NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (RIP)

Yaaay just bought it! :D Here's a picture of the box:

[GAME PURCHASED DIGITALLY]

Can't wait to play it, I'll have a quick go after the download and then spend a few hours on it this evening. :D

Edit: Also I had a thought about the timed window thing.

Remember how when the original Super Mario All Stars came out it didn't include Super Mario World, and then after a while they released a version that did?

Perhaps that's what's going on? Maybe they're going to release a future Super Mario 3D All Stars which includes Odyssey for people who haven't got it yet?

Edited by Sckewi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

Perhaps that's what's going on? Maybe they're going to release a future Super Mario 3D All Stars which includes Odyssey for people who haven't got it yet?

Even in the fans' wildest wishes, Galaxy 2 gets snubbed :heh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO forced motion controls even with the Pro Controller. D: It's making me use the stupid gyroscope to throw the star bit things, and on the menus. And it's as horrible as ever.

Oh well, guess I'll have to get used to it lol. xD

Edit: Okay I take it back, turns out I was doing it wrong and the gyroscope controls aren't tooooooo bad. xD

Edited by Sckewi
  • Haha 1

I'll be able to pick up a copy after work. :peace: 

Amazon.de updated the order with a "Sorry the package hasn't arrived, yet". Calm down...I haven't even complained, yet, as the game launches today. :laughing: 
Anyway: "Expected arrival 17th to 21st of September". Doesn't fill me with hope that the game will be here today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Nintendo Store order arrived. Gonna play them in order, so starting with Mario 64.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's nice to play Super Mario Sunshine again.
I still have my Game Cube copy but it's at my mom's place (as is everything video game related aside from my PS4 and Switch).

Gonna play Sunshine on my own, since my best mate already played it quite recently. Can't wait to give Super Mario 64 a go with him on Sunday, though :D

Edited by drahkon

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Nintendo Store order arrived. Gonna play them in order, so starting with Mario 64.

You say this - but will you do all 150 in order too :p?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Mine just arrived too. Think I’m looking forward to playing Sunshine again the most.

To those that have been playing how are the controls for Fludd since there’s no analogue triggers. 

26 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

To those that have been playing how are the controls for Fludd since there’s no analogue triggers.

Takes some getting used to, but shouldn't take long for the avid gamer.
Biggest issue, however, is that the controls aren't inverted. :nono: Why not give us a choice, Nintendo...

• Thanks 1

Just now, drahkon said:

Takes some getting used to, but shouldn't take long for the avid gamer.
Biggest issue, however, is that the controls aren't inverted. :nono: Why not give us a choice, Nintendo...

Yep, this. Fludd controls fine, but they changed the vertical controls and I keep aiming down when I want to aim up.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Still waiting on both my ShopTo and SimplyGames copies, haven't seen the postman out my window while working today (I've seen him every day this week so far) so no I have no idea what's going on ::shrug: both despatched yesterday morning too, weird...

But oh well!

Still looking forward to digging into these games for the first time for sure, got to start with 64 :D hopefully be here in the morning and I can crack on with getting some Stars tomorrow! 

My copy arrived this lunchtime so I've had a chance to play all three for a bit in my Lite and I think shockingly, Sunshine is probably the only one I'll end up putting significant time into. 64 just seems to feel so dated now in terms of controls and that camera is really grating. I love the game but I just don't know if I can be bothered jumping back into the restricted a control scheme. I'll jump in again and try playing more to see if it clicks in my head but it didn't really take hold in the hour I tried. It really could do with a proper remaster as that would be phenomenal with the right team and effort.

Galaxy I have issues with because of needing to use the touch screen for star bit collection and aiming of them. The Lite is smaller than the standard Switch for handheld play but having to stop what you're doing in game to drag your finger across the screen just isn't intuitive because of the nature of the gameplay. Similarly, I don't remember the camera changes being so extreme as the are here. Maybe its the smaller screen I'm playing on but its really jarring having it whip round as you go around a planetoid and then there are issues with the directional controls keeping up as I've had issues where I'm pressing forward to follow through on a move round a planetoid and Mario has just spun round in a circle or gone off in a completely different direction. All a bit odd and disappointing as Galaxy was the one I was looking forward to replaying the most.

Sunshine plays great though. The lack of adaptive triggers took a little to get used to but I got my head round it quickly and really enjoyed my hour in it so far. I enjoyed Sunshine back in the day anyway so its nice to revisit it all these years later. It also looks really nice on the Lite screen.

I know these impressions will run contrary to most and that in the cases of both 64 and Galaxy a bit more time might help acclimatise to them, but I am somewhat disappointed with the collection and really do think a bit more effort on Nintendo's part should have been made. We'll see how I get on but with Hades on the go and me wanting to get Kentucky Route Zero finished, I may find more of my time elsewhere sadly.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Might watch some 480p videos of Sunshine and Galaxy to remember what SD looked like before loading this up :grin:

• Haha 1

I refuse to move on to Sunshine untill I get all 120 stars! That will be a first for me actually.

I had a real hard time getting the wing cap star as a kid. Only took me about 7 or 8 tries this time. Also I didn't know about the second star in the princess's secret slide untill I watched a few speedruns.

62 Shines now. Just done The Manta Storm on my first attempt. Suck it, Japanese Advert Guy!

Spoiler

The key is to stay near the ocean, they can't goop up the water there, shouldn't be too difficult as long as you pay attention to your surroundings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Playing Sunshine in Italian and the voice acting isn't dubbed which is hardly surprising but what is surprising is that Delfino, which means dolphin in Italian, is called Delfinia 🧐

If you wanted to make it sound a bit more exotic perhaps don't have the voice actors say Delfino!

