NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

CrossCode (PC, PS4, XBO, Switch)

A retro-inspired 2D Action RPG set in the distant future. CrossCode combines 16-bit SNES-style graphics with butter-smooth physics, a fast-paced combat system, and engaging puzzle mechanics, served with a gripping sci-fi story.

Digital version is out now on all consoles, physical copies will release at the end of August.

I've started playing this 40 minutes ago and I'm still in the tutorial :D So far, so good. Plays really well and looks beautiful.

Major gripe: Menus are laggy as hell. :(
Not a problem for now, because I don't need to use 'em, but I assume that once the game opens up and equipment and skills are introduced I'll get annoyed really quickly. As far as I know, a patch is in the works but we all know how much time Nintendo likes to dabble around with patch certifications :nono:

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Feel like this would probably be better off in the Nintendo part of the forums just because I feel like that's where most here will be playing it, but I've been looking forward to this game for a good while now, so look forward to picking it up. Unfortunately, a little poorly timed for me seeing as Ghost of Tsushima releases next Friday. 

For anyone wondering why you should be interested, feel like this video is probably the best at covering all of those bases, it's what hooked me in:

Feel like this is going to be the indie game closest to that Celeste/Hollow Knight level of reception and discussion when it comes to GOTY's later this year (of course assuming those menu issues drahkon mentioned are fixed). 

11 minutes ago, Julius said:

Feel like this is going to be the indie game closest to that Celeste/Hollow Knight level of reception and discussion when it comes to GOTY's later this year

Don't think so. It's getting very little representation in the gaming news world. No trailers on the Nintendo and Sony channels.
It's on GamePass, so that might help, but I doubt this'll be anything other than a hidden gem (if it's really as good as it seems).

21 minutes ago, Julius said:

Feel like this would probably be better off in the Nintendo part of the forums just because I feel like that's where most here will be playing it

I dunno, I bought the PC version.

49 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Don't think so. It's getting very little representation in the gaming news world. No trailers on the Nintendo and Sony channels.
It's on GamePass, so that might help, but I doubt this'll be anything other than a hidden gem (if it's really as good as it seems).

Yeah, we'll have to see I guess.

It's weird because you're absolutely right (not saying that you being right is weird drahkon :p just that it's weird that it does seem to be going unnoticed, this sort of game is usually picked up and covered by loads of outlets), I haven't seen any reviews for it go up today, and despite it being in a Direct before (can't remember if it was a Nindies Showcase actually) like you said, I think the most recent trailer was from a month ago?

The video above and it's reception elsewhere previously on PC seem nothing but positive, but I do recall there being some concerns regarding the publisher, so maybe that's unfortunately factored in to it? Could be the case they didn't send out review copies, or did so quite late. Plus, a Thursday release is pretty strange. 

If I recall, Celeste had somewhat limited hype around it leading up to it I remember, then at launch and after some great reviews that day (IGN giving it a 10 probably did it some massive favours), blossomed into something huge. Hollow Knight of course had a lot of hype built around it from its PC release a year or so before release, I feel like the shadow drop during an E3 Nintendo Direct with a few months of exclusivity got it even more attention than it might have otherwise. 

I hope it picks up some steam, because by all means it seems to have garnered some great reception on PC, could just be a slow burn if it hasn't been backed as it perhaps should have been. Even IGN haven't reviewed it yet it seems, so I feel like something's up there. 

41 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I dunno, I bought the PC version.

Oh, for sure people will pick this up elsewhere. Just feel like on here most will end up getting it on Switch, plus the Nintendo Gaming area normally has a lot more activity when it comes to discussing indie games I feel? But maybe that's just me :smile:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh, for sure people will pick this up elsewhere. Just feel like on here most will end up getting it on Switch, plus the Nintendo Gaming area normally has a lot more activity when it comes to discussing indie games I feel? But maybe that's just me :smile:

I never mind games being posted in the Nintendo section, I just wish that more people bothered to actually list the other platforms the game appear on like we do in this section. It happens sometimes but regularly I miss that something is actually available on something other than the Switch.

• Like 2

Just now, Happenstance said:

I never mind games being posted in the Nintendo section, I just wish that more people bothered to actually list the other platforms the game appear on like we do in this section. It happens sometimes but regularly I miss that something is actually available on something other than the Switch.

Oh for sure, that's definitely something I agree with. I wish there were tags or something, so that even it's being pushed as a Switch game, it also showed that it was available elsewhere.

In the rare cases that I do post a new thread for a game over there I do try to do that, even if it's just at the end of the first post (just to save the title from being a mess :D)

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh for sure, that's definitely something I agree with. I wish there were tags or something, so that even it's being pushed as a Switch game, it also showed that it was available elsewhere.

I never really figured out how they work, but there is some kind of tag system. At least I see tags next to some topics in the Nintendo part of the forum. But I don't know if it can be setup so that topics tagged Nintendo for example also show up there. Might be worth asking in the Board News part.

I’m enjoying the game so far anyway, it’s got a nice style both visually and in gameplay. 

Yup, as expected: The laggy menus are annoying as hell.
Frame rate in towns can also be very choppy. It actually hurts my eyes at times.

Really hope Nintendo hurries up with the patch certification...going from reddit comments, a patch is done but Nintendo's taking their sweet sweet time as always. ::shrug:

Anyways, aside from the issues, the game is awesome :D I think I'm out of the tutorial (after 90 minutes) and the game has somewhat opened up.

• Thanks 1

Spent some more time with it just now after a break over the weekend.

Completed quite a few sidequests. Pretty standard stuff, but wrapped in some cute little stories.

Unlocked a few combat arts, so fighting is a bit more varied, but still kind of basic. I would assume that it'll open up more once I've unlocked the first element.

The FPS drops are getting more and more annoying. The devs claim they've fixed it in the upcoming patch. Really hope that's true.
Nintendo needs to get their shit together and reduce their patch certification time. Lots of indie devs have been complaining and I've experienced this with a few games now.

• Like 1

Finished the first dungeon. Took me about 70-80 minutes. The puzzles are no joke. If they get more difficult in the future I should expect some nice brain teasers.
The boss kicked my ass three times, but then I've gotten used to the fact that dashing wasn't as useful as simply running away from its attacks.

Overall: An amazing dungeon with cool puzzles (I guess later on there will be just variations/more complex puzzles incorporating the mechanics that are available to me; which is fine by me) and a challenging boss.

Unlocked the first element, and yes, combat got more varied :D

Spent a few more minutes finding/opening all the chests I've missed. Now it's time to move on.

• Like 1

Freaking finally. 3 weeks in certification limbo...Nintendo needs to step up their game. :nono:

Anyways, looking forward to a smoother experience. The laggy menus and towns made me stop playing.

• Thanks 1

Well, that was disappointing. The menu lag is gone but towns still suffer from considerable frame drops. It's very distracting and annoying.

Guess I'll put the game on hold again ::shrug:

Sign in to follow this