NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (RIP)

10 hours ago, killthenet said:

Major Burrows is a major arsehole

Yeah, most bosses in Galaxy attack Mario out of nowhere, because they either work for Bowser or are some malevolent spirit. Major Burrows is harassing a rabbit for no good reason.

Who would do such a thing!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Credits rolled yesterday on Super Mario Sunshine with 59 shines. Despite some frustrating bits (and I haven't even tried the pachinko machine yet!) I still love this game and I prefer it over Mario 64. The camera is a lot better, Mario controls and responds better, and I actually like that the game revolves around an island and it doesn't have the average snow/desert/lava etc. structure (coming back to the discussion from the podcast).

It amazes me how well the graphics hold up here, the slightly cell-shaded look combined with the vibrant colours make it feel very fresh still. Oh, and I love the a capella Mario theme in the FLUDD-less levels!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m about 30 stars in to Mario 64 and I swear the camera was never this bad. I guess after so many years of improvements you get used to something a lot better, but I’m still surprised by it. The two stars in the volcano took me ages to finish as I just could not get a decent angle to see where I was trying to jump.

I never had a problem with it before, but wow, it sucks!

• Like 3

Came across that stupid pachinko level last night :bouncy: OMG who thought that was a good idea for a level. I gave up. Any tips?

Did have a nice blue coin hunt in a couple levels just taking a stroll around. Did this game have the 100 coins for a shine in each level thing?

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 2:37 AM, Will said:

I’m about 30 stars in to Mario 64 and I swear the camera was never this bad. I guess after so many years of improvements you get used to something a lot better, but I’m still surprised by it. The two stars in the volcano took me ages to finish as I just could not get a decent angle to see where I was trying to jump.

Yeah, I started on Mario 64 a couple of weeks back. To be honest I got maybe 40 stars in and unlocked a few extra areas but don't find myself longing to go back. It's weird, Mario 64 is easily one of the most significant games of all time and I think from a control standpoint it has aged very well, but as a game I feel it lacks the charm of something like Banjo Kazooie, and the camera is annoying as fuck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I feel it lacks the charm of something like Banjo Kazooie, and the camera is annoying as fuck.

200.gif

32 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Came across that stupid pachinko level last night :bouncy: OMG who thought that was a good idea for a level. I gave up. Any tips?

Did have a nice blue coin hunt in a couple levels just taking a stroll around. Did this game have the 100 coins for a shine in each level thing?

I did it first time...

200.gif

• Angry 1

Are there any extra levels unlocked for getting all 120 stars with Luigi in Galaxy? I just got the 120th with Mario, so will probably best Bowser again to unlock Luigi but I'm not sure I can really be bothered to do the whole game again with him.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:37 AM, Will said:

I'm tempted to see if I still have my originals about to bust them out and play - but I can deffo feel you on the camera. It's why I have issues with a very select few levels but your example of the volcano is a perfect one - tho the one saving grace is if you have enough life you can burn a bit and recover. I used to wonder tbh if BBH was made to try and gaslight us into accepting the bad camera and falling into holes(one thing I will say my Mario career has made me very proficient at; especially considering my recent ventures into SMB 35)

20 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Yeah, I started on Mario 64 a couple of weeks back. To be honest I got maybe 40 stars in and unlocked a few extra areas but don't find myself longing to go back. It's weird, Mario 64 is easily one of the most significant games of all time and I think from a control standpoint it has aged very well, but as a game I feel it lacks the charm of something like Banjo Kazooie, and the camera is annoying as fuck.

*breathes heavily in Plumber...*

c7504c9b72d073bc3279757c51ae4b65.gif

21 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

The physics are utterly borked in that. Try not to use the hover to maneuver yourself around because it'll just let you down. Instead, use it as a sort of emergency brake right when you're above a red coin.

Oh, and I did it first time on my HD run, bit of a fluke that.

4 hours ago, killthenet said:

Are there any extra levels unlocked for getting all 120 stars with Luigi in Galaxy? I just got the 120th with Mario, so will probably best Bowser again to unlock Luigi but I'm not sure I can really be bothered to do the whole game again with him.

Spoiler

There is one level. But it's just the Star Festival from the intro. Except now there's a bunch of characters telling you you're great. And then you get the 121st star.

Yeah, not worth it, but it's worth noting that the Cosmic Clone races are way harder when you're playing with Luigi.

Anyway, another reason why Galaxy 2 is better. That lets you swap between Mario and Luigi after seeing the credits and getting all 120 stars unlocks another 120 green stars. And yes, they're different. And then getting all those gets you a ridiculously difficult level for 2 more stars!

Galaxy 2 is great.

• Thanks 1

Q'APLAAAAAAAAAAA! For the first time in my life I have all 240 Blue Coins. But I'm not trading them for Shines after all that. They're MINE now!

