NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (RIP)

13 minutes ago, gaggle64 said:

I don't understand the limited-time thing. Limited physical copies run, fine. Ceasing to sell it after the end of the fiscal year seems somehow both capitalistic & nonsensical at the same time? I'm assuming I'm missing something. 

They might be planning on releasing them separately after. 

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

giphy.gif

1c5aeacf332af22c722811c295789729.gif

(was going to post this earlier but got caught up in a work thing)

The box art is very uninspired. The original Mario All Stars did a much better job of making it look like a unique and cohesive package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm gonna buy digital, wish I'd done that with all my Switch games from the start tbh, saves switching carts. xD

Although, hopefully the games are associated with your Nintendo *ACCOUNT* and not the Switch it was purchased on, should the worst happen and my Switch explode.

I was thinking about pre ordering the physical copy, but that box and package look absolutely abysmal for a Mario collection, not a chance! 

I'll probably go digital, finally cash my two games for £84 voucher in on this and 3D World, as nothing else has tickled me for awhile on Switch. Or I blow the budget on the new Mario Kart which does look really cool!

Considering I already have these three games for the Wii, I might have to pass, despite the good value. The thought of also having them on Switch is attractive, but other than that, the collection doesn't bring particularly truly new to the table, like extras, or cut content.

I don't really get the limited availability. What's the point? Do they want to make this a seasonal thing, or maybe release a more complete collection next year? So bizarre.

At least we're finally getting a Gamecube port on the Switch. Release the rest!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Considering I already have these three games for the Wii, I might have to pass, despite the good value. The thought of also having them on Switch is attractive, but other than that, the collection doesn't bring particularly truly new to the table, like extras, or cut content.

I don't really get the limited availability. What's the point? Do they want to make this a seasonal thing, or maybe release a more complete collection next year? So bizarre.

At least we're finally getting a Gamecube port on the Switch. Release the rest!

It’s their typical thing they do for all of their anniversary game releases.  They’re always only available for a limited time.

Edited by Dcubed

I know many enjoy motion controls, and each to their own, but personally I dislike them so I'm really glad Pro Controller is an option! Perhaps this may also mean that Pro Controller will be an option for Prime Trio if they release that. Then all they need to do is patch Pro Controller into Pokemon Let's Go and so I can finally buy it. xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

I know many enjoy motion controls, and each to their own, but personally I dislike them so I'm really glad Pro Controller is an option! Perhaps this may also mean that Pro Controller will be an option for Prime Trio if they release that. Then all they need to do is patch Pro Controller into Pokemon Let's Go and so I can finally buy it. xD

Pro Controller still requires you to use motion controls... it has the same motion sensors as the Joycons.

Right, so I've been putting off Odyssey to play older 3D Mario games first to enjoy that sense of evolution, and it looks like the wait has paid off. Very excited to finally get a taste of some of these games, and always a fan of soundtracks being recognised by making them more accessible. Hopefully they've been cleaned up a bit!

As for the price...it doesn't bother me personally, because I'm just grateful to play the games on the Switch, to be honest. I've ended up with a pre-order of just over £40, so I'm justifying that as £15 on Galaxy and Sunshine, and £10 on 64, which to me is what I'd be more than willing to pick the games up for anyways. I feel like if - or when? - they're sold individually Galaxy could end up being £25, Sunshine could end up being £20, and 64 could end up being £15. The price tag feels justified for me going in knowing how critically acclaimed these games are, and wanting to return specifically to Sunshine for nostalgia and nothing else that I've mentioned elsewhere before. 

That being said, I do appreciate the perspectives of those saying that maybe Nintendo could have done more - be it with the frame rates of some of these games, or having a wide screen option for 64 - because, really, if you're putting out a collection like this I think you're right to expect the best versions of these games. When the Final Fantasy Collection eventually arrives, will I take a set of ports with sprites from the mobile version, with jank and all? Heck no. I'm expecting the original or best-looking sprites they've had before to be all dressed to the nines.

"All-Stars" is Nintendo screaming from the roofs that they're bundling together some of the best 3D Mario games, so yeah, I think it's fair to want them to take it all the way. Does it bother me? Not particularly, because I (perhaps selfishly) just want to play these games for the first time. 

As for the limited time run, yeah, I'm landing hard on the side that by all means have that be the case for the physical version (I mean I'm sure it would make enough to support it, but I understand wanting to make it something of a collector's item)...but why the digital version too? I'm struggling to justify it even from a corporate perspective, unless of course they are planning on selling it piecemeal at some point. 

Sure, it's happened in the past, I get that, but it being the precedent isn't justification to do it again. It's an excuse.

And, as @gaggle64 rightly mentioned, the end date of the limited run being the end of their financial year just screams some level of confused desperation from (or for?) their shareholders, by artificially generating demand through the fear of missing out, as others have brought up. It's just such a strange move to me. I don't think anyone else would get a pass on something like this - can you imagine if Xbox did this with the Master Chief Collection, or if PlayStation did this with the Uncharted Collection? - so I have to stick with my gut and say Nintendo is being a bit obtrusive here. 

But yes, I'm buying it, because I want to play these games, and I can't wait. I'm seeing some disappointed about Galaxy 2 not being included, but I'm happy with what we're getting in this, though of course I do hope that comes down the line to save me picking up a copy on my dusty Wii! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the Japanese adverts for this perfectly encapsulates Mario Sunshine.

Yep, 100% accurate.

Spoiler

The other two adverts with the other games feature much more successful attempts, which makes this even funnier!

• Haha 5

Yeah, fuck that Shine :D

My best mate and I decided to play through the collection on our upcoming weekly Sunday meet ups. Gonna spend one or two hours before the NFL kick-off getting stars. We'll start with Super Mario 64 and most likely won't finish it before the season ends. :laughing:

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

If you're on NSO you can buy a couple of digital game vouchers for £84 making 3D World and 3D All Stars £44 each instead of 50

(I'm not sure if the vouchers have been up for a while, thought they stopped selling them a while back)

It was only the US that stopped them for some reason.

17 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yep, 100% accurate.

Agreed. Hated that stage.

20 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yep, 100% accurate.

Reveal hidden contents

The other two adverts with the other games feature much more successful attempts, which makes this even funnier!

Loved that stage! Can't remember it being that hard, certainly memorable though

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

GameXplain have stated that the GameCube controller isn’t supported (it will act as a Pro controller).

That’s for the package as a whole; of course that would always be the case (no chance of it working with Galaxy).

Jury’s still out on whether or not Sunshine will recognise the Analog triggers/Digital Click when using a GCN controller though.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Loved that stage! Can't remember it being that hard, certainly memorable though

The stage has a cool aesthetic to it, but that particular Shine is notorious for being a massive difficulty spike that cannot be skipped (It's one of the Shines you need to finish the game).

It goes to show that if you look up the That One Boss Mario page on TV Tropes. Phantamanta is one of only two Sunshine bosses that qualifies. (Eely-Mouth is the other one, thanks to the weird swimming controls)