• Haha 3

@Glen-i

You seem to be well versed with Super Mario Sunshine. I've only ever beaten it once, but I intend to do it again and this time going for 100%. The Blue Coins, however, scare me a little. You mentioned there 240?
Any advice on how to best approach collecting them?

Also: Do you get a Shine for collecting 100 coins in a level?
Also: How does the Pianta at the airport play the guitar? He has a thumb and only one other finger. ONE HUGE EFFING FINGER.
Also: FLUDD is one scary robot. He seems to have the ability to scan everyone's face/body and immediately recognize who that is. WHY DOES HE HAVE A FACIAL RECOGNITION SYSTEM?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

@Glen-i

You seem to be well versed with Super Mario Sunshine. I've only ever beaten it once, but I intend to do it again and this time going for 100%. The Blue Coins, however, scare me a little. You mentioned there 240?
Any advice on how to best approach collecting them?

Also: Do you get a Shine for collecting 100 coins in a level?
Also: How does the Pianta at the airport play the guitar? He has a thumb and only one other finger. ONE HUGE EFFING FINGER.
Also: FLUDD is one scary robot. He seems to have the ability to scan everyone's face/body and immediately recognize who that is. WHY DOES HE HAVE A FACIAL RECOGNITION SYSTEM?

Ah, important questions, all of them.

Each main level has 30 Blue coins. So if you check the guidebook, you can figure out where ones you are missing are. (Delfino Plaza, Corona Mountain and the Delfino Airstrip after you've seen the credits) make up the last 30.

The only issue is that some blue coins only appear in a specific episode. Not to mention how bloody impossible some are to find. So my advice is, find a Blue coin checklist and use that to help.

Also: Yes, Each of the 7 levels as well as Delfino Plaza give you a shine for finding 100 coins.
Also: The guitar is custom made, computers implanted into the Piantas brains determine what tune they want to play and then play it whenever they start strumming.
Also: E.Gadd definitely has data on Mario after the Luigi's Mansion incident. (Sunshine is actually confirmed to happen sometime after Luigi's Mansion, there's a Pianta who asks Mario why someone can't suck up the Ghosts with a vaccum, then says, "Why are you looking at me like that?)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

My word, I hate Noki Bay and it's dodgy collision detection when you're shimmying along an edge, making you fall off through no fault of your own.

I hate how mean the blue coin hiding spaces are. Spray random parts of the cliff to make the wall go back and maybe reveal a blue coin! Fun!

I loved Sunshine, played it not so long ago on GameCube and it was still as fun to play then. Got all 120 shines too. Really hoping for a patch on the controls as they’re awful on this. I can live without the analogue triggers even though we all know it should’ve supported the Smash Bros GameCube controller. And I can just about get to grips with the lack of inverted aim even though it should’ve been an option. But it’s the face buttons that have me all in a twist. Muscle memory is making me press the A button to switch nozzles as it was on X on the Cube. Doesn’t feel natural at all yet. Controls should’ve been B to jump, Y to dive and A to switch nozzles. 

Still having a blast with 64 and Galaxy though. But I’ll hold on and hope that they listen to the numerous complaints and do something about it but I won’t hold my breath. 

17 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yep, this. Fludd controls fine, but they changed the vertical controls and I keep aiming down when I want to aim up.

This would be an absolute killer for me. I don't know how or when I became and inverted-Y player but I definitely became on old man because I sometimes actually start to feel weird with normal-y look; like physically. Or maybe it just hurts my head. Surprised it isn't a standard thing these days? Was the original a normal-y or inverted-y?

12 hours ago, martinist said:

I refuse to move on to Sunshine untill I get all 120 stars! That will be a first for me actually.

I had a real hard time getting the wing cap star as a kid. Only took me about 7 or 8 tries this time. Also I didn't know about the second star in the princess's secret slide untill I watched a few speedruns.

Whilst I'm not getting this game I am living so hard through all of you replaying SM64 for all the stars :p

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT(and yeah, the wing cap's red coins was an arsebastard as a kid for me too - but really it's Mario Wings To the Sky that is the biggest of them all!)

EDIT: Also don't forget your warps people! Super cool hidden warps out there - who knows them all? Even the one-way ones :p?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rummy said:

This would be an absolute killer for me. I don't know how or when I became and inverted-Y player but I definitely became on old man because I sometimes actually start to feel weird with normal-y look; like physically. Or maybe it just hurts my head. Surprised it isn't a standard thing these days? Was the original a normal-y or inverted-y?

EDIT: Also don't forget your warps people! Super cool hidden warps out there - who knows them all? Even the one-way ones :p?

The original was inverted-y.

I've noticed the cannon controls have changed from inverted-y to normal-y as well. I'm so used to Mario 64 that I keep aiming down by instinct. Very annoying.

And yes, I remember where the warps are. My memory for certain games is borderline scary at times. (It's how I finished the Link's Awakening remake and wrote up a review in a day, after all)

Anyway, 74 stars collected in Mario 64. I've stayed up all night, but now sleepiness is starting to set in, so will probably finish that when I wake up.

18 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The original was inverted-y.

I've noticed the cannon controls have changed from inverted-y to normal-y as well. I'm so used to Mario 64 that I keep aiming down by instinct. Very annoying.

And yes, I remember where the warps are. My memory for certain games is borderline scary at times. (It's how I finished the Link's Awakening remake and wrote up a review in a day, after all)

Anyway, 74 stars collected in Mario 64. I've stayed up all night, but now sleepiness is starting to set in, so will probably finish that when I wake up.

I thought it was!! In fact that may be where all this crazyness started for me...

EDIT: re: warps - the amount of places I would just stand around in on SM64! It was a bit before I concluded not EVERY world has them either...