NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

Day 28 - Favourite DLC/Expansion

51PW35JSJAL._SX385_.jpg

My favourite expansion is StarCraft: Brood War, an expansion that was even better than the original game with better missions and a couple of great new units. I'm not sure if this kills my Hard Mode, but I'm saying no as I've picked Sarah Kerrigan as favourite antagonist, but she's in StarCraft, Brood War and StarCraft II so I'll assign that to a different game than Brood War. :p 

Honourable mentions for Rise of the Tomb Raider: Baba Yaga, Red Alert 3: Uprising and the Bioshock Infinite DLC missions. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle's Donkey Kong DLC looks great as well but I've yet to play it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Best DLC

EiFuUXy.gif

Just Cause 3 improved on the second game by adding a wing-suit, which allowed you to glide around, using the grappling hook to pull yourself along the ground. You could get around like this indefinitely if you were careful, but you were still constantly falling, and would run out of momentum eventually. 

EnemyDroneDestroy_1457005840.gif

The Sky Fortress DLC gave you a powered jetpack, which meant you could use the wing-suit to basically fly around like Iron Man. It had unlimited missiles that you could fire like Iron Man too. It basically turned the game into the best Iron Man game that exists (not that it has much competition).

Edited by bob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Blood & Wine. This could've been sold as a full price stand alone game, it put other "season passes" to shame. It added a huge new map and great story-line to an already amazing game.

Witcher3BW1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sonic & Knuckles is a good shout, but it isn't "just" DLC (and besides, I wouldn't choose DLC that was supposed to be in the game at launch, gamers frown upon that :heh:)

Rather, I'll pick a moment that represents a wider industry trend: DLC characters in fighting games.

Geese Howard in Tekken 7

I wir staihn my houns. Wiss your BRAH!

Fighting games adding extra characters into theoretically-finished games is nothing new. Street Fighter 2 had multiple iterations for this purpose. Tekken 3 added Gon and Dr.B into the home release. Soul Calibur went as far as adding exclusive guest characters (and Necrid) for each home console.

(I wonder, if Smash Bros. followed that philosophy, would we have seen Banjo in a Melee re-release? Or maybe Dixie Kong and Plusle&Minun in Brawl? The possibilities)

Anyway, with the advent of DLC, this process has been streamlined immensely, and has lead to some incredibly hype reveal trailers. They also help the fanbase gauge whether a game is considered successful or not (for example, DB FighterZ and Soul Calibur VI are currently in their 3rd and 2nd DLC Season respectively, and neither was originally planned. It's a good sign for both franchises, and it lead to fan-favourites such as Kefla and Cassandra now being on the roster when they previously couldn't). All in all, I'm happy with the current state of fighting games, even if it leads to higher prices for the full roster, or the absence of Mokujin. I just wish they'd also use the DLC to continue the story, but Mortal Kombat is currently exploring that venue, anyway, so we'll see.

Terry in Smash is a dream come true for sure, but the reveal of Geese in Tekken caught me completely blindsided. Heck, I actually stayed up late to watch that particular EVO (not something I do often, mind you), and managed to catch that incredible moment live. Look at the man! The classic smirk! The detailed muscles! The Engrish intact! The veins in his houn!

(Also, Ultimate already was an entry. And I finally managed to include Tekken, so there)

Previous picks (Hide contents)

Earliest video game memory - Tetris or Sonic
Opening section - Final Fantasy IX
Local multiplayer - Snipperclips
Favourite villain - Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
3D Platformer - De Blob
Most relaxing navigation - Wind Waker
Favourite ranged combat - Worms Armageddon
Best musical moment - One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)
Scariest moment - Doki Doki Literature Club
Best Credits sequence - Super Mario 64
Best Town - Windfall Island (Wind Waker)
Best "bad" game - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Best open world city game - Chaos on Deponia
Best 2D Platformer - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Best story - Tales of Symphonia
Best collectible - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Best racing game - F-Zero GX
Best mini game - Pokémon Stadium
Best melee combat - Soul Calibur II
Saddest moment - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Game that brings me back to childhood - Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Best playable character - Link (Skyward Sword)
Best licensed game - World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Best final level - Sonic 2
Best online - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Best NPC - Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
Best boss - Meta-Ridley (Metroid Prime)
Best DLC - Geese Howard (Tekken 7)

• Thanks 1

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

super-smash-bros-ultimate-fighters-pass-

Some of the best DLC/Expansion content released for any game in recent times, which offers incredible value for money if you're a regular Smash player.

