NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Mario 35th Anniversary Direct

U01CMzUucG5n

NINTENDO MARKS THE 35TH ANNIVERSARY OF SUPER MARIO BROS. WITH GAMES, PRODUCTS AND IN-GAME EVENTS

Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit and Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. all launching this year

3rd September, 2020  Mario has come a long way since jumping on that first Goomba in World 1-1 of the original Super Mario Bros. Now, 35 years since the launch of that game in Japan, he is starring in games new on Nintendo Switch, lending his likeness to brands like LEGO, Kinder Joy and Monopoly, and there will even be a Super Mario-themed Splatfest in Splatoon 2 .

In a new video presentation released today, Nintendo detailed several games, products and in-game events that are all arriving for the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. This includes games new to the Nintendo Switch family of systems like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, a collection of three Super Mario games of the modern era: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy; Super Mario Bros. 35, a 35-player online battle in the world of the original Super Mario Bros.; and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, an enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World which originally launched on Wii U.

Additionally, the video revealed other Super Mario experiences launching this year, like Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which brings the fun of the Mario Kart series to the real world using the Nintendo Switch system to control a real-life, physical kart; the launch of the classic Super NES game Super Mario All-Stars on Nintendo Switch Online later today*; and a new Nintendo product called Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., a mini gaming device inspired by the retro Game & Watch systems that plays the original Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels and Ball games.

The full video presentation can be viewed by visiting https://www.nintendo.co.uk/mario35. Highlights of the video include the following:

• Super Mario 3D All-Stars: Optimised versions of 3D Super Mario games Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy, are coming to Nintendo Switch in one package. In addition to having higher resolutions than their original versions, the games have been optimised for a smooth gameplay experience on Nintendo Switch. Super Mario 3D All-Stars also includes an in-game music-player mode to play the music and songs from all three games. Players can also listen to music on their Nintendo Switch systems when the screen is off. Super Mario 3D All-Stars launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch family of systems on 18th September. The packaged version software is a limited-time only production, and the digital version will be a limited-time only release until the end of March 2021. Super Mario 3D All-Stars is available to pre-order from Nintendo eShop today.
  • Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit: Created in partnership by Nintendo and Velan Studios, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit brings the fun of the Mario Kart series into the real world by using a Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite** to race against opponents using a physical kart come to life. The physical kart responds to boosts in-game and in the real world, stops when hit with an item, and can be affected in different ways depending on the race. Players place gates to create a custom course layout in their home, where the only limit is their imagination. Race against Koopalings in Grand Prix to unlock skins to customise courses and costumes for Mario and Luigi, and play with up to four players in local multiplayer mode .*** Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which is available in Mario or Luigi models, launches on 16th October.
  • Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.: This new collectable device is inspired by the original Game & Watch systems first released in the 1980s. The original handheld device included a game and could also be used as a watch to tell time. The original Game & Watch series sold more than 43 million worldwide. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. features a modern +Control Pad. In addition to playing classic games Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (released in Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2) and a special version of Ball with a Mario makeover, Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. also functions as a clock, with 35 little touches to discover, including some guest appearances from Mario’s friends and foes. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. launches on 13th November.
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury: Multiplayer mayhem pounces onto Nintendo Switch! This enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World, which originally launched for Wii U, features co-op gameplay both online* and through local multiplayer in a variety of creative levels. Additional details about what new things this game has to offer will be revealed later. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury launches for Nintendo Switch on 12th February 2021. New Cat Mario and Cat Peach amiibo will also be released as a double pack at the same time as the game.
  • Super Mario Bros. 35: Welcome to Super Mario Bros. … with 35 players! In this competitive online battle game, 35 players will compete to be the last Mario standing… or running. Enemies defeated will be sent to other players’ courses, but that also works the other way around! Players can activate special items to try and outpace their opponents. Super Mario Bros. 35 launches 1st October as a digital-only game exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online members*. The game will be playable until 31st March 2021.
  • Super Mario All-Stars: The classic Super NES game that includes upgraded versions of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3 with enhanced 16-bit graphics is joining the catalogue of games available with Nintendo Switch Online… later today*!
  • Super Mario Events: From now until March 2021, there are many events to mark the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.
  • From 08.00 CEST on 9th September until 08.00 on 23rd September, Mario Kart Tour will have a Super Mario Kart Tour event, with special appearances by Mario (SNES) and Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES) from the original Super Mario Kart.****.
  • Later this year, historical Super Mario items and 35th anniversary-themed merchandise will be available for purchase at the Nintendo Official UK Store.
  • A 35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedrun course is coming to Super Mario Maker 2 in November.
  • In November and December, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will have an in-game online tournament using Super Mario series fighters, stages and items.
  • A Super Mario-themed Splatfest is coming to Splatoon 2 in January 2021. Keychains will also be available as a My Nintendo reward closer to the Splatfest*****. In addition, physical Splatfest T-shirts will be available for purchase on the My Nintendo Store soon. The upcoming Splatfest asks the important question: Which Super Mario power-up do you prefer: supersize with a Super Mushroom or become invincible with a Super Star?
  • In March of next year, Super Mario-themed furniture will be available in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
  • Super Mario Products: In addition to events, many different Super Mario-themed products are now available.
  • Monopoly Super Mario Celebration from Hasbro is now available at retailers worldwide.
  • Kinder Joy Super Mario products are now available.
  • The LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System set is now available exclusively at LEGO stores and the Nintendo Official UK Store, with multiple LEGO Super Mario sets now available at retailers worldwide, including the Adventures with Mario Starter Course.

