NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

Day 23 - licensed Video Game

some good picks here. 
For me Rogue Leader Comes second as it was a great game and I’m not a Star Wars fan. But I did enjoy the Lego Star Wars games more. In fact any of the Lego Games could have won. But for me it is pretty easy. 
007-GoldenEye-James-Bond-Oldest-Record-B

Goldeneye. Has pretty much been the perfect film to video game translation. Great multiplayer and DK Mode is hilarious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am legitimately surprised at the lack of mentions of Spider-Man or Batman so far.

Anyway, there are some great licensed games to consider. Dragon Ball FighterZ is the raddest Dragon Ball game yet; Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is amazing, but I don't want to include a massive unfocused crossover in this category; Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie (Mega Drive version) is one of the best beat'em ups I've played... But my choice is

mickey_mouse_world_of_illusion_profilela

A wonderful 2D platformer, extremely well polished. Not only does it look great with its colourful and detailed sprites and animations, not only does it have an excellent soundtrack that fits the "magical world" theme, but it's got pretty good controls and level design as well.

Their moves are identical, but playing as Mickey gives a certain set of levels for that playthrough, while playing as Donald gives you entirely different levels in places. And then playing in Co-op mode unlocks a third set of levels, levels that take full advantage of the Co-op mechanics (encouraging teamwork). They're all varied levels too, Donald's Leaf level is one of the most fun experiences in any 2D platformer I've ever had, while Mickey's Cork level feels like a different genre. And those who played this in Co-op can never forget that minecart level.

There are also little touches, like the animations that play if you try to attack a teammate, or the ability to jump on each others' heads for amusing results. Or how the enemies always transform into something specific to that world when you defeat them. Or the nods to different Disney films.

It's just a really good game, you know? Excellent choice for that Mega Drive Mini.

Previous picks (Hide contents)

Earliest video game memory - Tetris or Sonic
Opening section - Final Fantasy IX
Local multiplayer - Snipperclips
Favourite villain - Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
3D Platformer - De Blob
Most relaxing navigation - Wind Waker
Favourite ranged combat - Worms Armageddon
Best musical moment - One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)
Scariest moment - Doki Doki Literature Club
Best Credits sequence - Super Mario 64
Best Town - Windfall Island (Wind Waker)
Best "bad" game - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Best open world city game - Chaos on Deponia
Best 2D Platformer - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Best story - Tales of Symphonia
Best collectible - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Best racing game - F-Zero GX
Best mini game - Pokémon Stadium
Best melee combat - Soul Calibur II
Saddest moment - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Game that brings me back to childhood - Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Best playable character - Link (Skyward Sword)
Best licensed game - World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 23 - Licensed Video Game

5802447-1-wm_1.jpg

Loved it as a kid. Never finished it, though, because I never owned a copy.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 23 - Licensed video game

Sam & Max: Hit the Road

sam-max-title-850x510.jpg

I grew up as a huge fan of the Point & Click Adventure games, such as Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Day of the Tentacle and Toonstruck.

Sam & Max: Hit the Road had great voice acting and made me laugh throughout.  It may not have been the best of its genre, but it was hugely enjoyable & memorable.  I haven’t tried the sequels released a few years ago, but they have a lot to live up to!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 24 - Final Mission

The warthog section at the end of the Halo 3. Especially with 4 players - loads of fun, even if you're the guy stuck on the mongoose.
9rKnFVL.jpg

(I had to specify that section because the parts of the final level before the chase are pretty bad)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I mentioned this game before and it’s here again for this 

Day 24 - Final Mission

LEGO City Undercover. This last free fall from space mission is accompanied by the best bit of music in the game. It may not be amazing to everyone but that music and score made it feel epic to me. 

• Thanks 1

For Best Final Mission I was going to go for Jedi: Fallen Order, Inside or Mario Odyssey but then I remembered Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS, and that nerve-wracking final showdown (well, kind of) against Bowser, especially with the 3D slider turned all the way up. EPIC! Really hope Nintendo keep the series alive, I love the pure platforming challenge of this and 3D World.

ezgifcomresize.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 24 - Best Final Mission

Inside.
Starting off a generic, but great puzzle platformer, the ending is at another level of Akira proportions. Fantastic last act.

3ff623c53618a4ecf7f5193e234232a4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Call of Duty 4 - Mile High Club. Really short and fun level to play though at the end of the game after watching the credits.

I'm gonna break the rules a little and combine the last two dungeons of Final Fantasy IX:

Spoiler

Memoria and Crystal World (way to get creative with that name)

Very moody and interesting places to venture through, right before the final bosses. Loved the aesthetic and music when I was a kid and it hasn't changed one bit.

• Like 1

Best Final Mission

This is getting harder and harder to do without re-using the same games...

I think i'll go for:

Portal 2

I'm not going to post a gif, as it might be a spoiler, but the whole final fight and how you win it was just brilliant.

