NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

Day 22 - Playable Character

Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate and leather jacket salesman. He's just a really fun character.

His skin is also the only thing that makes The Force Unleashed 2 worth playing, and I loved his inclusion in Uncharted 4.

qDULxFr.png

I would love a 2D Animated Monkey Island film from Disney. 

• Like 4

Day 22 - Favourite Playable Character

Gotta go to Kazuma Kiryu from the Yakuza series. 

lSdNVGp.gif

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Favourite Playable Character could have easily been Mario or Link, but I'll go with a character with a bit more depth :laughing:... Arthur Morgan from Red Dead Redemption 2. I genuinely adore this man, it was an absolute joy playing as him throughout the game. The voice actor did an incredible joke and his dry humour with touches of sarcasm was great fun. On top of that what the game did with his own personal story was really compelling. Made me really care for him by the end of the game.

1m4qYEH.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Favourite playable character

This one was hard, since so many characters you play as are fairly bland with no personality (purposefully, i would assume). But then i saw @Cube's choice, and the decision was made for me.

Guybrush-Dance-monkey-island-39052658-25

• Like 3

Favourite playable character. 
Another vote for the green clad boy/man/warrior. 
ALttP_Link_Artwork_3.png?version=9854ac5

my main reason is that Link is more of an extension of the player. As has been said in interviews as this is why he’s never had a voice. So he is probably the closest to us actually being in a video game. I think this is one of the few, if only character that has ever been described as such. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Favourite Playable Character

Samus Aran.

Specifically, Samus Aran from Metroid: Other M.

Say what you will about the game, but no Other Metroid (Don't groan) has felt more fluid to move about in. It's the best gameplay in the series because of how fun Samus is to control.

Sensemove to dodge attacks and immediately counter with the fast charge shot you get from it. It just feels so good.

The controls are so good, that the game expects you to get through the whole thing with no optional upgrades for Hard Mode, and unlike other Metroid games, it isn't some crazy difficult feat that only nutters would attempt. Challenging, sure, but doable thanks to Samus' repertoire.

Think I might play it again...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Day 18 - Mini-game:

PyoRo from WarioWare, Inc. This is the quintessential mini-game, super simple concept and controls (just move left/right and eat :hehe:) take 1 hit and it's all over, with a gradual increase in difficulty the longer you survive! I just love how the visuals and music change as you progress too, so good. :love:

Day 19 - Melee combat:

God Hand. Like a lot of cult classics this is one of those games that makes a very bad first impression, the controls seem terrible at first! :laughing: But stick with it and you'll be rewarded with what I consider to be some of the very best melee combat that the video game industry has ever seen, don't think it will ever be surpassed either. Unless... ;) But yeah, absolutely incredible stuff from Shinji Mikami and the legendary Clover Studio. :cool:

God Hand was going to be my pick for credits sequence, but I had to hold on to it for this category instead. Witness the awesomeness that is those credits anyway:

Spoiler

Day 20 - Saddest moment:

Receiving the Hero's Shield from Grandma in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Man, those facial expressions, and that music... *sniff* :(

I was also lucky enough to be at the Zelda 25th Anniversary concert in London to hear Koji Kondo play it live, amazing moment: :cry:

Day 21 - Game that takes you back to your childhood:

Super Mario Land. Yep, great memories of kicking back (in my Mario PJs :heh:) with the good ol' brick Game Boy, playing this game. Good times. :) 

Day 22 - Favourite playable character:

Mario. A boring choice I guess, but don't care, gotta keep it real. Just too many enjoyable experiences with this character over the years for it to be anyone else, and here's to many more in the future! Let's-a go! :D

