NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Mario 35th Anniversary Direct

Cool that they've finally announced the 3D All-Stars collection and 3D World coming over. Been a long drawn out rumour for both at this point, was actually starting to think it had gone the way of Star Fox Grand Prix.

What's not good, however, is the limited availability of the 3D All-Stars collection. Sure, do it with the physical edition but it makes little sense for digital purchases. Probably speaks to them splitting up the collection and selling them separately, though I do kind of wish they were doing that out of the gate. As much as its great to play 64 again, I've played it enough. Sunshine, well without the Gamecube's triggers its not going to work as well. Galaxy is the only one I'd love to replay, though I'd much prefer the sequel as that was just a better game all round.

Still, nice announcements. I've never played 3D World so might get a chance to now (if I don't sell my Switch on in the lead up to the PS5 launch to grab on of those, but thats up in the air).

I'd suspect that with 3D All-Stars and Pikmin 3 Deluxe, that's Nintendo's lineup for first party releases for the end of the year. Short of any surprises down the line, its not a great lineup if you're looking for new stuff from Nintendo, even with new content for Pikmin 3. I do suspect though that there'll be a much stronger lineup for next year.

• Thanks 1

Really liked most of what I saw. Few things are a bit odd and would have liked more in the 3D collection but it’s a good showing. Really like the look of the Game & Watch, will be putting in an order for that as soon as it’s available.

Welp, at work, but got caught up on the Direct during my lunch. 

l'll comment on the Direct later, because like everyone else, I'm now constantly refreshing the Nintendo UK Store home page :laughing:

That was really great. :) Even though some of the content was already known/rumoured, I don’t think anyone saw Mario Bros. 35 and Mario Kart Live coming. :heh: They were both a surprise to me, anyway.

44 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yes, but only in Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's the only Switch title that has proper support for the controller.

EDIT: @Dcubed informs me that this isn't the case. So no, no proper support there. Now I'm a little less intrigued.

There IS a racing game on Switch that does use the GameCube analog triggers...

Grid Autosport supports them

So yes.  The GCN HUD does strongly imply full GCN controller support for SMS.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Wow what a first page of this thread, given the announcements.

Anywaaay, amazing Direct. I was expecting 3D All Stars to be a random Twitter announcement so to get 15 minutes with so much brand new content is fantastic!! 

:bowdown: Nintendo 

Nintendo: Why remake old game when Rom dump do trick?

Super Mario 3D World looks bangin' though, really enjoyed that on WiiU so it's nice to see we'll get an extra world (or whatever the cat thing was) - Also kudos to them for using the credits theme, always been a classic.

Edited by Josh64
  • Thanks 2

content-4-36330-supermariobros35thanniversarydirectbanner.jpg

Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct Roundup

All up on the main site, N-Europe's Roundup of the presentation.

Full press release and video embed.

While it was a good presentation, there's only one thing I have to say...

Nintendo... why you change "Shine Get!" to "Shine" in Super Mario Sunshine? ::shrug:

Literally unplayable. :p

(joking aside, I really liked that original odd translation and it is a shame when videogame history is sanitised)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

Nintendo... why you change "Shine Get!" to "Shine" in Super Mario Sunshine? ::shrug:

Literally unplayable. :p

(joking aside, I really liked that original odd translation and it is a shame when videogame history is sanitised)

"Shine Get" was never in the original version though. Only the Japanese version has it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

"Shine Get" was never in the original version though. Only the Japanese version has it.

True... but I remember it, and it would have been nice if the option was there regardless, Shine Get is so much better than Shine. :D

(I could have sworn they left it in, in my mind I must have been seeing it anyway due to how enamoured I was with the original Japanese text)

Regardless... there's only one thing for it; might as well start a new movement, to demand that it gets included, despite this perceived inaccuracy...

#SuperMarioShunShine :p

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Super Mario 64 without “So Long Gay Bowser” and without the BLJ is not Super Mario 64.
That’s the real travesty here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, I still can't believe that they didn't include Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the collection as well, unless that's part of the plan all along, once you can't get one collection, release a second collection, and then when you can't get both of those, release them all in one, bundled collection.

