Ashley

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (It's a out now)

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not really sure. All I know is that it felt really weird in compared to modern games. It's as if you can't just turn on the fly and instead have to do a small circle. I fired up both Sunshine and Galaxy for a quick go and they feel much better. They are so fluid and smooth whereas 64 feels weighty in comparison.

As for 100% in Sunshine? Of course. :D 

This really, really pissed me off. I died so many times because of this. 

When I actually started playing Sunshine it felt SO much better. Like an actual modern game. The difference is so stark. Honestly, I had a much, much better time with Sunshine overall. It still holds up despite a few niggles that aren't really present in modern games. I'm thinking quickly restarting failed challenges etc. But the game is great, spraying the path ahead and trying to slide for as long as possible is still tons o' fun. I got up to 104 shines, which is actually the most I've ever got, but I didn't fancy the blue coin challenges so ended up moving on to Galaxy.

Again, 60FPS is such a stark contrast with the previous games. It feels so silky smooth and looks absolutely gorgeous in HD. It's a shame the Wii hid a lot of what it could actually manage. Some of those textures up-res'd still look great by today's standards. 

I hated on this collection a lot before release, but after putting a good 50 hours in to it, it's easily sitting close to the top of my GOTY list. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Get him, @nekunando!

Even though the N64 is the greatest thing that ever graced this earth, the control stick has a lifespan.. but it's great in the beginning :grin:

Even after years of Mario Party abuse, it's probably still more reliable than the Joy-Con stick..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure the N64 version controls were like that because I hated the game because of them.

The first time I gave the game a proper shake was the DS version. Which had a worse controller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Galaxy looks gorgeous. It really is a testament to the quality of the artstyle when it looks this good by simply increasing the resolution. I played it for an hour or so in handheld mode and it felt great.

I still have issues with the collection. The presentation of the games and menus is absolutely abysmal. It's as if they just got a new starter/intern to knock something up in a day. Also, it's not really a celebration of the anniversary at all. They could have had art work, interviews, commercials and other bits and bobs in this package but this would have required actual effort. :p 

I look at collections like this, both past and present, and a lot of them are far superior products.

To this day I think Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 Remix is the heights that other developers need to reach when making these types of collections. Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts: Re Chain of Memories are versions of the games that were never released over here. Birth by Sleep was trapped on the PSP and so was ported to this collection. All of the games were upscaled and ran at 60fps. They also added two lengthy movies that covered the two DS games. The best part? It was released for £35. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, Galaxy looks gorgeous. It really is a testament to the quality of the artstyle when it looks this good by simply increasing the resolution. I played it for an hour or so in handheld mode and it felt great.

I still have issues with the collection. The presentation of the games and menus is absolutely abysmal. It's as if they just got a new starter/intern to knock something up in a day. Also, it's not really a celebration of the anniversary at all. They could have had art work, interviews, commercials and other bits and bobs in this package but this would have required actual effort. :p 

I look at collections like this, both past and present, and a lot of them are far superior products.

To this day I think Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 Remix is the heights that other developers need to reach when making these types of collections. Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts: Re Chain of Memories are versions of the games that were never released over here. Birth by Sleep was trapped on the PSP and so was ported to this collection. All of the games were upscaled and ran at 60fps. They also added two lengthy movies that covered the two DS games. The best part? It was released for £35. 

Yeah I'm with you there. From a "collection" standpoint it's weak sauce. The soundtracks were nice, but the menus are shite.

I compare it to some of the stuff Konami and Capcom have put out over the past few years and it's bordering on embarassing. That said, I'm glad I got to experience these great games again looking nice on the "big telly" :grin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Even though the N64 is the greatest thing that ever graced this earth, the control stick has a lifespan.. but it's great in the beginning :grin:

Even after years of Mario Party abuse, it's probably still more reliable than the Joy-Con stick..

Right, I'm gonna just go ahead and rate all of the Nintendo Control Sticks from worst to best. Think of it as my early Christmas present to you all.

Spoiler

Joy-Con - Yeah, this is indisputable. Utter garbage quality even if not going by the general high quality Ninty has. It's not a matter of if it breaks, it's a matter of when it breaks and that when is coming sooner than is acceptable.

3DS Circle Pad - It's an analogue movement input device, it counts. I've also experienced drift on 2 out of 3 of my 3DS consoles, not to the extreme that Joy-Cons have. They just can't cope with the bonkers amount of time I spend moving around in RPG's.

