NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase August 2020

Oh, it's great to see Square Enix finally bring the Final Fantasy Legend games to the Switch.

Absolutely everyone's been asking for them.

No other Final Fantasy games we want re-released. 

ImprobableConcreteAtlasmoth-small.gif

A very tone deaf Partners Showcase, seems about right at the moment and I can see them cashing in some marketing cheques right now.

Jokes aside and in all honesty though, when do people expect the next actual Direct - not Pokémon, and not a Mini (or apparently much worse: a Mini Partners Showcase) - to land? Because, if I'm remembering right, we haven't had one since the start of September last year when Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition was announced, have we? 

Edited by Julius

My expectations were tempered when I saw it was a short partner direct but it still failed to meet them. A new Photo Tetris and the Final Fanti Legend Collection is nice and all but really not for me, hopefully Gamescom brings some more exciting announcements.

content-4-36324-nintendodirectminipartnershowcaseaugust2020roundupbanner.jpg

Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase August 2020 Roundup

All up on the main site, N-Europe's Roundup of the mini presentation.

Full press release and video embed.

The collection of Game Boy Final Fantasy titles looks good, plus Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 was a nice surprise. :smile:

Same time, next month then, Nintendo? :p

Glad we got a Chrystal Chronicles date, interested to see how that's been updated. 

eh, nothing for me really but a nice little update. This actually reminded me of those old CUBE magazine DVD's from the GameCube era you'd get every month, nothing ground breaking but it was nice to know there was a splattering of new things on the way anyway. That said, the indie direct last week was much more impressive I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2's biggest selling point is the possibility of more Schezo.

"The time has come for me to clear my reputation... by assaulting this young girl!"

How this game got away with the rating it got is anyone's guess.

• Haha 2

I think what best sums up this presentation is the fact that World of Tanks isn't even the version on other cobsoles or PC, its the mobile version. I mean if they can't be bothered porting the bigger version over to the Switch that probably tells you what you need to know about some of the developer attitude towards the Switch, that its probably not worth their time. Thats not on Nintendo, obviously, but you would have hoped for some stronger showing from third parties by this point with the Switch selling as well as it is.

I do wonder if the Switch is entering Wii territory where devs don't seem bothered in bringing bigger titles over the further we get into the life cycle as its Nintendo's own first party titles that are selling the most comparatively. There's always seemed a bit of peevishiness from third parties towards Nintendo because their titles don't sell as well but it seems that that's always going to be the case. Weird that there isn't that same sentiment on other platforms. Anyway, side track but I am curious as to where the bigger third part titles are beyond the indies.

There was nothing there for me anyway. Thankfully, I've got my hands full with indie games so I'm sorted (everybody buy A Short Hike!!! Don't let the visuals put you off, its fantastic).

I'm not expecting a general Direct for the rest of the year. Nintendo's plans have clearly been affected by Covid so I'm imagining that if the recent rumours of a more powerful Switch are coming, I wonder if games that would have been announced are being sat on to get that together to push a strong line up for a newer piece of hardware in the wake of next gen consoles.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

I think what best sums up this presentation is the fact that World of Tanks isn't even the version on other cobsoles or PC, its the mobile version. I mean if they can't be bothered porting the bigger version over to the Switch that probably tells you what you need to know about some of the developer attitude towards the Switch, that its probably not worth their time. Thats not on Nintendo, obviously, but you would have hoped for some stronger showing from third parties by this point with the Switch selling as well as it is.

I do wonder if the Switch is entering Wii territory where devs don't seem bothered in bringing bigger titles over the further we get into the life cycle as its Nintendo's own first party titles that are selling the most comparatively. There's always seemed a bit of peevishiness from third parties towards Nintendo because their titles don't sell as well but it seems that that's always going to be the case. Weird that there isn't that same sentiment on other platforms. Anyway, side track but I am curious as to where the bigger third part titles are beyond the indies.

There was nothing there for me anyway. Thankfully, I've got my hands full with indie games so I'm sorted (everybody buy A Short Hike!!! Don't let the visuals put you off, its fantastic).

I'm not expecting a general Direct for the rest of the year. Nintendo's plans have clearly been affected by Covid so I'm imagining that if the recent rumours of a more powerful Switch are coming, I wonder if games that would have been announced are being sat on to get that together to push a strong line up for a newer piece of hardware in the wake of next gen consoles.

I never thought about this but it makes a lot of sense that bigger titles are being delayed for that re-design/beefier switch. At the same time I'm a bit doubtful that anything else does exist, Nintendo always seem to go into hibernation around this period in a consoles life. It reminds me of Wii's 2011 when there was Skyward Sword in December and not much else for the entire year leading up to it.

Is the Switch redesign actually official yet or still just a very likely to happen rumour along with the Mario remakes?

While a real surprise for Nintendo to drop the Mini Direct with no notice, it was probably a sensible idea to avoid any hype and frenzy.

It’s tough as none of the games shown appeal to me, bar the SaGa collection (I’ve only played the first one).  Had these been revealed as part of a main Direct then they would have gotten next to no attention from the wider audience I’d imagine, yet Nintendo want the indie support and this is one way to at least reward those smaller developers who have made games for the Switch (& indeed are saving us during these long waits between big releases).  So for me, I think it’s a good idea that these partner Directs happen, it’s just a shame so few of these games grab my attention.

8 hours ago, Josh64 said:

Is the Switch redesign actually official yet or still just a very likely to happen rumour along with the Mario remakes?

Still a rumour.

Sign in to follow this