NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Where Do You Go Out To Eat?

Now that places seem to be opening up sloooowly, I thought that I would make a thread asking where you guys would normally go out for food. Might even be quite useful to recommend special places where you live or in other places that you have visited.

In Bournemouth, my favourite Indian restaurant is The Eye Of the Tiger. Brilliant name and the food there is absolutely fucking divine. Never had anything less than a 9/10 there. The meat samosas are perfect and the sauces that they serve it with are so sweet. I always have the "Tiger Special" which is dish that contains strips of chicken, mixed with a tikka masala and bhuna type of sauce, and it is served sizzling hot. Hnnnnnngggg. The peshwari naan bread is also amazing, so sweet. :love:

THE EYE OF THE TIGER, Bournemouth - Updated 2020 Restaurant ...

We try and go to Spain once a year in the summer because @Eenuh's family have a home there that's tied in with their business. There's an amazing restaurant that we go to called Antica Roma. It's our favourite restaurant to visit when we are there and the pasta dishes are beautiful. So creamy and delicious. Again, never had a disappointing night there. The pizza selections are great, but the pastas are just amazing.

Antica Roma - Picture of Restaurante Trattoria Antica Roma, Calpe ...

The last time that we were there, we discovered an amazing tapas restaurant next door to it, which I can't wait to go back to. I've forgotten the name of it at the moment, but will try and remember later. Probably some of the best paella that I've ever had when I was there. Could easily have had the whole thing again and there was tons of it, too.

Last year, we discovered Koh Tai Tapas for the first time, years after a friend recommended this to us. 

Koh Thai Tapas – Bournemouth.com

The crispy squid is my favourite. I could eat a double portion of that, if I wanted to. The sliced crispy beef was also amazing the last time I was there, so may have to go for that again. Plus, you can also never go wrong with prawn toast or spring rolls. Hnnnngggg.

I will post more later, but I thought that I would start with these three first. Making myself hungry in the process...

• Like 2

My favourite place for lunch is Wally's Delicatessen and Kaffeehaus in Cardiff. Downstairs is a delicatessen selling all sorts of imported food & drink from all over the world, upstairs is a cafe inspired by Viennese coffee culture. The sausage platter and open sandwiches are all really nice. The coffee and cakes are also great.

Royal+Arcade.jpg

My usual go to place after events is Tiny Rebel in Newport and Cardiff. Fairly standard burger meals and pizzas, but done very well. And some of the best beer in Wales on tap to go with it.

tiny-rebel-cdf.jpg

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

My favourite place for lunch is Wally's Delicatessen and Kaffeehaus in Cardiff. Downstairs is a delicatessen selling all sorts of imported food & drink from all over the world, upstairs is a cafe inspired by Viennese coffee culture. The sausage platter and open sandwiches are all really nice. The coffee and cakes are also great.

Royal+Arcade.jpg

My usual go to place after events is Tiny Rebel in Newport and Cardiff. Fairly standard burger meals and pizzas, but done very well. And some of the best beer in Wales on tap to go with it.

tiny-rebel-cdf.jpg

Hnnnnngg, that Delicatessen looks great. I'm originally from Newport but haven't been out for a meal in Cardiff for years. Will try that next time I'm there!

Where is Tiny Rebel in Newport? 

13 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Where is Tiny Rebel in Newport?

It's on the high street just around the corner from the train station. They also have a big brewery bar in Rogerstone, I keep meaning to give it a visit sometime.

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 1

When I was in Manchester, there was a place called TV21 that did amazing burgers. Unfortunately, they changed owners, and changed the type of food they served. The burger meat was the same quality as before, but the flavour was just not there. It's like they had just stopped using spices. There's also an amazing burrito place called Barburritos that I really miss. 

I've not become ultra attached to anywhere near me, but I do enjoy Hickories every time I go there:

hickory-s-smokehouse.jpg

Amazing smokehouse meat, and they have an absolutely amazing grape soda.

• Like 2

Not something any of you will ever get to visit (I live in Germany, as most of you know :p) but there's an awesome "kind of fast-food" restaurant in Aachen called AKL. I say "kind of" because it's all fresh ingredients, but made quickly :D Take-away or sit down inside the restaurant itself (it's quite small) or you can take a seat in the bar next door. It's a great concept: Order food, go to the bar and order drinks. Enjoy both.

They make Lebanese food:

akl-restaurant-rawad-akl_24007262_mw640h

That sauce you see on the bottom right plate? It's the best sauce I've ever had. I can't describe the taste, as it's quite unique and I haven't tasted anything like that.

