NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Xbox Game Pass (Console & PC)

I saw @RedShell's post in the Your 2020 Gaming Diary and figured it would make sense to have a thread about GamesPass, and a discussion about some of the games (not all games need their own thread, and I've never been sure about putting it into the Xbox One or PC threads). 

I'm likely going to be a on-and-off subscriber to games pass and, while there have been quite a few games I've enjoyed, I've yet to encounter a game I love on it yet (hopefully that will change at some point).

• Like 2

For me it's mostly used for smaller titles. The Switch used to be the indie machine of choice for obvious reasons but since Game Pass I've been holding out and just playing them there.

GamePass is a really great concept and I think it shows why any talk of their being a console 'war' is just obsolete thinking. For Microsoft to get a guaranteed payment from me of £10.99 a month is actually pretty darn good for them; even in months where I don't play a new game they are going to be making money off of me. I'm not quite sure on how much money they make from it but it certainly seems to be working for both them and developers.

I do wish they had Sony's AAA line-up, but they've got enough exclusive software (and decent third party offerings) that it's worth it.

• Like 1

As someone that very rarely replays games anymore, these kind of subscription services are becoming increasingly appealing. I think one of the best things about them is how you can get introduced to new types of games that you wouldn’t normally play. 

I’ve not been subscribed to Game Pass for very long, but so far I’ve been incredibly impressed with both the quantity and quality of titles available on it. The only problem is deciding what to play when there is so much choice! :laughing: 

How often do new games get added? Not that I need anything else to play right now :hehe: but just to have a better understanding of how it all works. I wasn’t even aware that Microsoft’s own titles are permanently available before today. :blush:

11 minutes ago, RedShell said:

How often do new games get added? Not that I need anything else to play right now :hehe: but just to have a better understanding of how it all works. I wasn’t even aware that Microsoft’s own titles are permanently available before today. :blush:

They'll generally give a schedule each month, some games are just for PC, some just for console, some . For September: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/01/xbox-game-pass-coming-soon-september-2020/

Today:

• Crusader Kings III (PC) 

3rd September:

• Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (Console & PC) 
  • Tell Me Why: Chapter Two (Console & PC) 
  • Touhou Luna Nights (Console & PC)
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (Console)
  • World War Z (PC)

8th September:

• Tell Me Why: Chapter Three (Console & PC)
  • Hotshot Racing (Console)
  • Disgaea 4 Complete+ (PC) 

Soon in September:

• Destiny 2: Shadowkeep & Forsaken (Console)

15th October:

• Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition (PC) 
Spoiler

Yesterday:

• NBA 2K20 (Console)

7th September

• Red Dead Redemption 2 (Console)

15th September

• Gonner: Blueberry Edition (Console & PC)
  • Jump Force (Console)

All Microsoft published games will be available on launch day.

I'll try an make a post formatted like this when they announce a new list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Resident Evil 7 tomorrow?! Sweet! :cool: Never did get around to picking it up, so that’ll definitely be getting played. :grin:

It really has been a fantastic couple of weeks for Gamepass. In the last few weeks we've had Wastelands 3, Tell Me Why, Battletoads, Hypnospace Outlaw, Spiritfarer, Drake Hollow and Undermine as new releases. Such a great variety of newer indie and bigger budget games.

Undermine really has been a stand out for me as I'm not a massive fan of rogue likes but with this being of mix of ghat and a dungeon crawler, it's been great to play through. Some might see it as a bit more simplistic than some of its contemporaries but I love it. Don't sleep on this one if you like rogue likes or dungeon crawlers as its great (its coming to Switch also for those wanting it on the go).

Haven't put much time into Spiritfarer but what I've played so far has been great. To get that day one on Gamepass is just insane and I do feel guilty playing it through that (I'm probably going to buy it myself down the line as I was intending to anyway before it came to Gamepass) but its just a beautiful game. Definitely looking forward to delving into it more, even if I know its going to be a tear jerker.

I've only just made a start both Wasteland 3 and Tell Me Why but both are great out of the gate. Even with a slight latency between pushing the left stick and movement in Wasteland 3, its definitely scratching that RPG itch I've got and it looks fantastic even on a base Xbox One. I've never played the franchise before but its clear there's been a major step up in the production department. Plays extremely well and very intrigued to get stuck in more. And Tell Me Why just shows Dontnod doing what they do best, strong narrative games with well written characters and heartfelt narrative. They've clearly done a lot of work on their engine as well as its a marked improvement visually over Life is Strange 2.