To keep up-to-date with the latest Super Mario news, check out the official Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary website and official Super Mario UK Twitter account.

In a new video presentation released today, Nintendo detailed several games, products and in-game events that are all arriving for the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., including Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, Super Mario Bros. 35 and more.

Related videos:

Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct – 03.09.2020

https://youtu.be/TFbES4ultTA

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is coming September 18th! (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtu.be/5QfFyDwf6iY

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit – Coming October 16th!  (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtu.be/hkVQM9ZD-KY

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury comes to Nintendo Switch on February 12th, 2021!

https://youtu.be/5-EPbtEG5Hk

Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. – coming November 13th!

https://youtu.be/DOjQcgd2az4

Super Mario Bros. 35 – Available October 1st! (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtu.be/0_YwN8uRQac

Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary – Super Mario Bros. Medley

https://youtu.be/EFTf5-U1LwY

• Like 6

Yup! 3D World DX has a whole new game included, just like what the old leak said...

Awesome!

The leaks made it sound like the games were getting remade. Sunshine still had the GameCube controller buttons icons. Little disappointed but getting regardless. 

The Game and Watch is cool and Mario 35 sounds insane. 

Just now, drahkon said:

Somebody explain the "limited-time availability" shenanigans to me, please.

Game will be gone after a certain date.

Probably after March next year.

Edited by Glen-i

Just now, Glen-i said:

Game will be gone after a certain date.

Probably after March next year.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Yup.

Edit: Twitter seems to be down. :laughing:

Weird that it'll only be available for a limited time. To increase demand? Why?!

And where's Galaxy 2? A later release as DLC to All Stars? 

(will be getting All Stars despite these weird shenanigans!) 

Edited by Mr-Paul

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

The leaks made it sound like the games were getting remade. Sunshine still had the GameCube controller buttons icons. Little disappointed but getting regardless. 

But Mario 64 had a Press + icon.

@Dcubed said that this might mean Mario Sunshine has proper GameCube control support and I'm inclined to believe him. (Especially as analog triggers feature heavily there)

Edited by Glen-i

Just now, Mr-Paul said:

Weird that it'll only be available for a limited time. To increase demand? Why?!

It's what Nintendo always does. Capitalize on the "fear of missing out" concept.

They should get some serious flack for this shit.

• Haha 1

I think the limited availability is in reference to the physical release, the digital version will still be available after March.