Anyways...I'll probably just go there today because I haven't been there in ages :D

• Like 2

My favorite places in Singapore are:

Kushikatsu Tanaka

46eda3_a98d8565e523450199ea89b25fae1306~mv2.webp

Which is a pretty authentic kushikatsu place, the food is basically a variety of battered and deep fried things which looks like this:

img24342_10122017091537.jpeg

And you dip it in the sauce like this:

img24339_10122017084026.jpeg

Very nice indeed and not too expensive. They’re a chain and have a lot of locations in Japan too.

Yatagarasu

yatagarasu-img-2.jpg

The best Yakitori in Singapore. Japanese staff who cook ingredients from Japan to perfection:

0d5799_166393afe87e483a9522f26f41bc8e93~mv2.webp

This place is a little on the pricey side but well worth it.

If you ever find yourself in Manila I thoroughly recommend...

Brotzeit

brotzeit2.jpg

An awesome German bar with awesome beer and fantastic meet platters.

SAM_1800.JPG

They also have German entertainment which is super fun and the tables are those long beer hall type things - really good fun.

For anyone that takes a trip to Tokyo, I recommend finding a train station and heading to a bar underneath the railway tracks - almost certainly you’ll find something awesome.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, will' said:

An awesome German bar with awesome beer and fantastic meet platters.

SAM_1800.JPG

Pff, why does it always have to be the Bavarian/Oktoberfest style when there are German bars in other countries :nono: 

North Rhine-Westphalian cuisine is much better :p For example:

Potato fritter/pancake

index-14-845x435.jpg

Or Sauerbraten

sauerbraten.jpg

We also have much tastier beer :D

Anyways, there is an amazing burger place in my hometown (Mönchengladbach). I'm actually going there on Saturday. It's called Rabbit Hole. A little on the expensive side but my goodness, the burgers are delicious. They also have custom made spicy mayonnaise which is sooooo good.

I'll probably get the Yam Burger on Saturday:

moniquedeacaro-04650_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1586430688

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Not something any of you will ever get to visit (I live in Germany, as most of you know :p) but there's an awesome "kind of fast-food" restaurant in Aachen called AKL. I say "kind of" because it's all fresh ingredients, but made quickly :D Take-away or sit down inside the restaurant itself (it's quite small) or you can take a seat in the bar next door. It's a great concept: Order food, go to the bar and order drinks. Enjoy both.

They make Lebanese food:

akl-restaurant-rawad-akl_24007262_mw640h

That sauce you see on the bottom right plate? It's the best sauce I've ever had. I can't describe the taste, as it's quite unique and I haven't tasted anything like that.

Anyways...I'll probably just go there today because I haven't been there in ages :D

Hnnnnnng. I've only ever had Lebanese food once with a good friend in Brighton. Can't believe we only did it the once, since it was so tasty.

That looks so good. That bottom right plate looks delicious. 

First and last time I'm checking this thread. It's making me hungry.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

First and last time I'm checking this thread. It's making me hungry.

There's a still tinge of regret that I'm feeling, too. :laughing:

Keep the suggestions/pics coming people. FOOOOOOOD POOOOOORN.

• Weird 1

Got a takeaway from Stone Rock Pizza tonight, excellent as usual. Pre lockdown I've been to their restaurant in Chepstow quite a few times, they have a very nice outdoor seating area which has grape vines overhanging the tables.

IMG_2484.jpg

• Like 1

I very rarely eat out.. I'm a fussy eater and a vegetarian... But when I do its usually one of the following places. 

Boojum (Irish burrito chain - amazing food) 

Burger King (their veggie options are actually really good) 

McDonald's (their veggie burger tastes like crap but fries are heavenly) 

Build a burger (closed down now sadly but their plant based burger was to die for) 

Used to go to wetherpoons all the time (amazing plant based food) but they have been cancelled cos there a owned by a idiot. 

As you can tell I don't really do fancy food 😂. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soag said:

I very rarely eat out.. I'm a fussy eater and a vegetarian... But when I do its usually one of the following places. 

Boojum (Irish burrito chain - amazing food) 

Burger King (their veggie options are actually really good) 

McDonald's (their veggie burger tastes like crap but fries are heavenly) 

Build a burger (closed down now sadly but their plant based burger was to die for) 

Used to go to wetherpoons all the time (amazing plant based food) but they have been cancelled cos there a owned by a idiot. 

As you can tell I don't really do fancy food 😂. 

Have you ever tried the Impossible Burger from Hard Rock Cafe? Best vegetarian burger i've ever had. 

