NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (RIP)

On 12/09/2020 at 9:25 PM, drahkon said:

Heh, getting quite excited to play Super Mario 64. Never got all 120 stars (also never got everything in Super Mario Sunshine) so this will be fun :D Gonna take quite some time, as I'll only play this with my mate on Sundays for a couple of hours.

Managed to pre-order a second copy. Hope it'll go through. That'll be the Christmas gift for my sister sorted :)

One of the reasons this doesn't appeal to me is I've done it time and time over(i know you do the SMW run - you get it). I also find it doesn't take me as long anymore - but that seems to be the way with a lot of older content now. It's obvs a very fun and good play - I'll be curious to hear which 5 stars you find the hardest of all; cos I have some ideas ;)

edit:^sm64. sunshine killed my interest in collecting all because of the blue coins.

10 minutes ago, Rummy said:

I'll be curious to hear which 5 stars you find the hardest of all

Probably none. As this forum surely must know by now: I am a master at video games. :cool:
My recent adventures with Super Mario Bros. 3 prove it. And @Glen-i will vouch for that. HE WILL!

• Haha 2

Yeah. I know exactly which one is gonma get you. It's one of the secret ones.

(totes didnt realise you guys were doing the onlone stuff until earlier today btw! i dipped into smb3 recently but im trying to trigger all the secret stuff i can along the way too. actually...which one of you did the fortress in world 8 :p??)

5 minutes ago, Rummy said:

It's one of the secret ones.

I know of a few that will annoy me...red coins with wing cap, red coins underwater and pretty much everything else underwater because water levels SUCK (unless you're called Rayman Legends).

19 minutes ago, Rummy said:

actually...which one of you did the fortress in world 8 :p??)

Me. To be fair, @drahkon said beforehand he never played that far in SMB3. I'd say he did pretty well considering 75% of it was new to him.

I really dig playing SNES games online with other people. It's a great way to inject a little freshness to those titles. Even the ones where you take turns, because there's the added pressure of knowing someone is watching you, ready to give you a good sarcastic clap should you die in a silly way. Which makes you more likely to die in a silly way.

Anyway, Rummy. If you're up for some online co-op SNES action, just give me a shout over the weekend.

And to keep this somewhat on topic. The 5 worst Mario 64 Stars are Mario Wings to the Sky (Bob-omb Battlefield), Getting 100 coins in both Dire Dire Docks and Rainbow Ride, Secrets of the Shallow and Sky (Wet Dry World) and that secret star to the left of Tick Tock Clock, the one where you have to get 8 red coins with the Wing Cap.

25 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

And to keep this somewhat on topic. The 5 worst Mario 64 Stars are Mario Wings to the Sky (Bob-omb Battlefield), Getting 100 coins in both Dire Dire Docks and Rainbow Ride, Secrets of the Shallow and Sky (Wet Dry World) and that secret star to the left of Tick Tock Clock, the one where you have to get 8 red coins with the Wing Cap.

Hmm. I don't recall super hating RR for coins but again I've played so much I probably forget(plus also SM64Ds playthrus with diff mechanics). Since my playthroughs as young I used to only collect 100 and exactly only 100 coins for every single coin star for a tiny bit of challenge so maybe I focused too hard on that :p

Think I probs agree on DD coin star however! Tick Tock Clock as a whole can be annoying in places though still prefer it overall to RR! The star next to them both IS indeed the star I expected to be most annoying lol. Wet Dry World I always really liked as a level! Probably did spend much time on it but I found it kinda cooly surreal I just enjoyed playing on it every time especially with its world mechanics.

13 hours ago, Rummy said:

Think I probs agree on DD coin star however! Tick Tock Clock as a whole can be annoying in places though still prefer it overall to RR! The star next to them both IS indeed the star I expected to be most annoying lol. Wet Dry World I always really liked as a level! Probably did spend much time on it but I found it kinda cooly surreal I just enjoyed playing on it every time especially with its world mechanics.

Tick Tock Clock is probably my favourite level, because it's basically all skill based. A real platforming gauntlet.

The reason why Rainbow Ride 100 coins suck is because of the blue coin switch. You have a strict time limit to wall jump up a very long set of walls. Mess up once and you might as well start the level again, because you're not getting 100 coins. Wall jumping is very difficult in the original Mario 64. (The DS version has wall jumping similar to the NSMB series where you slide down a wall and can jump whenever, one of the many reasons why I prefer the DS version)

Wet Dry World is a cool level, but that particular star is painful if you don't know where to look. It can seem completely random where the secrets are.

40 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Tick Tock Clock is probably my favourite level, because it's basically all skill based. A real platforming gauntlet.

The reason why Rainbow Ride 100 coins suck is because of the blue coin switch. You have a strict time limit to wall jump up a very long set of walls. Mess up once and you might as well start the level again, because you're not getting 100 coins. Wall jumping is very difficult in the original Mario 64. (The DS version has wall jumping similar to the NSMB series where you slide down a wall and can jump whenever, one of the many reasons why I prefer the DS version)

Wet Dry World is a cool level, but that particular star is painful if you don't know where to look. It can seem completely random where the secrets are.

I think the thing with Tick Tock clock is the fact its surrounding a massive abyss and a bad fall/jump/camera flip could cost ye(especially at the top lol). For RR i think being last course the player is supposed to be more used to it? Also you can quickstep via the back and some long jumps to the blue coins section without the rides - so again maybe twas just a first thing I tackled! It definitely took me a while before I got comfortable with wall jumping etc - but I felt(as annoying as it was) putting that star of Cool Cool Mountain early on in the game kinda nudges the player towards it(and oh my can you utilise side someersaults and wall jumps in a few places for shortcuts later on!)