• Like 1

Best Final Mission

Most final levels in Pokémon games (Hell, most games in general) tend to feel epic or bombastic. Get the adrenaline pumping for the final fight and all.

Not Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon. Here's the music that plays in the final dungeon.

Truly haunting. Especially given the context the game provides.

Spoiler

Power of Friendship ain't doing jack when all the Pokémon in the world are dead (except the two you're playing as, and that's only because of the special kind of evolution they have).  And this music really gets that point across.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

Best Final Mission

Mass-Effect-2-game-art.png

Mass Effect 2

The end result of a whole bunch of planning and preparation, it was good to see all your efforts pay off and there be actual consequences to your actions if you didn't prepare properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cube said:

Day 24 - Final Mission

The warthog section at the end of the Halo 3. Especially with 4 players - loads of fun, even if you're the guy stuck on the mongoose.
9rKnFVL.jpg

(I had to specify that section because the parts of the final level before the chase are pretty bad)

Good choice. 

I'd go with the final mission of Halo CE, really good mission throughout that of course ends in the great final warthog section. I have fond memories of completing that mission co-op on Legendary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tricky one. I've used up a bunch of games as good options already, so I'm going for Super Mario Odyssey.

That final bit where...

Spoiler

...you play as Bowser is amazing, and they throw in a little 2D section as a bonus. Usually not the greatest fan of these "everything is collapsing, get out as fast as you can" sections but it works great here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Metroid: Zero Mission

If you've played it, then you know the bit and you know the boss and if you haven't... then... I would recommend it.

That entire last section, the build up and the boss battle which is harder if you've obtained 100% of items... I won't say it's my favourite boss battle but, it's an interesting concept.

Metroid: Zero Mission is definitely a fantastic remake of the original game though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 24 - Final Mission

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

SI_N64_LegendOfZeldaOcarinaOfTime.jpg

For me it has been bettered in other games since, but at the time it felt like a suitably climactic conclusion to the best game I’d ever played.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of final levels/missions in games feel epic and spectacular, so there's a lot of good stuff to choose from. Yet, one that's always stuck with me...

Sonic 2

latest?cb=20130504134425

Music for effect

Zero rings. That's the key concept here. After a massive trek across 9 zones, you've certainly come across situations where rings were limited, usually whenever you died to Robotnik.

Enter the Death Egg, a zone with nothing but two boss battles. One hit and you're dead. You know how dangerous and precarious this situation is, and it's with that knowledge that you see Eggman's giant hulking robot walk slowly towards you, each massive step's noise echoing through the station. You find yourself being more cautious than ever before, trembling as you know that the slightest miscalculation leads to another lost life, unsure of which part of this robot is weak, and which part kills you. As the robot flies, you have a moment to look at the background, be reminded of the stakes, and think "Man, that's a beautiful planet. That's truly what we're fighting for"

You don't even notice how goofy the robot is. This just feels like an epic culmination. And the uplifting ending that comes after is the perfect cap-off to this heavy trial.

This is how you design the final mission.

Previous picks (Hide contents)

Earliest video game memory - Tetris or Sonic
Opening section - Final Fantasy IX
Local multiplayer - Snipperclips
Favourite villain - Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
3D Platformer - De Blob
Most relaxing navigation - Wind Waker
Favourite ranged combat - Worms Armageddon
Best musical moment - One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)
Scariest moment - Doki Doki Literature Club
Best Credits sequence - Super Mario 64
Best Town - Windfall Island (Wind Waker)
Best "bad" game - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Best open world city game - Chaos on Deponia
Best 2D Platformer - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Best story - Tales of Symphonia
Best collectible - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Best racing game - F-Zero GX
Best mini game - Pokémon Stadium
Best melee combat - Soul Calibur II
Saddest moment - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Game that brings me back to childhood - Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Best playable character - Link (Skyward Sword)
Best licensed game - World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Best final level - Sonic 2

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 25 - Online Multiplayer

Being a Nintendo only gamer, the most recent games are by far the better, allowing a stable and effective online. Yes, it’s missing all the other functions, but dropping into an online match of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is fast, painless, and a hell of a lot of fun, every time

f34c682843fde138acecec612b1dbc62.jpg

• Thanks 2

This one is easy. The best new IP Nintendo has come up with since Pikmin and now a mainstay in their biggest sellers after only 2 games. Splatoon, for me, is proof that Nintendo can move in the right direction and go with the times while still retaining everything that makes them unique. Give youth a chance Nintendo, let them express themselves and have more creative freedom! 

Splatoon / Splatoon 2

splatoon_2_turf_war_1501245510217.jpeg

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Burnout Paradise. I've never encountered another online game that feels "competitive but friendly" like this, especially for the challenges. You all have a task to complete together, but you want to perform better than everyone else.

• Thanks 1

Online Multiplayer

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so two videos must be worth way more!

Make a room for your friends, turn on items. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will provide the hilarity sooner or later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this