0Zilqxu.gif

Spoiler
  1. Earliest video game memory: Bubble Bobble in the late 80’s (C64)
  2. Opening section of a game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  3. Local multiplayer: Wii Sports (Wii)
  4. Favourite villain/antagonist: Uncle Rupee from Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (NDS)
  5. 3D platformer: Super Mario 64 (N64)
  6. Most relaxing navigation: Endless Ocean (Wii)
  7. Favourite ranged combat: Time Crisis II (Arcade)
  8. Best musical moment: I am Impact! from Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
  9. Scariest moment: The entirety of Alien Isolation (PS4)
  10. Credits sequence: MadWorld (Wii)
  11. Town or village: Kamurocho from Yakuza 4 (PS3)
  12. Favourite awful game: Wii Music (Wii)
  13. Best open world city game: GTA V (PS3)
  14. 2D platformer: Super Mario World (SNES)
  15. Best story: Papo & Yo (PS3)
  16. Most interesting collectables: The treasures in Pikmin 2 (GCN)
  17. Racing game: F-Zero GX (GCN)
  18. Mini-game: PyoRo from WarioWare, Inc (GBA)
  19. Melee combat: God Hand (PS2)
  20. Saddest moment: Receiving the Hero's Shield from Grandma in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)
  21. Game that takes you back to your childhood: Super Mario Land (GB)
  22. Favourite playable character: Mario
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Favourite Playable Character

Samus Aran.

Specifically, Samus Aran from Metroid: Other M.

Say what you will about the game, but no Other Metroid (Don't groan) has felt more fluid to move about in. It's the best gameplay in the series because of how fun Samus is to control.

Sensemove to dodge attacks and immediately counter with the fast charge shot you get from it. It just feels so good.

The controls are so good, that the game expects you to get through the whole thing with no optional upgrades for Hard Mode, and unlike other Metroid games, it isn't some crazy difficult feat that only nutters would attempt. Challenging, sure, but doable thanks to Samus' repertoire.

Think I might play it again...

I'm loving this choice, @Glen-i:hehe:

I've always been meaning to go back to play through Other M again which, from memory, is probably one of my favourite Metroid games!

I have a few days to catch up on now but I'll give some thought to those soon..

• Thanks 1

Another tricky topic, you could make a list of 30+ characters, and all of them would fit the No.1 spot. But I suppose one character reaches higher than the others...

22513.jpeg

The most memorable videogame characters ever are cartoony ones such as Pac-Man, Mario, or Sonic. And then there's Link. Being inspired by Peter Pan helps, but there's no denying that "the boy in green" is a decidedly major videogame character.

Link is the iconic videogame adventurer character. Oh sure, the Japanese will say Eldrick/Loto is it, but they're wrong! Link has the most endearing, memorable design, and controlling him through the various environments he's travelled through the decades always feels like second nature. Furthermore, you also control the dodging, the running, the swordfighting, always with a natural, smooth flow.

He's also the most consistently well handled silent protagonist ever, something that's easy to get wrong (lookin' at you, Byleth...)

Keeping my list consistent, I should associate this entry with a game, but there have been tons of Link variants throughout the years. The most simple-but-effective is the young adult in Ocarina/Soul Calibur, the one in Majora's Mask can turn into three other fun entities, the one in BotW is super customizable, and Toon Link is a delightful design all on his own...

But as you might have surmised from the picture I chose, I think the award for best Link goes to Skyward Sword. He's goofy, he's serious, he's silent, he's snarky, he's colourful, he's got baggy pants, he's got a sweet Disney romance in his life, he sprints, he bowls... Yet he still works as a vehicle for the player. Moreso than the others even, and all thanks to that immersive control scheme. This is a game that makes you feel like Link, and isn't that what we all want?

Previous picks (Hide contents)

Earliest video game memory - Tetris or Sonic
Opening section - Final Fantasy IX
Local multiplayer - Snipperclips
Favourite villain - Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
3D Platformer - De Blob
Most relaxing navigation - Wind Waker
Favourite ranged combat - Worms Armageddon
Best musical moment - One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)
Scariest moment - Doki Doki Literature Club
Best Credits sequence - Super Mario 64
Best Town - Windfall Island (Wind Waker)
Best "bad" game - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Best open world city game - Chaos on Deponia
Best 2D Platformer - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Best story - Tales of Symphonia
Best collectible - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Best racing game - F-Zero GX
Best mini game - Pokémon Stadium
Best melee combat - Soul Calibur II
Saddest moment - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Game that brings me back to childhood - Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Best playable character - Link (Skyward Sword)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Samus Aran

latest?cb=20140820052212&f=1&nofb=1

Because of course, it has to be Samus...