I had to use a guide/checklist to get them. And even then some of them were frustrating to find. I know it's a bit late since Sunshine is so old, but the Blue Coins are really dumb imo. If they had some kind of hint system and perhaps showing you how many coins are exclusive to specific episodes and I wouldn't complain, but some of them are so hidden and obscure and episode exclusive that it would take forever to find them all, without a guide.

Next person's reply: "I found them all in an hour without a guide and I've never even played a video game before!" WELL GOOD FOR YOU!!! xD

Anyway, all that's left is the 100 yeller coins and the final battle.

Oh and Blue Coins aside, I still think it's a really excellent game!

Edited by Sckewi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m really looking forward to moving on to Sunshine. I never thought I’d say it but I am really not enjoying Mario 64 all that much. So many camera issues, the controls don’t feel as tight as I want them to and the way I hold the Switch seems to have me flipping between Mario and Lakitu camera all the time. 

I’m about 50 stars in and I think I’m going to do the minimum to complete it then move on to Sunshine. I haven’t played it since I originally did on the GameCube and I absolutely loved it at the time. Hoping it still holds up now.

Just came across this video, and I figured it's relevant:

Amusingly, this video was posted well before 3D All-Stars was announced, so you know it's not made for clicks. When I finally get around to playing Odyssey, I'll make sure to analyse that beach level as seriously as the rest of the game.

Playing 64 has really killed any nostalgia I had for the N64 era. Were all games and cameras from the time this janky? I think the rest are better left in my memories.

41 minutes ago, Rob3008 said:

Playing 64 has really killed any nostalgia I had for the N64 era. Were all games and cameras from the time this janky? I think the rest are better left in my memories.

No, you have to realise that Mario 64 was the first kind of game to utilise this kind of camera. Even in the same era, camera control did improve. Banjo-Kazooie is a good example.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Inverse camera controls will be made available in the next update, coming on November 17th. 

[Notice] Update data Ver.1.1.0 of "Super Mario 3D Collection" is scheduled to be delivered on November 17th (Tuesday). You will be able to change the camera operation to reverse for all three recorded titles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Better late than never :D

I'll probably won't make use of this, though, as I'm set on selling my copy. ::shrug: Not in the mood for Mario 64 and Galaxy.

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Better late than never :D

I'll probably won't make use of this, though, as I'm set on selling my copy. ::shrug: Not in the mood for Mario 64 and Galaxy.

I’m enjoying Galaxy more than the other two to be honest. Just something about the game that makes it so special. 64 was annoying me with the camera and Sunshine was just taking it out of me. Probably just Mario fatigue. 
If you’re not desperate to sell I’d hold off until Nintendo stop selling it. You may be able to get more for it then. 

1 minute ago, BowserBasher said:

If you’re not desperate to sell I’d hold off until Nintendo stop selling it. You may be able to get more for it then. 

Yeah, still debating what to do.

I'd love to have the money in order to buy a next-gen game for the PS5 launch, but waiting might be better in the long run. :D

Credits just rolled on Galaxy with 95 stars. Still my favourite Mario game. I love everything about this game. It’s visually stunning to look at even now, controls are tight and intuitive. Levels are designed with great detail and boss fights are some of my favourite. That final battle with Bowser is so much fun. My only gripe is the Spring power up and be a bit awkward to control but with practice it does get easier. 
I did fine it easier this time round, that one level where you traverse the 8bit Mario to collect the star bits then have to get back to the start was a pain first time round. This time I did it first try with no problems. Even the Dare Devil comets I’m not struggling too much with. Still died more times than in the normal level but nowhere near as much as in the original. 
Now I’ll go for 120 stars. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2020 at 8:11 AM, Vileplume2000 said:

I actually like that the game revolves around an island and it doesn't have the average snow/desert/lava etc. structure

Aye, it just has several average water themed levels. The blue coins and constant "secret" levels still remind me of how lazily they've made some of this. I'd rather they got rid of it if they're not going to try.

Currently stuck on the Hotel Lobby Secret, that lil bastard Mario will not stay on that revolving thing. It's one of the slowest things and he just can't stop showing off his acrobatics and failing miserably.

The lack of freedom to get non-level specific shines every time, in some instances I understand, but it's a case of "you want other shines? Fuck you, get this one first"

Still, not a bad entry.

[I confess, I didn't find the pachinko one that hard either - spent more time going round in circles than falling out the bottom]

21 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Currently stuck on the Hotel Lobby Secret, that lil bastard Mario will not stay on that revolving thing. It's one of the slowest things and he just can't stop showing off his acrobatics and failing miserably.

Wait, are you jumping? Because that's a mistake. You can just walk over revolving platforms when it's halfway to the other side.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Wait, are you jumping? Because that's a mistake. You can just walk over revolving platforms when it's halfway to the other side.

It isn't one that is traveling automatically so you can't really do anything halfway through. 

Managed to do it though, ground pounding to stop any potential sliding. 76 shines and working through Pianta Village, just done *another* "secret", so that was... refreshing.