NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Gotham Knights (21st October 2022)

Batman is dead. It is now up to the Batman Family - Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin - to protect Gotham City, bring hope to its citizens, discipline to its cops, and fear to its criminals. You must evolve into the new Dark Knight and save Gotham from chaos.

Your legacy begins now. Step into the Knight.

Gameplay walkthrough following the trailer released during DC Fandome:

Get a glimpse of open-world Gotham City where Batgirl and Robin join forces to take on Mr. Freeze in
one of several Villain encounters found within the city. They’ll use a variety of abilities, weapons, and
unique combat moves to neutralize their foes.

Coming to PS5, XB Series X, PC, PS4, and XBO in 2021.

Original post (14/08/20):

EfW49LIU8AI_Kw1?format=jpg&name=medium

WB Montreal are premiering a new game next Saturday, 22nd August, during DC Fandome, at 18:30 BST. 

Gamers! You won’t want to miss this first look at an exciting new game, and Q&A with its developers. 20 min

Okay, let's be honest, it's one of the worst kept secrets in the industry, it's been too long since we've since a game for a particular DC IP, and it was teased towards the end of last year. Eurogamer also had an article in June talking about the registered domains, and with Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League being one and now being confirmed to be real, and Gotham Knights - the rumoured Batman game - the other, it seems all but confirmed. 

It's going to be Batman. 

Edited by Julius

Well, WB Montreal have decided to start teasing things again ahead of this weekend. 

I mean, Batman and Court of Owls seemingly all but confirmed...which is exactly where we were at with all of the teases we got towards the end of last year. Such a weird marketing campaign for this game and how they've teased things in the most uninteresting ways. 

Will be glad to finally see the game on Saturday, if for no other reason than that we can finally be free of this nonsense :p that and, of course, I'm excited for Batman! 

I hope there might be some sort of link between this and the Suicide Squad game, I mean it makes sense in my head but perhaps it's too much wishful thinking.

Either way I'm looking forward to a new Batman game, I've loved all the Arkham Games, even Origins and Knight, so I'll be interested to see if this game is just a continuation of that style from WB Montreal or something new and different...only a few days til we know!

Sees a bit confusing to base it 

Spoiler

on the end of Arkham Knight, with a very similar name

Even though it seems to be set in a different continuity altogether, with seemingly different gameplay.

If there are good singleplayer options, I'll definitely check it out.

Not sure where I land on the game quite yet, but it didn't really grab me as much as I was expecting it to. 

As @Cube said, the questions raised over the potential continuity in this game are...interesting? But I would much rather they just come out and say "Hey, you, here's what's happening." I feel like the questions we have are a marketing choice to get people talking more than anything else. 

In terms of what we saw, the combat looked okay, but not quite as tactile to me as the Arkham games, though it is difficult to judge based on a stream of pre-alpha gameplay. Not the biggest fan of it leaning heavily into more typical ARPG traits like experience and levels, numbers popping up all over the place to quantify damage or inform us of an enemy's level, and - purely based on what was shown here - what seems to be a focus on rushing enemies being the more viable option when compared with stealth. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the art style, because while it would take some getting used to anyway, having the combat clearly be based on Arkham's but having a softer art style just doesn't work with it as cohesively for me. 

Last thing: co-op in this is cool. Online co-op only, and with only two players when there are four playable characters? Not as cool. 

I’m not sure about that Robin costume that’s shown in the gameplay video but I thought Mr Freeze looked great, loved the design for him.

@Julius @Cube I'm pretty sure they've said this is based in its own world, while the Suicide Squad game is based in the existing Arkham Universe, might be wrong on that though.

Either way, this game appeals to me a lot more than the mentioned SS title, the trailer for that one just didn't really do much for me. I'm sure closer to the time and when we learn more about it I'll get excited but at the moment, this is the one I'm really looking forward to playing and getting back to the Batman Universe with!

I’m hoping it does do well and can get some sequels where we get more and more of the Batfamily turn up like Batwoman, other Robins, Huntress, Spoiler etc.

• Like 1

The continuity seems all over the place, and really does imply at first to be a continuation of the Arkham Verse, by virtue of the trailer starting with the plot of the very end of Akrham Knight! Its really really odd and i don't see how they didn't realise the confusion it would cause, perhaps not have opened it with that? 

This i think further reinforced the expectations and rumours that WB were doing a sequel to Knight which then made it fall so hard on fans, when RPG elements showed up and the continuity was out, so i understand how it backfired for fans and left more casual gamers thinking it was an Arkham Game

I don't think it helped the confusion that that looked like an Arkham game, where as Suicide Squad which IS actually a continuation of the Arkham series, didn't seem like it was.

That said, the game looks great, i like the concept, i like the idea of playing as the other characters and not just batman - who knowing the storyline for the court of owls i'm sure will show up

• Like 2

I agree about the confusion.

I’m excited by the premise, and the mystery surrounding the death(?) of Batman. I’m someone who knows next to nothing about the ‘Court of Owls’ @Julius mentioned, but it sounds as though the game will reveal more about them for people like me throughout the course of the game, judging by this interview.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Really liked this story trailer, game definitely captures that creepy Arkham-esque vibe, and seeing more of the Court of Owls is always good. The BTS stuff was pretty great too, team sounds really excited:

The lack of exterior shots and gameplay is a little concerning, but hey, if it needs to cook, then it needs to cook. This felt like it did a much better job at setting the tone then what we got last year at least. 

It not being 4 player (based on no update here, what they've said before, and the Steam page) is still an absolute bummer. The group of friends I play games with every week is 4 people, all of us into stuff like this, and so it being only 2 player means I'll probably end up having to play it solo, which just kind of sucks. Part of me wants to say maybe it's down to difficulty scaling for more players, but let's be honest, if you've got 4 players you're there first and foremost for a good time, even if it means you fly through the game. So that's a real shame, and still a suuuuuper weird decision to take I think. 

Please, please, please don't be a 4 player mode or an error (which...urgh, it probably is). The fact that it's only been announced as being 2 player previously has been something which has annoyed me and my friends and has made us collectively less likely to pick the game up at launch. 

Hopefully we'll find out what's up next month at Not-E3 :peace:

Tomorrow™ at 14:00 BST. 

Funny timing after that PS Store spot over the weekend. My expectations are in check and I'm expecting the announcement of only a 4 player mode. 

It looks...kind of rough in spots? And only mentions next-gen consoles at the end now. 

Villains trailer from Gamescom's ONL:

Moved up half a week to a 21st October release too! 

I loved the Arkham games, with the exception of the Batmobile bits in Knight, which were shiiiiit.

But I just can't get excited about this one. ::shrug: Not sure what it is, but it's just not hitting the spot for me. 

Sign in to follow this