Metroid Prime was the first time I can really remember properly getting into the series, though I was familiar with Samus before, of course seeing her appear in the Super Smash Bros. games helped as well, though I did go back and play Super Metroid, along with the two GBA titles; Fusion and Zero Mission... Metroid II would have been at some point after playing Super Metroid, then the rest is history.

Samus plays differently in each game, but her core skillset remains the same, whether it's in 2D or 3D, you'll always be able to run, shoot and roll into a morphball, ready to either bomb-jump or blow up your enemies, then you have all the interchangable arm-cannon upgrades, missiles and some amazing suit upgrades in the Prime series, with the Gravity Suit still managing to remain one of my favourites to this day.

Whichever game you choose to play, Samus will never let you down, unless you expect her to not blow up whatever planet she's supposed to be saving or whatever, that tends to happen a lot at the end of many Metroid games, though I think she left a few planets reasonably unscathed... yeah, in fact, during the Prime series there were at least one or two planets which were saved and only one deliberately exploded(ed) and the only other deliberate one would be the Metroid homeworld planet, so it's more of an unfair reputation, the more I think about it. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is gonna be a weird one :p

My Pro Club Player in Fifa 20.

No, this is not because IT'S ME, I'M THE BEST. It's because I play football in real life and that kind of made the Pro Club mode even more enjoyable.
A couple of friends and I had a team and we regularly met online to just play some football :D It's always amazing when you do something great and everybody just loses it or when you fuck up and everyone curses you :laughing:
You get rated at the end of a match, get some skill points to assign, you grow as a player. It's a great mode and probably the only reason why I will keep coming back to Fifa even though I hate everything the game has become.

• Like 2

Day 22 - Favourite playable character

I could easily go with any of the 4 most popular mentions so far: Link, Samus, Guybrush Threepwood (Mighty Pirate), but my choice is:

Mario
6TOGVAMRMTRKWO7GVJHB73MT4I.jpg
He just controls brilliantly each and every time you play a mainline Mario game.  So often I’ll play a game and blame each life lost on the controls & not my lacklustre skill, but I can’t make the same excuse when playing as Mario.

Whether it’s bouncing off turtle shells, reaching P-speed or throwing Cappy around, he’s just a joy to control.

Edited by WackerJr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 23 - Licensed Video Game

Star Trek Bridge Commander. An awesome game where you're captain of a starship. It had an amazing modding community, too.

ZYGyrUe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Licensed Game

9d2655d2b6c227b8c64061e0ac7a05b4f7f4c36b

South Park - The Stick of Truth

Absolutely nailed the look and feel of the show and had some amazing moments.

Honourable mentions to Knights of the Old Republic and Mad Max.

Edited by Goafer
  • Thanks 2

Day 23 - Licensed video game

5475158778605b7c6e3e9f6f2ff257bb.jpg

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader

It's such a fun and good Star Wars game, with varied missions and it looked gorgeous at the time. I'm playing it again now and it still holds up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

5475158778605b7c6e3e9f6f2ff257bb.jpg

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader

It's such a fun and good Star Wars game, with varied missions and it looked gorgeous at the time. I'm playing it again now and it still holds up.

Damn that game looked good. Hard to believe it was a GameCube game!

• Like 1

I'll have to go the same as @Cube here and say Star Trek Bridge Commander. I spent hours playing that game when I was younger, mostly just in the skirmish mode battling different ships. As Cube mentioned the modding scene for it was great as well, my favourite being the Stargate packs. We desperately need more Star Trek games like this.

startrekpointdefensephasers.gif

• Like 2

Turok

770735.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

From this...

728487.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

...to this.

