NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (RIP)

10 hours ago, markderoos said:

It is meant as a collection of games that clebrates the history of 3D Mario, right? 

Poor Galaxy 2...

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, markderoos said:

I suspect they did it to keep as close to the original releases as possible without making them totally unplayable. It is meant as a collection of games that clebrates the history of 3D Mario, right? 

My absolute counter to this would to be to compare it to its presumably original namesake of Mario All-Stars?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ashley said:

They do remake their films with modern techniques though. Both of those films have been remade with modern techniques. 

It's more akin to Disney's vault than anything but let's not get into that again!

You're not helping your argument by bringing those disasterpieces up :p 

On 07/09/2020 at 8:44 PM, Jonnas said:

Ok, that's enough. I ignored your previous egging, because I figured it was a question (if an aggressive one), but please don't ask other forum members to take a stand, or have the same opinions as you. It's been pretty clear nobody in this forum is particularly happy with the collection, and there's a multitude of reasons for that. Don't go around demanding they show the same level of indignation that you do.

It's bad enough faith when politicians do it, don't bring that habit here.

Mod note:Just to say I didn't clock this little bit of an exchange when I posted yesterday.

@Sheikah I can see where Jonnas is coming from but also I can see it was from you to DCubed and so I'll leave it up to you two there as sometimes member-to-member context can be lost to others(as recently with me and Goafer to some). To pretend that the quoted statement wasn't reading baity and confrontational would be a lie - but snippets and context etc.

I have edited a part of your post reply in that - as ever any discussions folks wish to have with me on this feel free to PM public wall etcetc. Not here in thread.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Until the Lion King remake

Yeah that's what I was going to say.

But it's a side issue really.

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

You're not helping your argument by bringing those disasterpieces up :p 

In my defence Ronnie chose those films!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rummy said:

My absolute counter to this would to be to compare it to its presumably original namesake of Mario All-Stars?

Good point. I do think though that remastering the three 3D titles into one graphical style would be a bit much to ask compared to what they did with SNES All-Stars (translating 8Bit to 16Bit graphics).

If they would follow that same vision with the 3D collection, it would mean rebuilding Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy into one and the same (the Oddysey) engine. That would be epic ofcourse, but would take loads of time to develop and I guess they wouldn’t then bundle them for the same price they’re currently asking (seeing how they’re handling the Super Mario 3D World port and ask full price for that ;))

In the end it’s up to anyone individually if they think this collection is worth their money of course. 

• Like 2

The original All Stars was also 27 years and 3 Nintendo presidents ago. The fact that whenever they've ported those 2D games since then they've always used the classic art style says just as much.

Edited by Ronnie

37 minutes ago, markderoos said:

Good point. I do think though that remastering the three 3D titles into one graphical style would be a bit much to ask compared to what they did with SNES All-Stars (translating 8Bit to 16Bit graphics).

If they would follow that same vision with the 3D collection, it would mean rebuilding Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy into one and the same (the Oddysey) engine. That would be epic ofcourse, but would take loads of time to develop and I guess they wouldn’t then bundle them for the same price they’re currently asking (seeing how they’re handling the Super Mario 3D World port and ask full price for that ;))

In the end it’s up to anyone individually if they think this collection is worth their money of course. 

Ah yeah I can take that actually - though I wasn't actually meaning to imply that extreme(again my focus was more just on sm64ds +30stars extra content anf characters/gameplay options - poss even put in BOTH* versions just utilising same assets?) for me. It would be curious though even with that - what if they DID standardise the assets and looks and slickened them together to a similar style(there was still between title differences even within all stars snes)?? Like...imagine a physics* perfect like gameplay the same SM64 but looking as beautiful as Galaxy? Man. THAT on a limited run might get me interested - just for novelty tho really; I still prefer gameplay over graphics if given the choice but Galaxy did certainly feel pretty when I played it.

*i realise there are no doubt physics differences between the DS and 64 versions that could be used to wedge this argument; but I hope the idea came across

• Like 1

Does anyone think there will be a hidden bonus once you collect all the stars/shines in order to live up to the name?

