NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Super Mario Bros. 35 (Dead)

7 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Yeah, I've died several times from over/ under correcting on jumps. I would say they tinkered with it to up the chaos; it isn't maddening to die and retry. Swimming is strange too. There seems to be a current in places--was it like that in Mario 2: Lost Levels? I'm thinking of firing up the NES app to see how the games feel there. This is definitely different to Mario Maker 2, that's for sure.

Actually, there's always a current when you're swimming above holes. In every single version.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Yeah, I've died several times from over/ under correcting on jumps. I would say they tinkered with it to up the chaos; it isn't maddening to die and retry. Swimming is strange too. There seems to be a current in places--was it like that in Mario 2: Lost Levels? I'm thinking of firing up the NES app to see how the games feel there. This is definitely different to Mario Maker 2, that's for sure.

Most of my deaths are usually physics related - I started to wonder could it be this is 60hz when most of us grew on 50hz? I don't know much about those things but a 5/6 ration aint exactly small - does it mean the game runs faster than we are used to?

(totes sucked so hard this morning. dying first 5 like 5 times in a row....dont do drugs kids :p )

• Sad 1

On 03/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, Glen-i said:

I've found a way to quickly end the match, and I'm dying with laughter.

There was 4 of us left, all of us were good at this. No-one was dying, and then I got to 1-2's warp zone and saw an opportunity to go to 6-1.

"Sweet! New level to unlock!" So I took it.

6-1 is the level where Lakitu is, and there's lots of high platforms, so a Fire Flower can easily pick them off. So I went through it, killed the Lakitus and a bunch of Spinys to boot. I got to the flag and 1-1 was next.

"Let's see them get through those Lakitus" I said.

Yeah, they did and it had a side effect I didn't foresee...

You see, with 4 people left, everyone was targeting "Attackers", Hey, I said that tactic would end the match, can't guarantee it'll help you win.

MATE

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

Yep, Lakitus basically initiate an endgame situation. It just constantly snowballs because you can almost never leave them behind and have to kill them eventually, via Star, Fire Flower, POW Block or finishing the level.

And it's always funny!

• Haha 1

Anyway, I just realised that if you choose to start a game as Small Mario, you get a X2 multiplier to your score. Got over 2,000 coins after I won a game just now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'd been wondering about the 'small mario' bonus(and keep.meaning to post...was so angsty for new special battle - forget previous chaos i had a good few runs with a 4-1 in it with lakitus spinies and also a few mad hammer bro and bowser recips - but im utilising my pipes where I can!)

Think I've taken one 1st on Special so far and maybe one on 35-player too - been finding the latter interesting as more stages are open variety is changing etc and its affecting my strats too! However despite asking yourself the other day how stages and unlocking works despite probably picking 3-3 as I haven't cleared it >97% of the time I go into 35(with a mushroom usually) I have yet to even reach let alone attempt to clear the thing!

Now...if you'll excuse me I do believe my Switch is now rather charged again...(honestly this has really eclipsed much of my gaming atm lol)

• Thanks 1

I finally got around to playing my first game a bit earlier today. After doing a trial run of 1-1 to familiarize myself with the controls I played my first game. Considering I went against people who weren't Level 1's like me, I'd say I did pretty well -- I got 2nd. I only died because my time ran out.

So, what did we think of this in the end? I enjoyed it in the beginning but haven't played it for the last couple of months. With so many games on the Switch, stuff like this (or Tetris 99) just falls to the back of my playlist. The events in this were also not that interesting, and maybe knowing all progress would go on 31st of March also made me play it not that much.

I did start it up yesterday to see what happens. You can start the game, select a game mode (it even still tells you a special event is happening), pick a mode, choose your loadout, start cueing and that's the moment it finally tells you online services have ended. They could have done an update telling you that on the homescreen, prompting an uninstall or something.

It was a weird experiment that ended up being a bit of a mess design wise.

I wouldn't really say that it felt much like a "multiplayer" or "battle royale" experience though, because you're largely still playing solo; just that your gameplay affects other people's games.  It's a bit like Maboshi: The Three Shape Arcade on Wii Ware, if you've ever played that game (only WAY more chaotic).

It was fun though! Can't say that it would've had the longevity of Tetris 99 (which is just brilliant design wise), as SMB35 is just a bit messy and unrefined, but I did have fun with it while it lasted :) 

Edited by Dcubed

Sign in to follow this