• Like 2

Honourable mentions to Super Smash Bros Ultimate, The Last of Us, and any Professor Layton game, but I’m going for:

New Super Luigi U

SI_WiiU_NewSuperLuigiU_image1600w.jpg

Originally released as DLC, this was effectively a new Mario platformer, and even better, it starred the green plumber!  The levels were shorter, with only 100 seconds limit for them, but I enjoyed the increased difficulty and the fact that there were over 80 levels to beat.  Frantic, manic, haphazard fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Graphics/art style

Finally I get to talk about my favourite game ever, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Much maligned when it was first revealed, now the visuals are almost universally praised. Just a gorgeous game that will stand the test of time, it looks great now, and it'll look great in 50 years. Honourable mention to Red Dead Redemption 2, simply stunning from start to finish, Mario Kart 8 and well, most Nintendo games.

9084c6e618ae5b99ffb1ea3387213e39b9e1bf36

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Graphics/Art Style

A year ago, if you said I'd be praising a Pokémon spin-off for it's looks, I'd have laughed you off the face of the planet. Small budget and hundreds of Pokémon to utilise doesn't make a recipe for pretty graphics. And yet...

PokemonMysteryDungeonRescueTeamDXImage1.

Holy crap, it looks like a drawing!

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX blindsided me in two ways. One being that it even exists in this time of constant mobile focused Pokémon spin-offs, and two in that it actually looks better than the current mainline Pokémon game.

I've always maintained that a good art style will do way more than graphical fidelity (I mean, Wind Waker above is a prime example of that), and this only goes to prove it. Rescue Team DX has no right looking so damn pretty, but I'm glad it does.

I especially like the hatching method of shading the game imitates. Really sells the drawing look and is the closest the series has looked to the gorgeous artwork it normally comes with.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Graphics/Art Style

Persona 5

Hands down the best presented game I've ever played. I put over a hundred hours into the game and I never skipped the intro once. Has the game got anything to do with figure skating? Nope, but it looks awesome, so it's in the intro.

Even the menus are stunning:

61062.gif

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Graphics/Art Style

There are so many games to pick from with this one. So much focus in development goes to graphics and art style that we're really spoilt for choice. I had many contenders from games I've already picked.

In the end I'm going for Feel the Magic by SEGA on the DS. Just love the silhouetted characters and general art style of the game. It fit beautifully with the play style and made for a really great when it first came out.

8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Graphics/Art Style

Running out of games a bit now, but i think this one fits here.

L.A. Noire

It's more for the general setting and 1940's art deco style of the game, which i loved, but the graphics were pretty good, and the motion capture for the facial animations were pretty revolutionary at the time:

giphy.gif

I really want them to make a sequel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Day 29 - Nicest Graphics/Art Style

Quite a recent game here, but I love the look of the remake of Link’s Awakening on the Switch, and hope they do more in this style. Even an RPG.

52f63d26ab20394a00d576988558e98f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Day 29 - Nicest graphics/art style

Breath of the Wild is a very pleasing game to look at - it manages to blend an artistic style and a more "realistic" style to create a stunning landscape.

TFtYynt.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

windwaker.jpg

I'm also picking The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker. The cel shaded style and cartoony Link were a great choice, and I'm glad Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks followed that art direction for a bit longer.

It also showed that if you want your 3D game to age at least a bit gracefully cel shaded is the way to go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For art style, Cuphead impressed me greatly with its 30s era hand drawn animation. Really gave the game a lot of personality and appeal beyond its core gameplay premise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I'm also picking The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker

I was just about to say there's a disturbing lack of Wind Waker in here, in a topic about art style !!

13 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Day 29 - Nicest Graphics/Art Style

Okami.

Yup, this. No contest :D

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

2436635-sezhy.jpg?resize=1920%252C1080&f

Just seeing screenshots from thge game again recently, reminded me of how fond I am of the art style and I still think it's the strongest entry in the series. :D

I'm guessing that for reasons, it won't get a HD remaster now either, if Nintendo doesn't want lots of varied characters in the series, then a remaster would probably have to be overhauled, possibly altering or chaning characters entirely, which... wouldn't really work, or they just won't do it, despite the fact that it would probably be more popular now than ever.