• Like 2

Whenever we go to Gourmet Burger Kitchen (hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng), I get the falafel burger and it's one of my favourite things to order from anywhere. It tastes delicious and stands on its own as a very good burger. I'm gutted that we don't have a GBK in Bournemouth. My first ever experience was in Brighton and I thought it was a Brighton-only thing, but I was somewhat delighted to know that you can find them around the country. Been to one in Brighton, Cardiff, Southampton, Manchester...maybe even Bath? Can't remember if we've gone to one in London or not, but I would assume so. My favourite chain, alongside Pizza Express.

Here's a pic of it with somebody also ordering a large onion ring to go in it, which I have never thought about before until now...

Falafel Burger by Gourmet Burger Kitchen London Westfield - Joy ...

It's a fucking delicious burger. Pluuuuuus, even though it's not on the menu, I always ask for satay sauce to go with my chips. Satay sauce and chips is just an unbelievably good combination. Can't believe more places don't offer satay sauce as a dipping sauce. My plan to become a millionaire is to sell satay sauce like you would sell ketchup and bbq sauce, since NOBODY really does this. I'm going to be filthy fucking rich.

• Like 2

The thing I hate about “nice” burgers when I go out is I’m never sure how to eat them. I look at that one and it’s either going to be super messy or I eat it with a knife and fork. Either way I’m going to be looked at like I’m a small child who doesn’t know how to eat properly yet.

• Like 3

The thing I hate about “nice” burgers when I go out is I’m never sure how to eat them. I look at that one and it’s either going to be super messy or I eat it with a knife and fork. Either way I’m going to be looked at like I’m a small child who doesn’t know how to eat properly yet.
Too true. The bigger the burger, the more annoying it looks to tackle. Also don't get me started on brioche buns that look nice but often fall apart when handling.

I have a lot of places I like to eat at in London, when I get chance I'll post some pics. :)
  • Like 1

I use a knife and fork for my burgers. It's never an issue and find it waaaay easier than potentially trying to take huge mouthfuls out of it. 

I don't give a shit how I look eating a burger when I'm out. I'm eating good food, so that's all that matters. :laughing:

Better than Ed Milibanding it. :laughing::shakehead:eek:

Ed Miliband bacon sandwich photograph - Wikipedia

• Like 1

It did remind me that my favorite burger place is:

Burger Bar

9268f59ef3d3df8eb28457ae1bfedddfd6585529

There are a couple of standout burgers but you won’t go wrong whatever you pick. My personal favorite is the Hubert Keller burger which has spinach, blue cheese and a great sauce.

20130711-135303.jpg

It’s on the 6th floor of Macy’s in San Francisco but I think they have a few other locations too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

My plan to become a millionaire is to sell satay sauce like you would sell ketchup and bbq sauce, since NOBODY really does this. I'm going to be filthy fucking rich.

Well, don't do it here, because here it's commonplace. I only put either peanut sauce (as we call it here usually, satay sauce, the sauce we put on the actual satay, is usually a bit different) or truffle mayonaise on my fries.

Also I hate "gourmet burgers". Those aren't real burgers. If you're eating a burger with a knife and fork you're doing it wrong.

For those who come to visit: if you come to "my neighbourhood", and go to Rotterdam, this is a good burger place: https://www.restauranthamburg.nl/

More likely, if you're visiting Amsterdam, then this one is good: https://the-butcher.com/ They have multiple locations within the city, and even abroad nowadays apparently, I see now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

For those who come to visit: if you come to "my neighbourhood", and go to Rotterdam, this is a good burger place: https://www.restauranthamburg.nl/

I visited Rotterdam about 5 years ago and went to a burger place just around the corner from the hostel I was staying at. It claimed to have the best burgers in Rotterdam and they were pretty damn good. Can't remember what the place was called.

• Like 1

Just now, Mandalore said:

I visited Rotterdam about 5 years ago and went to a burger place just around the corner from the hostel I was staying at. It claimed to have the best burgers in Rotterdam and they were pretty damn good. Can't remember what the place was called.

Do you know what the hostel was called or where it was located? If it was at de "Witte de Withstraat", then it probably was the one I linked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Do you know what the hostel was called or where it was located? If it was at de "Witte de Withstraat", then it probably was the one I linked.

King Kong Hostel which is apparently on Witte de Withstraat 74, so yep probably the same place!

• Like 2

Been a while since I've been for a nice meal somewhere and even then it's mostly the regular boring old places.

I guess there is a nice chinese I've been to a few times near the Excel Center in London with @Goafer. I usually try and drag him there when we go to Comic Con. Yi-Ban I think it's called.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this