NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Xbox Game Pass (Console & PC)

Yakuza 7 was a next gen timed exclusive. IIRC, it released the same day as the current gen versions. I played it on the PS4 where the rest of the series was. It's not really exclusive when it's on other systems, regardless of the power of them. 

I'll give you PSO2, a game which I was contemplating picking an Xbox up just to play. After reading impressions from original PSO fans it seems like a dodged a bullet with that one. :p 

I agree they are making strides with Japanese relations but it's still not enough to sway me to buy their console, especially when their main focus seems to be a rental service. 

Get FF, Tales, DQ or the next Yakuza game exclusive to the console and then we'll talk.

All those games I mentioned (aside from DQ11s) are exclusive to Xbox (or in the case of Yakuza LAD; hit the XBox first).  And they're now getting most of the big heavy hitting Japanese games at the same time as PS4/5 (not quite everything yet, but it's a big step forward regardless). You definitely wouldn't have seen that even just a couple of years ago; let alone back at the start of the previous generation.

Yakuza LAD didn't hit Xbox first, it released on Sony and Microsoft consoles on the same day (just the marketing wouldn't have you think that). It's just that a dedicated PS5 upgrade took a few months to come. Either way, you don't see Microsoft bringing as many new Japanese games to fruition as you do Sony. Microsoft have never had their own equivalent of Persona or Tales, or anything like what Studio Japan (RIP) put out. And now they won't be getting FF16 for a while either.

You're saying they're better than years ago but in some ways they've regressed. There was a time they actually had some proper Japanese exclusives on 360 like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata (the latter eventually went to PS3). How many exclusive full scale Japanese games have they brought to us in the past few years?

7 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Yakuza LAD didn't hit Xbox first, it released on Sony and Microsoft consoles on the same day (just the marketing wouldn't have you think that). It's just that a dedicated PS5 upgrade took a few months to come. Either way, you don't see Microsoft bringing as many new Japanese games to fruition as you do Sony. Microsoft have never had their own equivalent of Persona or Tales, or anything like what Studio Japan (RIP) put out. And now they won't be getting FF16 for a while either.

You're saying they're better than years ago but in some ways they've regressed. There was a time they actually had some proper Japanese exclusives on 360 like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata (the latter eventually went to PS3). How many exclusive full scale Japanese games have they brought to us in the past few years?

No.  They’re not at the same level as they were with the Xbox 360’s Japanese support... yet.  They’re already leaps & bounds ahead of where they were throughout the majority of the Xbone’s early to mid lifespan though.

The point isn’t that they’re suddenly better than Sony with their Japanese support; the point is that they’ve made huge strides forward in the past couple of years and that things are looking good for their future Japanese dev support.  They are actually getting most of the major AAA Japanese games released on their consoles now, and usually on the same day as Playstation (barring Altus’ and some of Atlus’ and some of S-E’s games that Sony have specifically bought exclusivity for); though they still need to improve with the more niche games like Guilty Gear Strive, Neo The World Ends With You etc.  They’re even starting to get some pretty nice exclusives, be they timed or permanent.

Credit where credit is due I say.

Edited by Dcubed

Another point to consider with Xbox’s Japanese support is the domestic market factor... long a point of contention with Japanese developers that is very quickly becoming much less of an issue and blocking factor.

Playstation has very quickly slipped into near total irrelevancy in the domestic Japanese market; to the point where Playstation has basically cut off almost its entire internal Japanese 1st party development studios (only two studios remain now, compared to Microsoft’s one), and where PS5 software sales are so weak that they can’t even crack the Top 30 on release date.

Playstation might as well be Xbox right now when it comes to the domestic market; and amongst those who continue to stubbornly refuse to support Nintendo (be it due to personal grudges, loyalty to Sony or what have you), your only realistic option is to focus on the international market; where it really doesn’t make much sense to make your game Playstation exclusive unless Sony are directly moneyhatting you.

All of these factors play into Xbox’s increased share of third party Japanese games and this is only going to increase going forward.  It ain’t 2013 anymore, that’s for sure!

To be honest, I can’t see a future where a lot of 3rd party games, Japanese or otherwise, are exclusive to any consoles. The cost of developing games needs to be recouped and having it on as many different platforms is the only way to do this. We’ve already seen this happen during this generation, where full exclusives have now become only timed exclusives. Heck, even Nintendo, who I’ve long suspected also played the moneyhatting game, is having to pay Capcom just to keep Monster Hunter Rise a timed exclusive. 

I’d love to know if a deal has been made or whether it’s down to loyalty when it comes Atlus and the Persona series. Just seems like a no brainier to port the series to other systems now that it’s been out for a while, especially given the success of P4G on PC last year. Still, having such exclusives makes your platform more attractive.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

To be honest, I can’t see a future where a lot of 3rd party games, Japanese or otherwise, are exclusive to any consoles.

Absolutely.

However, Microsoft has a lot of spending power (I assume). Wouldn't be surprised if they bought more and more games/devs...I dread the day we get another announcement like the Bethesda acquisition...

Edited by drahkon
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, drahkon said:

Absolutely.

However, Microsoft has a lot of spending power (I assume). Wouldn't be surprised if they bought more and more games/devs...I dread the day we get another announcement like the Bethesda acquisition...

I can’t see that happening with a Japanese publisher/developer though.  There are huge governmental, structural & legal barriers in place that are specifically designed to block foreign companies from buying Japanese ones (The idea of Keiretsu in particular is a big blocking factor).

