NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Gamescom: Opening Night Live (27th August 2020 @ 19:00 BST/ 20:00 CET / 14:00 Eastern / 11:00 Pacific)

Figured as this is going to be the final hurrah for the COVID-19-induced Summer of Gaming, it warranted it's own thread for the main show - which is tonight!

Kyle Bosman will also be hosting a pre-show which starts half an hour before the main event. 

So, how's everyone feeling going into Gamescom? Maybe it's just me but my expectations feel tempered by still not knowing much about the next gen consoles, and I'm not expecting many Japanese games to turn up here, what with Tokyo Game Show's digital event next month and the potential for another PlayStation event prior to/at launch. I'm expecting the already announced big boys like Call of Duty, fully expecting EA to show up in some capacity with a remaster or an EA Sports demo drop, and a slow of AA games. Think it will be a great time nonetheless!

Oh, and obligatory Gamescom tune (skip to 08:19 in the event the link is broken):

6 hours ago, Julius said:

So, how's everyone feeling going into Gamescom?

I was interested in the opening show but now we already know about a gazillion games that will be shown...why not keep it under wraps?

Anyways, will catch up on the news later tonight as I'm busy.

I'm looking forward to it. Seems like they've got a better spread of titles this year compared to last, presumably as a result of E3 being cancelled and the Summer Games Fest not really bringing as many big games to the table.

Not sure if I'll catch it live or have twitter refreshing in the background But looking forward to seeing Little Nightmares 2 for the first time in action. I'm still not sure they'll hit their 2020 date but I hope there's a date at the end of the trailer for this year as it's something that could easily do well at the end of the year especially of it launches on the next gen consoles at launch.

Though perhaps the biggest thing I'm hyped to see is the return of Turrican. I have fond memories of playing that on an Atari ST and the Megadrive game and can't wait to see what they do with it. Hopefully they stick to 2D but as long as it looks like Turrican, sounds like Turrican and plays like it then I'm all in, especially if it comes to consoles. 2020 has been such a weird year and to see Turrican, one of the most unlikely IPs to return, return is about right for the year but bring it on.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I'm so bored. This is all terrible.

Yep, caught myself drifting off for a moment there. I mean, what was with that WoW: Shadowlands animated short? It was so long! 

Not very well paced at all at the moment. Hopefully the Ratchet demo turns up soon...

Yeah, this is.... not gonna be fun, is it :p I'm switching between Call of Duty and watching, and I'm a lot more on CoD.

Crash appears. Man with beard talks about Crash. No Crash footage is shown.

What the fuck am I watching?!

Just now, Julius said:

I mean, what was with that WoW: Shadowlands animated short? It was so long!

I think using the words "animated" and "short" are giving that too much credit :p

• Haha 1

Some kind of furry show?

Edit: I hope there will be some VR reveals, but I think it'll just be these kind of FPS multiplayer games that we've seen up until now..

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Haha 1

Little Nightmares 2 looks fantastic. Shame its slipped to 2021 but still, releasing February 11th means it should have some space to breathe.

Thought that Teardown looked cool. Liked the idea of setting up a heist and then trying to execute it. Perfect for speedrunning and hopefully with an editor, setting challenges and the likes for friends could give the game some long legs. Interested to see more though.

Other than that, its been a little slow so far. But then last year's event was also like this.

Edit: Oh, 12 Minutes with Willem Dafoe, James McAvoy and Daisy Ridley? Hell yeah. Wish there had been a release date but still, excited for that.

Shame they've followed it up with more Godfall. Is anyone sold on this yet? It really doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by Ganepark32

Star Wars can go into hibernation. 15 years should do it. Look up "overdone" and you'll find it there. 

"Even more Star Wars to come later". 

:shakehead

I really liked the look of Godfall, even though we only got like 15 seconds sneak peak. That was a terrible reveal though, I struggled to remember what it was called after having watched it. 

Ooookay, when Jeff told me it was another hour to go, I closed the window. This was a chore, and I'd rather clean my apartment. I'll be back in an hour to read if there was any good reveals/demos. Enjoy the show :p

LEGO Star Wars using the music from the last trailer for The Rise of Skywalker has got me so hyped. 

Trailer of the show for me so far. I am so in. 

Tell Me Why...

(Ain't Nothing But A Heeeeeeeeeart Acheeeee)

Teeeelll Me Whyyyyyyy

Best game title ever.

• Haha 1

A WW2 game! We've never had these before.

What must the Germans think?
"Look lads, it's another game where we're the bad guys!"

"Guess they still hate us, Ulrich."

12 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

A WW2 game! We've never had these before.

What must the Germans think?
"Look lads, it's another game where we're the bad guys!"

"Guess they still hate us, Ulrich."

Well, I guess we now know why it's not located in Germany this year :p

• Haha 1

Ratchet and Clank is one of the few games shown that looks like it has a personality. Hyped for this.

It does look good, yeah. I've never played any of the games (never owned a PS-console so that's why). 

Spellbreak looks good and is a great concept but I don't do MOBA.

Edited by MindFreak

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It does look good, yeah. I've never played any of the games (never owned a PS-console so that's why). 

Spellbreak looks good and is a great concept but I don't do MOBA.

Spellbreak had me with the graphics and style, and then lost me when I learned it was a MOBA. 

• Like 1

Ratchet & Clank looked fantastic, love the sound of what they're doing with the DualSense's unique functions such as with their adaptive trigger example, sounds interesting! 

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga probably had my favourite trailer (stealing the Ep IX trailer music!), felt like a lot of care went into that game, and it looks like so much fun. 

The Star Wars: Squadrons single player trailer was also pretty good, loved the propaganda at the start. 

Other than that...the show didn't really live up to my expectations, which were already low going in. Still on the fence with Mafia: Definitive Edition after how the recent remasters were handled, and not much else really grabbed me that comes to mind right now. It wasn't very well paced, and I found myself nodding off about halfway through. 

Honestly, think I'm just ready for the next gen marketing to kick in and get my pre-order in at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Julius said:

Ratchet & Clank looked fantastic, love the sound of what they're doing with the DualSense's unique functions such as with their adaptive trigger example, sounds interesting! 

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga probably had my favourite trailer (stealing the Ep IX trailer music!), felt like a lot of care went into that game, and it looks like so much fun. 

The Star Wars: Squadrons single player trailer was also pretty good, loved the propaganda at the start. 

Other than that...the show didn't really live up to my expectations, which were already low going in. Still on the fence with Mafia: Definitive Edition after how the recent remasters were handled, and not much else really grabbed me that comes to mind right now. It wasn't very well paced, and I found myself nodding off about halfway through. 

Honestly, think I'm just ready for the next gen marketing to kick in and get my pre-order in at this point. 

I thought Mafia looked like good fun, although it looked a bit choppy? Can't tell if that's the live stream or internet connection, but it looked like it had a few framerate issues. Aside from that, thought it looked like a nice game.

Ratchet & Clank was the most interesting thing for me, by far. Graphically and stylistically, I thought a lot of these games looked the same. Dark, boring, moody colour palettes and no real charm to many of the games. Ratchet & Clank instantly stood out as it had some colour and artistically it just looked like it had more going for it. 

Sign in to follow this