I've got all those games downloaded and ready to go on my Xbox One (apart from Battletoads which I've finished and thought it was OK, not great, bit meandering at times and definitely tries to go to wide with some ideas) and thats before I counter in all the other stuff I've bought and have sitting waiting to play. There's been months where I haven't played much on Gamepass but August has been a fantastic month for the service and if that's a quality level they can keep up with indies and bigger releases, I'm going to be a very happy gamer for the rest of the year, even if my backlog will be huge.

I've always thought it was a worthwhile subscription (been using it since May last year when I got an Xbox One again) but as I say, the last few weeks have been exceptionally strong for the service even just on consoles. I'm on Ultimate so can access the PC side but don't have the rig but even then, if I did I'd be drowning in releases what with the likes of Microsoft Flight Simulator and the forthcoming Age of Empires 3 remaster.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

Put a couple of hours into Resi 7. Holy shit! I was not prepared for that. :laughing: Absolutely brutal.

Loving the return to traditional RE horror vibes though, it's impressive how well it all works from a first-person perspective too. :cool:

• Like 2

Tell Me Why chapter 2 was also really good, back to Super Lucky's Tale.
I don't know, I haven't played it. Why don't you tell us instead?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finished New Super Lucky's Tale. While it all feels derivative of other platformers and doesn't really do anything new, what it for do is really good. 

Very entertaining to play though and to collect everything. It does bring level styles from different platformers together, so you get a bit of 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Spyro, Modern Sonic, so there is variety.

• Like 3

So, just to make things clear for me, do you install the games you want through Game Pass, or is it a streaming service where the games are played online? Because if you install it locally, I think I'll get it right away. 

I had a look through the list of games, and the library is crazy good! 

Edited by ArtMediocre
Autocorrect

40 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

So, just to make things clear for me, do you install the games you want through Game Pass, or is it a streaming service where the games are played online? Because if you install it locally, I think I'll get it right away. 

I had a look through the list of games, and the library is crazy good! 

Install locally

• Like 1

They're really upping the Game Pass to sell Xbox Series S, aren't they? This is great news though, a lot of good titles is available at EA Play. Really increasing the value of this already incredible deal.

Titanfall 2 is an amazing singleplayer game, I definitely recommend it if you haven't played it.

A Way Out is also a great 2 player game.

Game Pass will be doubling in price on PC.

I may subscribe one month a year now, depending on big games. 

35 minutes ago, Cube said:

It was an introductory price thats been running for the best part of a year so seems reasonable enough. They were pretty upfront with it being an introductory price to so shouldn't be too much of a shock.

Though I do wonder how this will affect those only subbing to the PC version of Gamepass. Its always had a smaller library of titles and apart from Microsoft Flight Simulator, which is a niche title at best, there hasn't really been many big releases on Gamepass for PC. Those hooked in on the introductory price may well see that the increase doesn't make it worth it in the end which is understandable especially for the smaller library size.

In the end, Ultimate is still the best value for money of the Gamepass subs if you have a console and PC and want to make use of XCloud (which from my experience running it, it runs extremely well on my Samsung Galaxy S9. Ori and the Will of the Wisps ran far better through XCloud than it did on my One thats for sure).

I do imagine we'll perhaps see some tightening of the £1 Gamepass sub following this with the Series X/S on the horizon to help bring some money as that loophole has ubdoubtedly lost them a ton of money from subs (even though I do suspect they're ok with it as Xbox Live Gold costs very little to run from what I gather compared to Gamepass so all those 12 month Gold cards people were buying up will have posted some money in Microsoft's pocket somewhere along the line).

21 hours ago, Map said:

Ea Play coming to  Gamepass for no additional cost.

1 hour ago, Cube said:

Hmm... :heh: 

1 hour ago, Cube said:

Yeah, I’ll probably keep it a while longer just because there’s still quite a lot of stuff that I haven’t got around to playing yet, plus I’m hooked on Sea of Thieves. :hehe: But doubling the price (despite still being a good deal) will definitely make me consider my subscription more carefully going forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sea of Thieves has come such a long way, I loved the base game mechanics, the music, the Rare charm (which they somehow retained despite being a completely different team and generation) but the game itself has come so far, and all with no additional cost for DLC etc (except if you want those Banjo themes for you ship...) it's such a great game now for Xbox, absolutely love it ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess this belongs here more than the Series X thread?