The latest entry looks amazing as well though, full credit to it, visually it is more detailed than ever, but the second game in the series looks just right to me. :peace:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few great picks been seen and I agree with them. Whilst not my winner, I would like to mention the Yoshi Wooly world and crafted world games as they look gorgeous in their own ways. 
So, it’s a pick between two games, luckily they both come from the same universe. Zelda. Wind Waker looks Stunning and the style deserves another gsme but my pick goes to Links Awakening on Switch. A perfect style for the game that gave it a dream like feel. 

• Like 4

Day 29 - Nicest graphics / art style

Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)

luigi-s-mansion-dark-moon-luigis-mansion

One of the rarer 3DS games that actually made great use of the 3D effect.  Turn that 3D slider up & it’s like peering into a diorama & added a lot more enjoyment to the game (plus I’ve already used up my vote for Wind Waker! 😁).

Edited by WackerJr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not being able to instantly think of a suitable NPC has held me up for a few days but I've settle for one that I remember liking but can't really remember why :grin:

I'm gonna have to play Phantom Hourglass again!

• Like 4

Games like Cuphead and Persona 5 do look like valid candidates for this, but I didn't spend enough time with these titles to fairly judge them. For example, King of Fighters XIII godly spritework looked super good at first, but its limitations became apparent after spending some time with that game. I'm also not a fan of the character design for that game, something I only fairly judged after getting over the technical prowess.

All I'm saying is that, today, I'm picking what I know best. I have broken the Hard Mode rule for Wind Waker once, and I'll do it again:

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

zelda-windwaker-gamecube-31.jpg?w=1024&h

Plenty of days I am undecided between two worthy entries, but in this case I would be lying to myself if I picked anything other than Wind Waker. The waves, the water, the foam, the greek-style explosions... It's all unbelievable, and so wonderful. Animations look great and so charming too, like Link's expressions, or that Tower of the Gods cutscene (still one of the greatest ever).

The individual NPCs, the Rito and Koroks, the Men-fish, , the expressive enemies (you know Grazza loves those moblins, and it's easy to see why)... The fact that you can see islands in the distance, the free camera, the seamless special effects... I could be here listing good stuff about this game all night (ooh, do you remember the shading inside the Dragon Roost dungeon, with all the lava? That looked so oppressive, and atmospheric!)

And it's no coincidence that I picked a Gamecube screenshot. This game still looks so good after 17 years, a testament to its value.

Previous picks (Hide contents)

Earliest video game memory - Tetris or Sonic
Opening section - Final Fantasy IX
Local multiplayer - Snipperclips
Favourite villain - Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
3D Platformer - De Blob
Most relaxing navigation - Wind Waker
Favourite ranged combat - Worms Armageddon
Best musical moment - One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)
Scariest moment - Doki Doki Literature Club
Best Credits sequence - Super Mario 64
Best Town - Windfall Island (Wind Waker)
Best "bad" game - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Best open world city game - Chaos on Deponia
Best 2D Platformer - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Best story - Tales of Symphonia
Best collectible - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Best racing game - F-Zero GX
Best mini game - Pokémon Stadium
Best melee combat - Soul Calibur II
Saddest moment - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Game that brings me back to childhood - Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Best playable character - Link (Skyward Sword)
Best licensed game - World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Best final level - Sonic 2
Best online - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Best NPC - Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
Best boss - Meta-Ridley (Metroid Prime)
Best DLC - Geese Howard (Tekken 7)
Best art style - Wind Waker

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Day 30 - Personal Gaming Tradition

Hm...I'm gonna break the rules again and just mention a few things:

Firstly: Multiplayer games with friends. Either online with one group or offline with another.
Right now my online gaming is made up of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. One of my best friends and some other people I know through him (never seen 'em in real life) regularly play this one and it's a blast.
Offline multiplayer usually happens when I visit my mom and then see a few of my best mates. We meet up, eat fast food, get drunk and play. :D

As for a "real" tradition: My yearly playthrough of Super Mario World around Christmas. Usually it's on the second or third day of Christmas after dinner. I retreat to my childhood bedroom, pour myself a glass of whiskey, get out a pack of Red Band wine gum (see picture below; wine gum + liquorice = me in heaven), plug in the SNES and just have a session of good old masterclass platforming :peace:

Red-Band-Lakritz-Fruchtgummi-Duo-500g.jpg

• Thanks 2

Gaming Tradition

61duQmL3K2L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Christmas Nights

Haven't done it for a while, but I used to play Christmas Nights on the lead up to Christmas every year. I'd reset my progress and unlock everything all over again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this