It’s not absolutely 100% impossible to overcome, but it’s very unlikely to happen.

Outriders, the new game from People Can Fly and published by Square Enix, is coming to Gamepass day 1 on April 1st

Played the demo on my PS5 and enjoyed what was there. Its maybe a bit generic but it not being a GAAS title and all content being there from the start is a big plus, curious to see how it expands beyond the opening and to see what they do with that world. Probably picking it up on PS5 but still cool that it'll be available day 1 on Gamepass for others.

Also coming later this month, Genesis Noir:

Been waiting for this since it was on Kickstarter. Looking forward to playing it when it hits on March 26th.

Not a bad couple of weeks for Gamepass with these and woth Narita Boy on March 30th, on top of the Bethesda titles.

HOLY SHIT!!

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/16/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-march-2021-wave-2/

TW_Available-Today_Coming-Soon_templates

Undertale (Console + PC + Cloud)- Available Now
Empire of Sin (Console + PC + Cloud) - March 18
Nier: Automata (PC) - March 18
Star Wars: Squadrons (Console) - March 18
Torchlight III (PC) - March 18
Genesis Noir (Console + PC) - March 25
Octopath Traveler (Console + PC) - March 25
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Ultimate Edition (PC) - March 25
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (Console + PC + Cloud) – March 25
Supraland (PC) - March 25
Narity Boy (Console + PC + Cloud) - March 30
Outriders (Console + Cloud) - April 1

OCTAPATH TRAVELLER ON XBOX!?!?

• Thanks 1

Definitely looking forward to checking out Yakuza 6 on PC, performance on the standard PS4 (where I played it) was pretty nasty.

Man, Game Pass continues to be awesome. :cool: My current sub is over at the end of the month (when I'll be turning my attention to MH Rise ;)) but needless to say... I'll be back! :hehe:

My Game Pass expired a few days ago, I think Microsoft are purposefully picking kinds of games I have no interest in.

Best game I've played in the last three months: Moving Out. 

Man, I've been enjoying my PS5 but I might have to plug my Xbox One X back in for Yakuza! 3-5 joined Game Pass last month, and with 6 now being added, that's 4 new games for me to play though!

Yakuza 6 has arrived! :yay: 

Played through the first chapter and man does this game look and run amazing on PC! :cool:

Definitely going to be replaying the entire game at some point.

• Like 1

Sony's MLB The Show 21 is coming to Game Pass Day 1 (console/cloud)

One interesting thing: since the Xbox Series S/X came out, this will be the first new game made by one of the console 1st party studios to be released on Xbox. 

Wow!! That's insane!!

Sony can't bring their own first party games to PSNow Day 1, but they can bring it to Xbox Game Pass!? That's hilarious :laughing:

Meanwhile, Playstation owners have to cough up $70 for this game!

I'm sure that MLB were the ones to make the deal, without Sony's need for approval, but wow! Talk about absolutely humiliating Playstation here!

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Wow!! That's insane!!

Sony can't bring their own first party games to PSNow Day 1, but they can bring it to Xbox Game Pass!? That's hilarious :laughing:

Meanwhile, Playstation owners have to cough up $70 for this game!

I'm sure that MLB were the ones to make the deal, without Sony's need for approval, but wow! Talk about absolutely humiliating Playstation here!

Good God, what a colossal embarrassment. However will Sony recover from having one of their top tier games making money elsewhere? Everyone at Sony should surely be fired for this humiliating embarrassment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don’t expect Resident Evil 8 to come to Game Pass until 1 year after its release date... Sony have paid Capcom to block RE8 from coming to Gamepass for 1 year...

Wonder how many games Sony is going to pay to have blocked from being added to Gamepass now...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Don’t expect Resident Evil 8 to come to Game Pass until 1 year after its release date... Sony have paid Capcom to block RE8 from coming to Gamepass for 1 year...

Wonder how many games Sony is going to pay to have blocked from being added to Gamepass now...

Considering that it would make all of zero business sense for Capcom to put it on there anytime soon anyways (unless alternatively Xbox showed up with five truckloads of green and dumped it outside of Capcom), this is quite a brilliant move from Capcom.  PlayStation are the ones who look bad if anyone does here, they wouldn't have brought it to Game Pass in the next six months at least anyways and are getting paid now to not do so, and it doesn't exactly hurt their relationship with Xbox. Win-win for them. 

Although, I would assume this is simply a stipulation of their exclusive marketing deal and nothing more, and with that in mind I can't really blame them. It wouldn't exactly be a worthwhile deal from PlayStation's perspective if by Christmas you could get the game "free" as part of Game Pass. 

This is much better than what they apparently did with Monster Hunter World (if I'm remembering right, supposedly blocking cross-platform multiplayer, delaying the PC version of the game, and having similar agreements in place for Iceborne) and to a lesser extent I suppose even Monster Hunter Rise. And goodness knows what's going on with Final Fantasy VII Remake, but it doesn't look like that's making it to Game Pass for a good while more either. 

(EDIT: as H-o-T mentions on the next page, what I thought I was remembering about Monster Hunter World's deal turned out to be hot garbage. My bad!)

Edited by Julius

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Already been debunked, just a standard agreement. Just another day of people wanting to be outraged at Sony for something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I can’t say I would have expected RE 8 to come to GamePass anyway. 
Some of the newer REMakes haven’t even made GP so this isn’t really a surprise. 

Bit of a shame if there were plans to bring it to GP though...

Sign in to follow this