NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Neon Abyss (PC, PS4, XBO, Switch)

Combining furious run ‘n’ gun action and deep, roguelike mechanics, Neon Abyss pits you as a member of ‘Grim Squad’ – a task force set-up by Hades himself to infiltrate the Abyss and defeat the New Gods.

This got released today.

Bought it at midnight and did two runs before going to sleep. I failed but it was awesome. It plays great and the rogue-lite (whoever wrote that description on YouTube is wrong...it's not a roguelike) mechanics seem to be spot-on.

I know there aren't a lot of people (if any) who enjoy rogue-lites, but maybe someone will give it a go.

There's a demo, available, too, but it suffers from some balancing and technical issues.

Phew, the Switch version suffers from some serious FPS drops once you get a few upgrades (more bullets, etc.). Turns the game into a slideshow from time to time.

And there's a pet that flies around you which can block your own bullets. If you have exploding bullets you hurt yourself so freaking much :D Gotta pay attention, once it hatches out of an egg.

I'm loving the game, though. Beat one "major boss" which opened up new levels. Also unlocked a few items/mechanics. The rogue-lite mechanics in this game are great :peace:

This game annoyed the fuck out of me initially because of frame drops, unbalanced (and unfair) items and lots of bugs.

Now a patch has been released and I'm ready to give it another go :D

Will try it out over the weekend. The first time I'll actually use my Switch after finishing Super Mario Sunshine in October.

Sign in to follow this