NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit (16th October)

Hahaha! Oh man, that looks like so much fun! :D What a fantastic idea. :cool: 

Any info on price? Don’t really have the space to properly set something like that up (also, how will those things drive on carpet? :heh:) but even so I really, really want it. :hehe: 

Really like the look of this. Assuming Mario and Luigi are separate products I hope they’re able to add more over time and you could have a group of people playing together. I’ll definitely buy everything they do for this.

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Hahaha! Oh man, that looks like so much fun! :D What a fantastic idea. :cool: 

Any info on price? Don’t really have the space to properly set something like that up (also, how will those things drive on carpet? :heh:) but even so I really, really want it. :hehe: 

@Dcubed just screamed that they're 100 dollars each.

Ouch...

• Thanks 1

Mamma mia!

It's fun from a tech point of view but I don't think I know anyone that would have the space for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently Velan Studios was founded by people that previously worked on the Skylanders series...

... that explains a lot.

Love it. Typical Nintendo idea, something completely fresh and different. They're kings of doing the unexpected.

This could prove to be really fun for me and my son (3 years old). He loves remote controlled cars. 

So just watched the trailer again and it looks like the course creation is as simple as placing those 4 gates and then driving around (and through each gate) with paint on the tyres to draw the track. :cool: It should be possible to recreate SNES and GBA tracks then. I imagine some people will even construct mini real-life replicas of existing MK tracks for this. :grin:

It looks like a lot of fun. A bit like Zelda Four Sword Adventures though, I doubt many people will ever get to have the 'full' experience.

• Like 1

I love the concept and if it works correctly (like the video) then I’m sure there will be some hugely creative ideas by people.  The fact that the Switch is portable surely gives the opportunity to make larger courses too as players can remain close enough to the cars?  I’m just speculating though.

I doubt it’ll work well on carpet so sadly I can’t see many areas of my house I could use it, but from a purely conceptual viewpoint it’s fantastic!  Let’s just hope it works as advertised and that price point isn’t too outrageous....

It's pretty cool how in-game items actually affect the real-world cars. Camera looks pretty beefy too so hopefully a good image quality

To play multiplayer, you need two cars, obviously. But surely just one Switch, right? RIght??

3 hours ago, RedShell said:

(also, how will those things drive on carpet? :heh:

The trailer had one of the proposed tracks go over the rug. They don't show it though. I'd need to see how it runs on carpet and carpet divider (to use multiple rooms).

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

To play multiplayer, you need two cars, obviously. But surely just one Switch, right? RIght??

One Switch per player. It's not like you can play the Switch on a TV screen with two controllers or anything like that, after all.

• Thanks 1

A bunch of screenshots and images on the Japanese site for this product:

4.png

There is a suggested retail price of 9,980 Yen, which is around £70

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

Kings of left field indeed, I think this looks awesome! A really distinct and creative idea, I'm a big fan of Nintendo still being in the toy business and trying to branch out from games, especially in ways like this where it ties back into gaming. 

Will I get one? Nope.

But if I had a kid would I absolutely use them as an excuse to? You bet :p

4 hours ago, Helmsly said:

A bunch of screenshots and images on the Japanese site for this product:

4.png

Honestly, I was a bit concerned about the price being too high, but £70 or thereabouts seems pretty fair to me. The only thing I can really think to compare it to is a Scalextric set, and the most basic of "starter" sets growing up were somewhere in the £80 - £150 range. 

Hope they continue to support this with maybe more accessories (ramps? Hot Wheels-style loops?) and racers down the line, feel like this could potentially build up quite a healthy following if it's an ongoing thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Helmsly said:

That’s without tax, so adding that on I’d guess you’re looking at £100 once it get’s to the UK.

58 minutes ago, Julius said:

Honestly, I was a bit concerned about the price being too high, but £70 or thereabouts seems pretty fair to me. The only thing I can really think to compare it to is a Scalextric set, and the most basic of "starter" sets growing up were somewhere in the £80 - £150 range. 

As above, I think it’s going to be more than that in the UK and it seems a bit much to me. It’s really cool and and I’m sure will be a lot of fun, but I really doubt these cars are made with the quality you’d expect from spending that much money. It’s actually expensive enough that I’m rethinking getting them all together.

I almost ordered both sets before realising that to play multiplayer you'd need two Switches as well!  It looks very cool but part of the fun of Mario Kart is the multiplayer.

14 hours ago, Julius said:

Kings of left field indeed, I think this looks awesome! A really distinct and creative idea, I'm a big fan of Nintendo still being in the toy business and trying to branch out from games, especially in ways like this where it ties back into gaming. 

Will I get one? Nope.

But if I had a kid would I absolutely use them as an excuse to? You bet :p

Agreed.  This is way more interesting than the Lego Mario set (which is still probably the biggest missed opportunity they've had on the toy side of things; how the hell do you screw up such a braindead easy concept!?).

14 hours ago, Julius said:

Hope they continue to support this with maybe more accessories (ramps? Hot Wheels-style loops?) and racers down the line, feel like this could potentially build up quite a healthy following if it's an ongoing thing. 

The thing about the price here though is that you have to include the price of the Switch itself into the mix... I'm honestly surprised that they didn't just go ahead and make this a mobile phone app instead.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

I know I can check myself but I presume you get the game, one car and the cardboard goal things as part of the game and then you buy the other car on top? So it's something like £180 for all that presuming you already have two switches? Do you also need two copies of the game for multiplayer?

Sign in to follow this