N64 - Absolutely deserves respect for cementing the method of 3D movement, but it's uncomfortable to keep your thumb on for long periods of time and is also not as durable as other sticks. Bonus point for having the Octagonal gate. Every stick needs an Octagonal gate.

WiiU - I'm counting the Gamepad and the Pro Controller together because they're effectively the same anyway. It's fine, but it lacks the Octagonal gate.

Switch Pro Controller - Basically the WiiU stick, but more comfortable. That's about it.

Wii Nunchuk/Classic Controller - It's effectively the same as the upcoming best Ninty stick, albeit a bit smaller, which is why it misses out on the top spot.

Gamecube - Absolute Sticky Perfection! Octagonal Gate? Check. Nice and big? Check. Incredibly durable? Super check! I don't know why anyone would move away from this because it hasn't been topped since! Thousands of hours in Smash Bros and it still works beautifully! Joy-Cons are just embarrassing compared to this.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not really sure. All I know is that it felt really weird in compared to modern games. It's as if you can't just turn on the fly and instead have to do a small circle. I fired up both Sunshine and Galaxy for a quick go and they feel much better. They are so fluid and smooth whereas 64 feels weighty in comparison.

As for 100% in Sunshine? Of course. :D 

Sounds like Mario's turning circle just hasn't aged as well as I'd like to remember, then! Turning him when shell-surfing must have been a bit of a struggle.

Even outside the blue coins, some of the stars in Sunshine are stinkers. Best of luck with that endeavour!

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Pretty sure the N64 version controls were like that because I hated the game because of them.

Self-bannable offense to be fair...!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Self-bannable offense to be fair...!

Past tense, I like it now. :heh:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this as a Christmas gift. I don't remember Sunshine being so difficult, or maybe I've just got bad at Mario games 😂 I remember the non-FLUDD levels being a challenge before, but some of the difficulty of them feels cheap/unfair. The challenging levels of a similar style in the Galaxies/3D Land etc. feel a lot more refined. I miss the long jump! And there doesn't seem to be many 1-Ups around compared to other games. 

Still quite enjoying it, but remembering why Sunshine is regarded as one of the lesser 3D Marios. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this for Christmas. I'm in love with Super Mario 64 again. It brought me back to Christmas Day as a kid when I first got my N64!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been tackling Mario Galaxy in between other games. The credits have rolled and 120 stars nabbed.

Eqk9qhtUYAAPtVu?format=jpg&name=large

I tried playing the game with the Pro Controller but the motion controlled stuff just wasn't great to use. After that I pretty much played exclusively in handheld mode and it was a much better experience. Collecting the star bits with the touch screen was super easy and quick. It was much better than using the Wiimote. 

The game looks lovely in HD. It's a credit to Nintendo and the style they used that a game that is 10+ years old can look this good with a resolution bump. It reminds me just how good DS/3DS games can look when put through a HD emulator.

I did have an issue with the Purple Comet stars. I don't mind the ones where you have to grab all 100 coins in a time limit but the ones where you have to go around the stage and find them all are VERY tedious. The game isn't challenging and so walking around  and looking for 100 scattered coins is very boring. Kinda feels like these were filler stars just to get it to a total of 120.

Still, besides this issue, I enjoyed playing through the game again. I think I prefer this version over the Wii one. The controls are better and the visuals no longer have jaggies.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never expected Galaxy to work well without the Wiimote pointer, or even better as you say, so it's great to hear you had a positive experience. Did you happen to notice if they modified the positions of the twinkling stars on the title screen?

Next up, bring on your report of Sunshine without the Gamecube controllers analogue shoulder buttons!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Did you happen to notice if they modified the positions of the twinkling stars on the title screen?

They didn't, it still happens to be on those letters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, darksnowman said:


Next up, bring on your report of Sunshine without the Gamecube controllers analogue shoulder buttons!

I'll be playing that with the GameCube controller. The only reason I jumped to Galaxy first was because I can't be bothered to go up the attic and fish out the adapter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I tried playing the game with the Pro Controller but the motion controlled stuff just wasn't great to use. After that I pretty much played exclusively in handheld mode and it was a much better experience. Collecting the star bits with the touch screen was super easy and quick. It was much better than using the Wiimote.

I ended up playing with the joycons detached and found it just as intuitive as when I played it on the Wii with the Wiimote. Yeah you have to press whatever shoulder button recentered the pointer, but after a while I didn’t have issues with that. 
As you said, amazing looking game and it looks better than it did when it was released and that’s saying something. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites