NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Beast

N-E Book Club (or just a chat about books)

Used to read a fair bit back in the day but other things took over. But recently I’ve had the urge to find something to read again. Luckily local Radio station here has been doing a monthly book club thing too and the last book mentioned sounded a little interesting to me. 

Legends and Lattes by Travis Baldree

Never heard of it nor the author, but the book for the month was to be something easy and light as they had done heavier books before that and this was mentioned. It’s a shortish book, easily read in a few days, fantasy but quite a different fantasy than dragons and battles. I enjoyed it and it is an easy read. It’s about an Orc that wants to put her bloodshed and battling behind and decides to open a coffee shop in a small villages that has never heard of coffee. The story becomes a story of family and friendships made along the way. 
It seems to get quite favourable reviews too. Worth a checkout if you want something light to read. 

After that I went and found one that I’ve always wanted to read. I’ve loved the film since seeing it as a child and knowing now how things differ between original books and film adaptations I wanted to check it out. So…

The NeverEnding Story

So first off, the film adaptation is like half the actual book. The first half at that, the film did follow it pretty closely with some alterations and such, but it’s the second half that shows so much more of the world and gives you so much more of why Fantasica (film changed it to Fantasia) exists and so much more of the world. Though it also feels like a different book altogether. I can see why it wasn’t a part of the film. A great book though, easy to read and seems to put across a well intended morale at the end there. If you’ve ever seen the film but never read the book, I’d say read it. Get a feel for what more to the story there is and why it is called the NeverEnding Story too. 

38 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Legends and Lattes by Travis Baldree

Never heard of it nor the author, but the book for the month was to be something easy and light as they had done heavier books before that and this was mentioned. It’s a shortish book, easily read in a few days, fantasy but quite a different fantasy than dragons and battles. I enjoyed it and it is an easy read. It’s about an Orc that wants to put her bloodshed and battling behind and decides to open a coffee shop in a small villages that has never heard of coffee. The story becomes a story of family and friendships made along the way. 
It seems to get quite favourable reviews too. Worth a checkout if you want something light to read. 

I started reading that last year after it was getting a lot of buzz. Didn't get too far into it but I need to go back to it at some point.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this