NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (RIP)

18 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Nintendo doesn't dip prices, they have an image as a premium, quality product that doesn't do flash sales and cash-in bargains. The world is not as black and white as "Activision does it, why can't Nintendo?" They don't want to give the impression of "here's three old games at cheap prices" they want to say "here's a lovely, well organised, well treated collection of absolutely sublime games that you know will have been ported perfectly and look better than ever".  Activision also supplements a huge amount of their income from shifty practices like loot crates, pay to win and microtransactions, for one thing.

Well said. Put much better than me.

I still don't see any hypocrisy. No one was criticising the Crash or Spyro collections, quite the opposite in fact. But then again this is Nintendo, and certain people  just love to criticise anything and everything.

Edited by Ronnie

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Well said. Put much better than me.

I still don't see any hypocrisy. No one was criticising the Crash or Spyro collections, quite the opposite in fact. But then again this is Nintendo, and certain people  just love to criticise anything and everything.

I think it's more a case of Nintendo gets the same praise for this as Activision got for a lot more effort and at a lower price point.

• Angry 1

Just now, LazyBoy said:

So this will be sold physically like normal right? Just for a limited time?

Physically with limited stock.
Digitally just until 31st of March next year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I think it's more a case of Nintendo gets the same praise for this as Activision got for a lot more effort and at a lower price point.

Are people really praising Nintendo for this though? People are excited sure, but no one's saying "Well done Nintendo" or applauding them.

Just a weird complaint to make imo, really scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

Edited by Ronnie

27 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Or the real reason - it's 50 quid because Nintendo fans will pay anything. You say it's a quality product but there is no quality to this remaster, graphically speaking they have done the bare minimum for that 50 quid. Obviously they are stellar games but when you look at what others have done with their re-releases, this is disappointing.

Well you either pay 50 quid or you get nothing.

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

Not paying 50 quid gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside that I still have 50 quid to spend elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

image.png

Yes, yes... let your hatred fuel your power.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Not paying 50 quid gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside that I still have 50 quid to spend elsewhere.

True, but you won't be able to play Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy on your Switch.

I'd only waste it on something else anyway.

It's a bit disappointing that these are really low effort. SM64 lacking widescreen for example is a bummer.

That said, my main disappointment is that Sunshine is 30 FPS. For those that don't know, the game ran at 60 FPS throughout it's development but because the game had to be rushed out due to poor GC sales, they dropped the framerate to 30. Truthfully, you're better off playing it via Dolphin. At least it's full HD.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ike said:

Exactly. They know Nintendo fans will pay 50 quid, and in their defence they are good games. Just disappointing level of work gone in for the 50 quid when you consider recent efforts by other companies. The FOMO aspect of the limited time availability on the eShop is also very weird. Presumably available separately afterwards?

• Like 2

Just now, Ike said:

True, but you won't be able to play Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy on your Switch.

I'd only waste it on something else anyway.

To be fair I'm probably gonna sell my Switch soon anyway so wouldn't play them regardless. If I wasn't then I would maybe play Galaxy at a push. Never really liked 64 and Sunshine was around at a time when I played a lot of Gamecube so I've probably played enough of that.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Cube said:

Will the camera controls in SM64 be updated at least?

My money is on no.

64's camera is serviceable. It's Sunshine that really needs a camera overhaul.

8 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

It's a bit disappointing that these are really low effort. SM64 lacking widescreen for example is a bummer.

That said, my main disappointment is that Sunshine is 30 FPS. For those that don't know, the game ran at 60 FPS throughout it's development but because the game had to be rushed out due to poor GC sales, they dropped the framerate to 30. Truthfully, you're better off playing it via Dolphin. At least it's full HD.

How do you know it's 30 FPS out of curiosity? The footage they showed seemed to be from the Gamecube version as it still had that controller's button design on the UI :confused:

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Exactly. They know Nintendo fans will pay 50 quid, and in their defence they are good games. Just disappointing level of work gone in for the 50 quid when you consider recent efforts by other companies. The FOMO aspect of the limited time availability on the eShop is also very weird. Presumably available separately afterwards?

The other companies selling collections at lower prices doesn't exactly mean they did it for the consumer's benefit, they might not had faith they would sell at a higher price. The rest was probably just a bonus. Obviously I don't know the real reason they were priced lower so I'm just speculating/throwing out other points of view. But as stated it's not always black and white and why don't know the reasoning behind the decisions.

Like you said, Nintendo knows they will sell so they applied some "Nintendo tax". I was a bit shocked when I saw the price, I'm sure the physical version will be a bit cheaper when the online retailers start putting it up.

I did expect Mario 64 to get some graphical upgrades, so I do agree with you.

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

The other companies selling collections at lower prices doesn't exactly mean they did it for the consumer's benefit, they might not had faith they would sell at a higher price. The rest was probably just a bonus. Obviously I don't know the real reason they were priced lower so I'm just speculating/throwing out other points of view. But as stated it's not always black and white and why don't know the reasoning behind the decisions.

Regardless of the price point, the graphical upgrades in those other re-releases has been really good, so this is disappointing for me regardless.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 2

We just say 'price' around here guys. No need for any other words.

Just now, bob said:

We just say 'price' around here guys. No need for any other words.

Your point

Edited by Julius

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

How do you know it's 30 FPS out of curiosity? The footage they showed seemed to be from the Gamecube version as it still had that controller's button design on the UI :confused:

Switch supports GameCube controllers. And it was in wide-screen, so it can't be the GameCube version.

• Thanks 1

I don't understand the limited-time thing. Limited physical copies run, fine. Ceasing to sell it after the end of the fiscal year seems somehow both capitalistic & nonsensical at the same time? I'm assuming I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

Good damn Nintendo infuriate me.

I would buy this in a heartbeat if they had updated the graphics but Nintendo just do the bare minimum and then slap a stupid 'only available for a limited time' label to prey on FOMO.

I would probably play full price just for SM64 with new graphics, but this I won't be going anywhere near.

The FOMO stuff with all of their announcements today actual sickens me, I think it's disgusting.

• Like 2