NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
LazyBoy

Most Innovative Games You Have Played This Year (or longer, whatever)

Apart from helping my kid brother out with BotW I've been having a month off from games, and now I'm getting really excited about picking up something new to play.

However like fine harvest produce I would like something really fresh. New ideas, bold concepts, risk taking galore.

So talk to me friends, what are the most innovative games you've played in recent times? 

Streets of Rage 4 - While it follows the basic template of the earlier titles, the newly introduced combo system - which has also been improved since launch - offers an innovative way to play Streets of Rage, especially as landing large combos will net you a higher score, which in turn will improve your grade at the end of each stage. Weapon juggling is now a thing as well, not only can you pick up a weapon and use it on the enemies, but you can also throw certain weapons, watch the bounce off the enemies as they get knocked back and then catch the weapon to use again, providing you time it right; in areas where there's a pile of weapons and lots of enemies, things can get... interesting. :D

• Like 1

I don't know if they're recent enough for you (2018 and 2019 respectively), but Return of the Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds are probably my favorite unique games I've played recently.

• Like 1

The most innovative game I've played this year was The Fisherman's Tale.

Just mind-bending game mechanics.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bob said:

The most innovative game I've played this year was The Fisherman's Tale.

Just mind-bending game mechanics.

Is there a non-VR version?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Not sure if it really works otherwise.

17 minutes ago, bob said:
19 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Not sure if it really works otherwise.

When the gamer cafe near me reopens I'll seek it out. I want to give Alyx a go anyway. Do you own one then?

When the gamer cafe near me reopens I'll seek it out. I want to give Alyx a go anyway. Do you own one then?
I have a Quest and a laptop I can link it up to. Not tried Alyx yet though. Going to wait till it's a bit cheaper!
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this