It might have do something to do with file size as well, though I doubt it.

Also, isn't this collection out on September 19th? I'd have thought the pre-order for it on the store would be going up soon.

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

I do suspect though that there'll be a much stronger lineup for next year.

Copyright everyone (2018 + 2019) 

You know the drill: fool me once, shame on you... :laughing:

The direct was decent. Glad to see stuff finally announced. Happiest moment for me is the All-Stars version on the SNES app. The definitive versions of the 8-bit games. Means I can finally play them.

Sunshine and Galaxy both looked superb in 1080p widescreen, clearly credit to their fantastic art direction. 64 looks wank. Disappointed they didn't even try to touch the textures up or something. I think all three games could have benefited from a mild lick of paint, given the original All-Stars fully upgraded the four games in the collection. Who am I kidding though, Nintendo already have your money. Lack of Galaxy 2 leaves a sour taste and the "limited availability" is abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous. Shameful from Nintendo. The more the try to imitate Disney, the further away the push me ::shrug: I'm still undecided on this game. I could just pirate all three games for free, right now. A cheap an easy port is not worth £50.

Great that SM3DW is getting new content. That game is an absolute gem and needs to be played by everyone. I'll likely pass as my Wii U version is sat right next to me. 

Other stuff was "meh". I'm so bored of the original SMB now, I have no interest in anything they do related to this game. 

That Mario Kart AR game though. HOLY HELL, that looks amazing! Probably won't pick it up, because it looks very simplistic and aimed at kids but I definitely appreciate this bold new direction and hope it bears more fruit in the future. 

Edit: Having no new original games announced for Xmas on September 3rd is a joke. If Nintendo's "big" Holiday line-up is really Pikmin 3 and a couple of Mario ports, the new console is definitely coming next year...

Mental. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 2

Just now, S.C.G said:

Also, I still can't believe that they didn't include Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the collection as well, unless that's part of the plan all along, once you can't get one collection, release a second collection, and then when you can't get both of those, release them all in one, bundled collection.

Also, isn't this collection out on September 19th? I'd have thought the pre-order for it on the store would be going up soon.

its showing up for me or do you mean pre-install?

EhAFjNWX0AMRCGL?format=jpg&name=large

I agree with you about Galaxy 2, its quite surprising its not there but I guess there's nothing stopping them from releasing it separately in the future.

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Even worse (by a day), it's out on the 18th! 

And the physical version is still nowhere to be seen over here...been refreshing the UK Store home page for a good hour and a half or so now, which is where the game page redirects to at the moment for those interested in physical copies. Only place I've seen comment on it was GAME...

Very odd. I'm guessing stores haven't been given much of a heads up if it's even caught the official UK store by surprise!

Edited by Julius

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Very odd. I'm guessing stores haven't been given much of a heads up if it's even caught the official UK store by surprise!

Similar in Germany.

There's only an offer on Amazon.de but that doesn't even have the box art up, yet. I put a pre-order down and hope it's the real deal/it'll go through.

You’re gonna have to F5 those pages like mad... This shit is gonna sell out immediately...

9 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Also, I still can't believe that they didn't include Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the collection as well

They left it out of the medley as well along with Mario Land 2.

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

They left it out of the medley as well along with Mario Land 2.

Further proves my theory that Mario Land 2 is actually a Wario game.

18 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

From a marketing point of view putting the three games makes a stronger image, the three big tentpoles, one from each console.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Galaxy 2 release as paid/free DLC down the line though.

30 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Just realised you might have been talking about the physical release, which is up on Nintendo's store now:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-game/super-mario-3d-all-stars/12690751.html

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Just realised you might have been talking about the physical release, which is up on Nintendo's store now:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-game/super-mario-3d-all-stars/12690751.html

I spend 2 hours refreshing the main page...and even when it is added it doesn't show up there? :blank:

Appreciate the heads-up @Helmsly, managed to get a pre-order in :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Further proves my theory that Mario Land 2 is actually a Wario game.

It's actually a very enjoyable game which makes it completely at odds with your theory :heh:

Sign in to follow this