not even like it looks better than Odyssey anyway).  They could’ve built the game around the Switch’s Handheld mode and then scale upwards, but they chose not to.  They couldn’t be bothered to optimise the game for Handheld mode, end of.

Edited by Dcubed