Would be a nice touch but doubt it.

10 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Does anyone think there will be a hidden bonus once you collect all the stars/shines in order to live up to the name?

Would be a nice touch but doubt it.

Galaxy 2 :p?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If I had to choose I’d rather have 3D Land added to the 3D World port than Galaxy 2 added to the All-Stars collection.

Not a popular opinion I guess ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markderoos said:

If I had to choose I’d rather have 3D Land added to the 3D World port than Galaxy 2 added to the All-Stars collection.

tbh for the all-stars angle that would actually be far slicker! maybe less rewarding for some though -.-

6 hours ago, markderoos said:

But it's a celebration of 3D games...

• Haha 2

Wasn't really intending to pick this up as I've plenty to play at the moment but given that it's likely to be scarce, I've ended up sticking in a pre-order with GAME hoping that because everyone else bombarded Shopto and other online stores with orders where the price was cheaper, I'll actually get a copy on launch. I'm not actually expecting it on launch just because of the sheer volume of people who seem to have pre-ordered on other sites but hopefully I'll be surprised and it'll drop through the letterbox on Friday. If not, hopefully it'll only be a couple of days later and not that I've missed out as I'd expected it to be a while before copies become available again.

Mainly getting it because I'd love to play Galaxy again (even if I'd prefer to play 2 more) and some of Sunshine. I'm not hugely fussed to jump into 64 again as it really could have done with an update beyond some basic visual updates. It'll also probably maintain its price if I decide to sell on down the line.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

That's a bit worrying. I'd decided I wasn't going to get caught up in the hype and buy it next week, and that I might ask for it as a Christmas gift. I really hope that it isn't so scarce that it's impossible to pick up physically unless you already have a preorder (and even then, may not be safe...)

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

What I'm guessing has happened is that the retailer had their first supply of 3D All-Stars completely bought out in pre-orders, and haven't heard from Nintendo UK about when the next supply will be due. Which is still a bit concerning. 

I have two copies pre-ordered from different retailers to get one for myself and another for my brother as a Christmas present (would have been the same place, but they sold out, and not expecting price to go down at all between now and then).

We've seen how poorly Nintendo has handled supply and demand before (Mini consoles, for example), and while I'm sure there'll be more in stock soon, I'm still expecting the total number produced to be limited, just considering that we have an end date on when they're going to be selling copies. 

I think if you're interested in getting a copy, even at Christmas, you're probably going to be best off snagging a copy as soon as you can. 

• Like 1

I've got a gym session at 10 on Friday. Going to check a Tesco before and failing that Game after. If I don't have any success sod it. If Nintendo isn't going to make much stock whatever. 

You can still pre-order it from the official Nintendo UK store so either the demand is low on there or they have more copies available than with usual limited availability stuff like special editions. Usually with special editions the pre-orders close between a few hours and a few days after going up, but Mario is still available on there more than a week later so it would be weird for it not to readily available elsewhere too - I doubt that Nintendo would be hoarding all of the stock for their own storefront.

It’s still available on Amazon as well. They had a smaller allocation than they expected and they cancelled all orders? Only 1 retailer has reported not being to able fulfil orders (so far), something’s not right.

I know it's available elsewhere still and I know base isn't huge but if they're getting a piddling allocation compared to normal either it means generally stock is low and they're at the short end or Nintendo is favouring bigger names at the expense of other retailers. 

Got the icon, just the cover art, but still looks quite nice:

th2yojmlyfm51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Also got our first look at the title screen and menu today during Nintendo Minute (~0:21 and ~0:57 respectively), looks really clean! 

Also apparently the menu music is from Galaxy 2, but I can't verify that as I've never played the game :p

• Like 1

Heh, getting quite excited to play Super Mario 64. Never got all 120 stars (also never got everything in Super Mario Sunshine) so this will be fun :D Gonna take quite some time, as I'll only play this with my mate on Sundays for a couple of hours.

Managed to pre-order a second copy. Hope it'll go through. That'll be the Christmas gift for my sister sorted :)