P1530668.JPG&f=1&nofb=1

And then came the Turok game on the N64 which most will recognise.

What was done with the Turok license, taking it from the original Turok: Son of Stone comics from decades gone by, to the reboot of the comics in the Nineties when Acclaim bought out Valiant and had their own comic company, to then making an N64 game series based on the new Turok: Dinosaur Hunter brand, is nothing short of brilliant for its time.

There was quite simply nothing else like it and the fact that the remasters of the first two games are so popular these days, clearly shows that there's still a market for the franchise to this day, and that it could do very well again if it was to get a new entry.

I could write more, but it's a subject which interests me and I am considering writing a Turok feature in the future, also... while looking for images of the original box art for the game, I was quite shocked that there didn't seem to be that many decent quality pictures of the box, so I might have to do something about that by taking pictures of the Turok games I have in my N64 collection; it's good to preseve this stuff for history if we can. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm gonna go with @Vileplume2000 on this one - Star Wars Rogue Leader

I've never been a big Star Wars fan (only seen the first two films and Episode 1) but I LOVE a few of the games in the Star Wars franchise. This was the first game I had on GameCube and it absolutely blew me away. The visuals were stunning and the dog-fighting was amazing, be it over land or in space. I sat and played this on launch night until 8 o'clock in the morning and kept coming back for more. Never quite managed all the gold medals but got a fair few of the unlockable levels and ships. I recently played it on Dolphin and it really does hold up still. Amazing achievement on the GameCube. This opening to the first mission still looks great 20 years later.

Additional shout-out to Star Wars Episode 1: Racer and Knights of the old Republic, two of my favourite games from that era. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Licensed video game

Another vote for Star Wars: Rogue Leader, as a huge Star Wars geek this was never going to be anything else for me. Mind-blowing graphics on the Gamecube (it still looks pretty impressive today!), I remember being wowed by those tower explosions on the Dear Star surface. Getting all the medals and unlockable ships was great fun and the whole game had a really epic vibe to it. Even though it feels like more of a X-Wing/TIE Fighter sequel, I'm hoping that Star Wars Squadrons will bring back a few memories of this classic.

OldfashionedNervousFlycatcher-max-1mb.gi

(surprisingly few good gifs!)

Also a shoutout to Bart Simpson vs the Space Mutants (terrible game but I had a lot of fun with it), and Rebel Assault II.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great picks so far. South Park is just like the cartoon, humour is brilliant, hard not to pick it. Rogue Leader, nothing I’ve played comes close to making me feel like I’m flying an X-Wing.

However, Goldeneye 007 just pips them to the post due to the sheer number of hours put into it.

4f4bfc34bfa4192128a2b154cca77744.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Licensed Video Game

I don't like Star Wars very much... So I'm gonna have to go with South Park: The Stick of Truth.
It's so close to being an actual episode, it's scary. Helps that the actual writers worked on it as well.

Best Licensed Video Game

I'm limited here somewhat since i've used my actual favourite licensed games in previous rounds, but i think i'm going to go for a very enjoyable GTA clone:

thesimpsonshitandruncar.gif

Simpsons: Hit and Run was a very enjoyable GTA style (rip-off) game where you could drive around the entirety of Springfield in a variety of vehicles from the series, and as different characters. It had some great quotes too, and a pretty good story. 

"I have no insurance!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bob said:

I'm limited here somewhat since i've used my actual favourite licensed games in previous rounds

Is that actually a rule with this? Not sure if I've mentioned the same game more than once.

Yoshi. My go to character in most Mario Kart and Smash Bros games, and always a fun character to use in various platform games. 

yoshi-run-feature.png?resize=678,381

Day 23 - Best Licenced Game

The Witcher 3. The games portrayal of characters like Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri are done really well. The main story is a great continuation of the books, and the many side quests are just like the short stories of the earlier Witcher books.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Is that actually a rule with this? Not sure if I've mentioned the same game more than once.

Only if you're doing "Hard Mode"

Sign in to follow this