NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Indie World showcase : 18 / 08 / 20, 5pm (UK time)

FreedomPlanet2FreedomPlanet2FreedomPlanet2JUSTGIVEMEANUPDATE!

On a more realistic note, I want to see more of Spiritfarer. I'm enamoured with that game.

3 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

FreedomPlanet2FreedomPlanet2FreedomPlanet2JUSTGIVEMEANUPDATE!

Just checked out some trailers.

Is the first game worthwhile?

Interesting timing. There'd normally be an Indie World/Direct around the time of ComicCon which wouldn't have been too far from now if everything was running as normal. So do wonder if this'll be a bit of a bigger Indie showcase.

I'd love news on Silksong but I'm not expecting it. Team Cherry seem to have the axe to the grindstone and are working away at it but I suspect it'll slip to next year just to give them plenty of time to finish everything up with the PC and Switch versions (and I suspect that there will be a want to try and get it out on next gen platforms too).

Other than that, I suspect we'll hear a release date for Röki as the devs have said it'll come late summer.

Cloudpunk is coming to the Switch and physical pre-orders are dated for early October so there might be some announcement/confirmation of that.

Mo:Astray is likewise slated for some point this year for Switch so we might get official confirmation there.

Dicey Dungeons is due so maybe a date for that as well.

Dreamscraper was announced for the Switch wasn't it? Its just gone into early access on PC so there might be some news there.

I'd suspect those are all likely as opposed to Silksong (tho as I say, I'd love to be wrong and have new Silksong info).

With Gamescom next week (Opening Night Live is on the 25th) and this happening this week, I wonder if the oft rumoured Direct set for late summer might happen next week. Not going to go into that but in years previous, around ComicCon, a general Direct always followed an Indie World/Direct the week after. This year is anything but normal but next week would be the right time for the general Direct, especially with all the rumoured of the Mario Remaster Collection and Skyward Sword.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I'd love news on Silksong but I'm not expecting it. Team Cherry seem to have the axe to the grindstone and are working away at it but I suspect it'll slip to next year just to give them plenty of time to finish everything up with the PC and Switch versions (and I suspect that there will be a want to try and get it out on next gen platforms too).

It's hard to know because we've no idea how far into development the game is, but the teaser trailer showed a ton and that was a year and a half ago. I'd say the biggest reason not to see it tomorrow is they might save it for a main Direct. The original game was in Nintendo's main E3 presentation.

8 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I wonder if the oft rumoured Direct set for late summer might happen next week

That's the word on the street, Friday 28th apparently, but as ever take that with a huge pinch of salt. 

Oh nice, completely forgot we'd normally have an Indie World around this time, hopefully have some nice surprises in store. No particular indie games coming to mind right now that I'm looking forward to outside of those mentioned, so hopefully there'll be something new here. 

@Ganepark32 I think ONL is actually on the 27th? Which if anything perhaps would give Nintendo a little more space to do something, if they did want to try squeezing a Direct in next week. 

With this coming tomorrow, DC Fandome this weekend, Gamescom ONL next week and the potential for a Direct to drop whenever Nintendo feels like it, as well as that heavily rumoured PlayStation event, feels like August could be going out with a bang. Hopefully plenty of cool announcements coming up :peace:

23 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Dicey Dungeons is due so maybe a date for that as well.

Only announcement I need.

(I'd take a gazillion rogue-lite announcements, too, though :p)

48 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Sports Story

"We must sadly announce a delay. We want to take some more time to work on Sports Story and ensure that everything makes it into the game.

The game has become rather ambitious and we are excited about how it could turn out. But the price is currently being paid as we try to make our plans into reality. We are eager to reveal the results of these past 2 years so please look forward to future updates."

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I always appreciate when a team - especially an indie team - is upfront about their project's development, and even more so when they're honest about the reason why. And even more so again when the reason why is that they want to pack more into the game and flesh it out a bit more. 

Also feel like that update video is a nice way to whet the appetites of their fans, especially with how they were teasing things, and not be too serious about the game not being out yet. 

• Like 1

content-4-36313-indieworldbanner.jpg

Indie World Showcase to be broadcast on Tuesday 18th August at 5PM UK time

Up on the main page.

We'll have the full roundup article with the press release etc up on the main page shortly after the event airs tomorrow. :smile:

As for personal hopes and expectations? If there's any Streets of Rage 4 dlc announced, I'd be pleasantly surprised. :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Just checked out some trailers.

Is the first game worthwhile?

On one hand, this is a fast-paced platformer, with a similar energy to classic Sonic (and you did say that you didn't like the original trilogy), even if it has a more distinct flavour. On the other hand, there are folk who didn't like Sonic, but liked Freedom Planet (because collision damage is that bothersome for them. FP has attack buttons and mechanics, you see).

There is a demo for FP2, from 2017, and it doesn't feel too different from FP1. Give it a try if you're curious.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jonnas said:

On one hand, this is a fast-paced platformer, with a similar energy to classic Sonic (and you did say that you didn't like the original trilogy), even if it has a more distinct flavour. On the other hand, there are folk who didn't like Sonic, but liked Freedom Planet (because collision damage is that bothersome for them. FP has attack buttons and mechanics, you see).