It was a joyous direct, I will definitely be getting 3D All-Stars (pre ordering as soon as it goes up on the Nintendo site) and the 3D World port. Very tempted by the Game + Watch but I don't think I've got the space to be able to play the Mario Kart Live thing properly - they'll be bumping into stuff all the time!

It's what Nintendo always does. Capitalize on the "fear of missing out" concept.

I agree, but let's face it. Mainline Mario is never going down in price, so if you want it, there's no point in waiting.

Just now, killthenet said:

I think the limited availability is in reference to the physical release, the digital version will still be available after March.

Doesn't sound like it:

23 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The packaged version software is a limited-time only production, and the digital version will be a limited-time only release until the end of March 2021

• Haha 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

I agree, but let's face it. Mainline Mario is never going down in price, so if you want it, there's no point in waiting.

No no, that's not the point here.

You won't be able to actually buy a copy afterwards...didn't get one? Tough luck.

• Haha 1

Those Mario Kart toys with an AR camera on the front look awesome.

I am very happy to see Super Mario 3D World has new stuff added. I feared they would just add one extra character to play as like they did with Tropical Freeze, so now I will probably buy it when its released.

I'm a little disappointed with the 3D collection. They seem to just seem to be high rez and i don't like that they are only available for a limited amount f time

• Like 1

Yep. I get the 'create FOMO' tactic. But surely they're leaving money on the table by making it only available for six months. Make the physical copy a limited edition, whatever, but surely you can continue selling it and raking in the money on digital?

Unless their plan is to start selling them individually then. 

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

But Mario 64 had a Press + icon.

@Dcubed said that this might mean Mario Sunshine has proper GameCube control support and I'm inclined to believe him.

I mean sure, it crossed my mind but seems odd that's what they showed to me (assuming the icons change based on the control method), they were pretty insistent it was just for Smash I felt and they didn't say it was played with a GameCube controller. Does using the GC controller keep the analogue shoulder button functions?

Just now, Mr-Paul said:

Make the physical copy a limited edition, whatever, but surely you can continue selling it and raking in the money on digital?

Yeah, limited physical production...I can take it or live it.

But a limited digital release? If that's really what they're going for then that's one of the stupidest and most anti-consumer things I've seen in this day and age.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

I mean sure, it crossed my mind but seems odd that's what they showed to me (assuming the icons change based on the control method), they were pretty insistent it was just for Smash I felt and they didn't say it was played with a GameCube controller. Does using the GC controller keep the analogue shoulder button functions?

Yes, but only in Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's the only Switch title that has proper support for the controller.

EDIT: @Dcubed informs me that this isn't the case. So no, no proper support there. Now I'm a little less intrigued.

Edited by Glen-i

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Doesn't sound like it:

That's a bummer then.

@Mr-Paul is probably right, they'll start selling them for £25 each on the eShop in April.

Well that game requires an internet service in the back end. I think it's just Nintendo admitting they don't want to continue supporting it up front.

Wait, are we talking about Super Mario Bros. 35 here?

Just now, Ashley said:

Well that game requires an internet service in the back end. I think it's just Nintendo admitting they don't want to continue supporting it up front.

Both Mario 3D All-Stars and SMB 35 seem to be limited availability.

Just now, Ashley said:

No, Super Mario 3D All-Stars.

Just checked on Nintendo.de.

*Super Mario 3D All-Stars kann zwar nur bis zum 31.03.2021 gekauft werden. Allerdings können Besitzer der Software alle Spieleinhalte auch nach diesem Datum frei spielen bzw. die Spielinhalte aus dem Nintendo eShop erneut herunterladen, sollte die Software archiviert worden sein.

Roughly translates to:

Super Mario 3D All-Stars can only be bought until the 31st of March 2021. However, owners of the software can play all content after the date, or download all content from the eShop, if the software has been archived.

:nono:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ike said:

The Game and Watch is cool and Mario 35 sounds insane. 

Yeah, that obviously means that Sunshine has full GCN controller support.  Nice! Sunshine really benefits from the GCN’s analog triggers/ digital click, so it’s nice that it’s still in :D 

Sign in to follow this