Still actually waiting on GAME taking my money for my order for this. Don't know whether I should be concerned for getting it on Friday (more likely Saturday up here because of the way the post has been) or not as they say they'll take payment up to 7 days before release. Trying to decide whether to cancel my order there and just stick in a click and collect with Argos that I can pick up in Sainsbury's on Friday.

Wasn't originally massively fussed for playing this but I've had the Gusty Gardens Galaxy music stuck in my head for the last couple of days and now I can't wait to play Galaxy again. Sure, I'm also looking forward to replaying 64 and Sunshine (adverts for the latter keep coming up on YouTube so that doesn't help) but Galaxy is just such a special game that I haven't played since the Wii so really looking forward to playing it.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people have gotten hold of the game and investigated how it works 

Spoiler

Mario 64 is the revised Japanese ROM running on an N64 emulator (no backwards long jump glitch)

Texture and language packs are injected on the fly by the emulator.

Spoiler

Sunshine is running on a Wii/GameCube emulator which is seemingly made by Nintendo of Europe.

Spoiler

Galaxy is an odd one. Parts of the code that use the CPU has been ported to run natively on Switch, but everything else runs though the same emulator as Sunshine.

My personal guess for this is that this had to be done for the touch screen to work as the pointer.

Details from here: https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1305773333020016640?s=19

• Thanks 7

Sorry guess I was wrong! I didn't know you could improve textures/language and increase the resolution/field of view with emulation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Cube said:

Some people have gotten hold of the game and investigated how it works 

Mario 64 (Hide contents)

Mario 64 is the revised Japanese ROM running on an N64 emulator (no backwards long jump glitch)

Texture and language packs are injected on the fly by the emulator.

Sunshine (Hide contents)

Sunshine is running on a Wii/GameCube emulator which is seemingly made by Nintendo of Europe.

Galaxy (Hide contents)

Galaxy is an odd one. Parts of the code that use the CPU has been ported to run natively on Switch, but everything else runs though the same emulator as Sunshine.

My personal guess for this is that this had to be done for the touch screen to work as the pointer.

Details from here: https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1305773333020016640?s=19

Well that's very interesting. 

Guessing this is a new GC/Wii emulator? In which case, how many articles do you think we're about to see swarm the internet with talk of GameCube and Wii catalogues coming to Switch Online? :laughing:

55 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Can I has GCN & Wii VC now plz Nintendo?

Everyone - Can we have an N64 / GC / Wii Virtual Console for the Switch?

Nintendo - We are going to release N64 retail titles in 2021, GC retail titles in 2022, and *Wii retail titles in 2023...

*But not Super Mario Galaxy 2, that'll be saved for Mario's 40th Anniversary collection ;)

• Thanks 1

Amazon.de dispatched my copy...without tracking... 

Ladies and gents, last time you did this, my copy never arrived. Granted, that was 4 years ago, but still...you're better than this.

Finger's crossed that it'll arrive this time. I doubt I could get a replacement copy thanks to Nintendo's bs.

1 hour ago, V. Amoleo said:

I wonder what Galaxy is like when compared to the ones released in China for the NVIDIA Shield.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-super-mario-galaxy-hands-on-with-tegra-x1s-wii-emulator

It’s interesting that it’s not using the same emulator as on the Nvidia Shield; that’s what I was expecting them to do, so they definitely surprised me there!

NERD seem to have taken over all of Nintendo’s emulation projects now.  While NST (who used to do the N64 VC emulator) are now doing native ports of EPD/ EAD games (They’re doing Super Mario 3D World for Switch - They have no input on Bowser’s Fury though, that’s EPD Tokyo’s next project after Super Mario Odyssey) and collab development with indie studios (Good Job, Snipperclips).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 6:56 PM, Ronnie said:

Sorry guess I was wrong! I didn't know you could improve textures/language and increase the resolution/field of view with emulation

There is a lot of very cool things you can do, especially when you’re putting good money into it and own the originals. Modern systems are so much more powerful the emulators can read what is happening as it happens and inject different things at the right time or pull in new code for a while then go back to the emulator. You could pretty much do anything you could think of given enough time to code it.

My copy shipped! Had to order it from the UK so quite expensive, but I’m really looking forward to playing all three of these.

• Thanks 3

As expected, my copy from Amazon hasn't arrived. To be fair, it's not release day :p
Thankfully, I've ordered a second copy which I can pick up tomorrow. Really hope both copies will be mine, tomorrow, though. My sister (who has only become a real gamer 2 years ago) needs to play these games :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

Yep, that's Mario Sunshine. So, so rough. All fun and games until you have to take Yoshi for a boat ride.

I know none of you will believe me, but I managed to do the dreaded pachinko machine without losing a life.

Anyway, 43 Shines down, 104 Blue Coins. No I'm not trading them in until I have all 240.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I know none of you will believe me, but I managed to do the dreaded pachinko machine without losing a life.

Last year, my best mate played through his Game Cube copy. I was there when he reached the pachinko machine. I said to him: "Have fun, this is gonna make you rage".

He did it first try. :blank:
He had a lot of trouble with fucking Phantamanta, though :D

I should get at least one copy today. I might actually play Super Mario Sunshine by myself, since my mate played it last year.

Edited by drahkon