Interesting. Gonna give the demo a try, thanks :peace:

• Thanks 1

Edit: nvm, wasn't reading. Sports Story delay was already posted.

Edited by Vileplume2000

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

It's hard to know because we've no idea how far into development the game is, but the teaser trailer showed a ton and that was a year and a half ago. I'd say the biggest reason not to see it tomorrow is they might save it for a main Direct. The original game was in Nintendo's main E3 presentation.

That's the word on the street, Friday 28th apparently, but as ever take that with a huge pinch of salt. 

From what I understand, they've slowly been releasing bits of artwork for the game and the composer has put out teasers for some of the music but its all been tucked away as almost ARG style things to find for fans. I know they've said they won't be talking about it again until its nearing release so tomorrow might be a good opportunity but I also think it'll slip into next year just because of the scope of the game their making and with Australia having problems with a rise in Covid cases again.

3 hours ago, Julius said:

Oh nice, completely forgot we'd normally have an Indie World around this time, hopefully have some nice surprises in store. No particular indie games coming to mind right now that I'm looking forward to outside of those mentioned, so hopefully there'll be something new here. 

@Ganepark32 I think ONL is actually on the 27th? Which if anything perhaps would give Nintendo a little more space to do something, if they did want to try squeezing a Direct in next week. 

With this coming tomorrow, DC Fandome this weekend, Gamescom ONL next week and the potential for a Direct to drop whenever Nintendo feels like it, as well as that heavily rumoured PlayStation event, feels like August could be going out with a bang. Hopefully plenty of cool announcements coming up :peace:

Yeah, my mistake. Had to look up on the Sunmer Games Fest page and you're right, it is the 27th. Feels rather drawn out SGF with not a huge amount as part of it but hopefully ONL will be a good end piece to the summer with plenty of next gen game footage (please no more CG or teaser trailers).

I've been reminded of what is a good candidate for a shadow drop tomorrow: Inmost. It was announced as coming last year, is out now on Apple Arcade and the devs are teeing up a release for consoles at the end of the months so a possible appearance and shadow drop tomorrow night.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I also think it'll slip into next year just because of the scope of the game their making and with Australia having problems with a rise in Covid cases again.

I'm hoping with it literally being the work of two guys (+ the composer) Covid shouldn't have much of an impact. Fingers crossed. Still blows my mind such an amazingly crafted game was made by such a small team, similar to Axiom Verge and Stardew Valley I guess.

Oh dang that Spiritfarer shadow drop!

Also love the look of Garden Story, that can't come soon enough. Looks like a jolly time. 

Edited by Julius

Just now, Julius said:

FINALLY A SHORT HIKE! Heck yeah. 

Looking at it I would've sworn it was going to be a 3DS game, it's like Spirit Tracks stretched onto a TV, a game truly gagging to be played handheld

Hades, Spiritfarer and Subnautica out of the gate is awesome, especially with Spiritfarer releasing today.

And A Short Hike finally comes to the Switch. Been a while coming but so happy many more can play the game as its fantastic and easily one of the best from last year. If you're looking for a nice relaxed experience, please play it!

Oh Manifold Garden releasing today as well! This is a great Indie World so far.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

Sign me up for Hades, Torchlight III, Manifold Garden and Grindstone. I'll probably get some of them on PS4 (assuming they also release on that console).

The rest...meh ::shrug:

Edited by drahkon

Pretty good showcase. Some big hitter indie games in there. The Goose Game multiplayer update at the end felt flat compared to everything else, might have put that earlier and changed its place with say Spiritfarer or something.

Still, quite a few things there that I'll pick up for playing handheld on the Switch. Can't wait to play Hades as I love Supergiant Games and the stuff they've put out (though I will admit I thought the announcement was going to be Pyre coming). Others like Haven will be played on either my PS4 or Xbox One.

Doubting that Subnautica will run well on the Switch given the issues that the PS4 version had (and still has) but its a fantastic game and nice to see that the Below Zero is finally coming to consoles

Oh, and buy A Short Hike. It really is a lovely game. Curious what the price will be as it's just over a fiver on both Itch.io and Steam but there is a pretense for games coming to Switch to experience a bump in price.

Edit: A Short Hike is £6.29 so not much of a price increase there.

Also, so close with the Inmost date. I guess with so many other indies releasing today, they felt it better to save it for Friday. Looking forward to trying that one too.

Edited by Ganepark32

Oh shit! I had no idea Manifold Garden was coming to Switch! 

I did the Russian translation for it almost 4 years ago! (My claim to fame in the gaming industry :grin:)

Wanted to buy it on PC but it’s an Epic Store exclusive... :indeed: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Spiritfarer is out now! What!? I wasn't ready!

The presentation also got me interested in Raji, Evergate, and Manifold Garden. All in all, a lot more fruitful than I'm used to, with these things.

Sign in to follow this