XGP_Announce_16x9_CL_s_Final_JPG.jpg?w=1

Over 150 games will be available through Cloud Gaming when Xbox Game Pass Ultimate beta launches on Android tomorrow

Spoiler
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Absolver
  • Afterparty
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • ARK: Survival Evolved
  • Astroneer
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battletoads
  • Battle Chasers: Nightwar
  • Black Desert
  • Blair Witch
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Bridge Constructor Portal
  • Carrion
  • Children of Morta
  • ClusterTruck
  • Crackdown 3: Campaign
  • Crosscode
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Darksiders III
  • DayZ
  • de Blob
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Dead Cells
  • Dead Island Definitive Edition
  • Death Squared
  • Deliver us the moon
  • Demon’s Tilt
  • Descenders
  • Destiny 2: Shadowkeep & Forsaken expansion (September 22)
  • DiRT 4
  • Don’t Starve
  • Double Kick Heroes
  • Drake Hollow
  • Dungeon of the Endless
  • Enter The Gungeon
  • F1 2019
  • Fallout 76
  • Farming Simulator 17
  • Felix the Reaper
  • Fishing Sim World: Pro Tour
  • For the King
  • Forager
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Fractured Minds
  • Frostpunk: Console Edition
  • Gato Roboto
  • Gears of War 1: Ultimate Edition
  • Gears of War 4
  • Gears of War 5
  • Goat Simulator
  • Golf with Your Friends
  • Grounded
  • Guacamelee! 2
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 1: Definitive Edition
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Hello Neighbor
  • Hollow Knight (Renewal)
  • Hot Shot Racing
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Hyperdot
  • Hypnospace Outlaw
  • Indivisible
  • Journey to the Savage Planet
  • Katana ZERO (Coming soon)
  • Killer Instinct DE
  • Kona
  • Levelhead
  • Lonely Mountains: Downhill
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War
  • Minecraft: Dungeons
  • MINIT
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  • Moonlighter
  • Mortal Kombat X (Not available in Korea)
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Moving Out
  • Mudrunner
  • Munchkin: Quacked Quest
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  • My Time At Portia
  • Neon Abyss
  • New Super Lucky’s Tale
  • NieR:Automata
  • Night Call
  • Night in the Woods (Coming soon)
  • No Man’s Sky
  • Nowhere Prophet
  • Observation
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Overcooked! 2
  • Oxenfree
  • Pathologic 2
  • Pikuniku
  • Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
  • ReCore: Definitive Edition
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
  • Rise & Shine
  • River City Girls (Coming soon)
  • Sea of Thieves: Anniversary Edition
  • Sea Salt
  • Secret Neighbor
  • Shadow Warrior 2
  • Slay the Spire
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Spiritfarer
  • State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stranger Things 3: The Game
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Streets of Rogue
  • Subnautica
  • Surviving Mars
  • Tacoma
  • Tell Me Why Episode 1 – 3
  • Terraria
  • The Bard’s Tale IV: Directors Cut
  • The Bard’s Tale Remastered and Resnarkled
  • The Bard’s Tale Trilogy
  • The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics
  • The Elder Scrolls Online
  • The Gardens Between
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 4
  • The Long Dark
  • The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game
  • The Messenger
  • The Outer Worlds
  • The Surge 2
  • The Touryst
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • The Escapists 2
  • The Talos Principle
  • The Turing Test
  • The Walking Dead: A New Frontier – Episode 1 through 5
  • The Walking Dead: Michonne – Episode 1 – 3
  • The Walking Dead: Season Two
  • theHunter: Call of the Wild
  • Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
  • Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
  • Totally Reliable Delivery Service
  • Touhou Luna Nights
  • Tracks – The Train Set Game
  • Trailmakers
  • Train Sim World 2020
  • Two Point Hospital
  • Undermine
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Void Bastards
  • Wandersong
  • Warhammer Vermintide 2 (Coming soon)
  • Wasteland Remastered
  • Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut
  • Wasteland 3
  • We Happy Few
  • West of Dead
  • Wizard of Legend
  • World War Z
  • Worms W.M.D
  • Xeno Crisis
  • Yakuza 0
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2

I'm just saying, with Yakuza now available on the go, there can be no more excuses :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

As it’s my last day of Game Pass sub I figured I would try xcloud on my phone. Went with Halo Reach. For the most part the video seemed ok, bit of artifacting here and there but not too distracting. The audio however wasn’t great, lot of crackling. I was a lot more impressed with Google Stadia when I tested that.

Have to say, with next-gen prices now rising to £70/$80; Gamepass' value has just risen even more!

Glad I got in while the deal was still going on! :D 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this