NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.

Mine is out for delivery. Had to have it sent to my parents place so probably won’t get it in my hands until Christmas. Will be a nice present from me to me.

1 hour ago, V. Amoleo said:

It's got a very nice crisp screen on it.  Much better than I expected.  I wonder what the resolution is on it, I googled but can't find anything.

I looked at Nintendo's site in Japan and all I got there was it has a 2.36 inch colour display. No details at the moment about the resolution.

Am I missing something? Does resolution really matter for 2 NES games and a G&W one?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Am I missing something? Does resolution really matter for 2 NES games and a G&W one?

It does when it's not an even integer scale... Which is unfortunately the case here...

Remember how DS games look blurry on a 3DS when you don't use the secret button combo that makes the screen smaller? Yeah, that's what's happening here with the NES games... The screen is higher resolution than the NES games, but the screen is not an even integer multiplier of the NES' resolution, so you get a blurry bilinear upscale.

Thankfully the rest of the stuff on this thing apparantly renders at the screen's native res though and looks good.  I mean, it's not like you'd be getting this thing for actually PLAYING SMB 1 & Lost Levels anyway; it's a tabletop centrepiece toy/clock that just so happens to come with two bonus NES games (there are FAR better ways of actually playing these games).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

So I am now finding out that this is incredibly distracting to have on your work desk.

I do have one question though: does anyone have any idea why the dot that goes around the clock screen randomly starts flashing? If the sound is on, the ticking also changes. It doesn't seem tied to any events that I've noticed.

I got this for Christmas, and since it's a gift, I'm not going to complain about it too much, but it does confirm for me that I'd have never bought it myself, even being the fan and collector that I am. My biggest disappointment with it though, the one thing that I expected from it at least, is the lack of an alarm. The current and only use for me is that I occasionally check it for the time when I'm watching Netflix or something, so I don't have to alt-tab out of it. It's fun seeing all the little events. But that's pretty much it.

Sign in to follow this