NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (RIP)

Doesn't even have the best 3D Mario...

Honestly surprised they're bundled. Granted they're not remasters, but it's a very un-Nintendo move.

42 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Honestly surprised they're bundled. Granted they're not remasters, but it's a very un-Nintendo move.

Is it? I thought Nintendo have always been quite keen on bundling old content like this. I think they would have had to be very strong remasters to justify individual packaged released.

I’ll definitely buy this, but I’m a bit upset they didn’t include Galaxy 2. It’s the one 3D Mario game I’ve not managed to play through and was hoping this would be my chance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, will' said:

Is it? I thought Nintendo have always been quite keen on bundling old content like this. I think they would have had to be very strong remasters to justify individual packaged released.

Apart from the Bayonetta 1+2 combo and Metroid Prime Trilogy, I can't think of many bundles that Ninty have done recently.

31 minutes ago, will' said:

I’ll definitely buy this, but I’m a bit upset they didn’t include Galaxy 2. It’s the one 3D Mario game I’ve not managed to play through and was hoping this would be my chance.

Yeah proper remasters with updated visuals etc they tend to release standalone, but collections like this have been a thing from Nintendo for a while.

Disappointed they didn't update the visuals but watching the gameplay in the Direct the games still look great, Galaxy and Sunshine especially.

And coming out in two weeks! I love it when they do that.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, will' said:

I’m a bit upset they didn’t include Galaxy 2. It’s the one 3D Mario game I’ve not managed to play through and was hoping this would be my chance.

Don't worry, you'll get the chance in 10 years. Then you'll be able to buy the Super Mario 4D All-Stars Collection. But only from September 1st 'til September 15th. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Something I think is hilarious:
Activision, probably the worst video game company these days, releases a Crash Bandicoot remake (!) trilogy (!) for budget (!) price (don't forget about the Spyro trilogy).
Nintendo releases an almost untouched port collection for 60 bucks and gets praised to all heavens.

Edit: And mark my words: Nintendo will release the Switch Pro in April next year. This collection is just a means to sell more regular Switch consoles :p

Edited by drahkon

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Something I think is hilarious:
Activision, probably the worst video game company these days, releases a Crash Bandicoot remake (!) trilogy (!) for budget (!) price (don't forget about the Spyro trilogy).
Nintendo releases an almost untouched port collection for 60 bucks and gets praised to all heavens.

Between Crash and Mario though, I know which one I'd actually enjoy.

Crash games suck. Never played Spyro though.

• Like 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

Between Crash and Mario though, I know which one I'd actually enjoy.

Crash games suck. Never played Spyro though.

My post wasn't about which games are better, though ::shrug:

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

My post wasn't about which games are better, though ::shrug:

Mine was.

But Nintendo games in general are just valued higher than competitors because of the consistent high quality.

Whether that's a good thing is a whole different debate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Doesn't even have the best 3D Mario...

They're bundled and available for a limited time...that's FOMO tactics to get you to shell out 50 quid.

I am disappointed in the price to be honest, it looks like they're doing the bare minimum graphically speaking but charging full whack. When you compare this to other trilogies that have had actual graphical remaster work (w.g. Crash, Spyro), they were 35 quid at release.

We don't even get the DS remake of Mario 64 which had extra detail to the character models and additional characters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

But Nintendo games in general are just valued higher than competitors because of the consistent high quality.

Not denying the high quality. It's just the hypocrisy (with regards to what I posted above) of some people that annoys me.

• Like 1

Nintendo doesn't dip prices, they have an image as a premium, quality product that doesn't do flash sales and cash-in bargains. The world is not as black and white as "Activision does it, why can't Nintendo?" They don't want to give the impression of "here's three old games at cheap prices" they want to say "here's a lovely, well organised, well treated collection of absolutely sublime games that you know will have been ported perfectly and look better than ever".  Activision also supplements a huge amount of their income from shifty practices like loot crates, pay to win and microtransactions, for one thing.

If we wan't to talk bizarre decisions, it's the crazy choice to provide this in limited physical supply. Which will just lead to loads of NES-Classic style scalping.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Shorty said:

The world is not as black and white as "Activision does it, why can't Nintendo?"

Of course not, I just wanted to point out a bit of hypocrisy but apparently that's not something people like to discuss.

• Haha 1

Just now, drahkon said:

Of course not, I just wanted to point out a bit of hypocrisy but apparently that's not something people like to discuss.

I think it should be discussed.

Probably not on this thread though. Will just end up derailing the thread.

General Gaming Discussion would be a good place to have the discussion if you're willing to start it.

• Like 1

Just now, Shorty said:

Nintendo doesn't dip prices, they have an image as a premium, quality product that doesn't do flash sales and cash-in bargains. The world is not as black and white as "Activision does it, why can't Nintendo?" Activision also supplements a huge amount of their income from shifty practices like loot crates, pay to win and microtransactions.

If we wan't to talk bizarre decisions, it's the crazy choice to provide this in limited physical supply. Which will just lead to loads of NES-Classic style scalping.

Or the real reason - it's 50 quid because Nintendo fans will pay anything. You say it's a quality product but there is no quality to this remaster, graphically speaking they have done the bare minimum for that 50 quid. Obviously they are stellar games but when you look at what others have done with their re-releases, this is disappointing.

• Like 3

Yeah the main conversation here should be how ridiculous the name is given one of the games doesn't even have stars!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

if you're willing to start it.

To be honest...not really. There will be some people that will turn the thread to shit.

Anyways, as much as I disagree with Nintendo's approach to the limited availability (only regarding the digital version), I just ordered a copy from Amazon.de (at least I hope the order gets through). I love these games and having them on my Switch will be nice.
And if anything, with good care I will be able to get a hundred bucks out of it next year :p

• Haha 1

This limited time release is no different to what they did with Mario Allstars Wii, Four Swords Anniversary and the Kirby Dream Collection.

It sucks, but it’s not new.  Nintendo just like doing limited time things when it comes to anniversary celebrations.

I’m more upset about this being based on the Shindou version of SM64 without the BLJ glitch :( 

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Yeah the main conversation here should be how ridiculous the name is given one of the games doesn't even have stars!

Shines are suns are stars, though. 

I'd have loved a true remake of SM64 with modern day graphics and controls. Wod have bought that instantly. This, though, is not for me. I've played and still own all the games and didn't enjoy Sunshine that much. And they just updated the resolution? That's a tad lazy. Are they 60 fps? Have they updated the textures at least? 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Not denying the high quality. It's just the hypocrisy (with regards to what I posted above) of some people that annoys me.

Who was criticising the Crash trilogy, that would allow for hypocrisy? 

Putting aside the gulf in quality, Nintendo games are valued higher, it should be pretty obvious by now. 

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Shines are suns are stars, though. 

Oh wow, I never even considered that!

That's brilliant!