NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

@Goafer certainly has a great idea with his choice, but that's the obvious choice and it's not even the best implementation of "Gotta Catch 'em All!"

If it helps, I did almost change it to Pokémon Go. Blue was the OG for me though, so I stuck with it. 

Go is fantastic though and deserves some recognition for the sheer madness at launch. I remember walking through town and just seeing hundreds of people playing it. Don't think I've ever seen such a culturally significant gaming event in my lifetime. If people weren't playing it, they were at least talking about it (for better or worse).

• Like 2

Collectable

Thought it may have come up already but my choice is for 

latest?cb=20170626000605

the trophies in Smash Melee. Yes Ultimate May have more in sprites, but these were so much better. And each one had a bit of background to the character. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BowserBasher said:

Collectable

Thought it may have come up already but my choice is for 

latest?cb=20170626000605

the trophies in Smash Melee. Yes Ultimate May have more in sprites, but these were so much better. And each one had a bit of background to the character. 

On a side note, I think the trophy descriptions in the fourth Smash make them the best ones.

The localisation team clearly had a lot of fun with those.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmQPaU0VG1nS7h98xVuCf

• Haha 5

Day 16: Most interesting collectibles

Banjo-Kazooie - Stop 'n' Swop

latest?cb=20110201182745&f=1&nofb=1

Banjo-Kazooie - "OK, I finally got all of the six coloured eggs AND the Ice Key... and now, we wait..."

*almost three years pass*

Banjo-Tooie - "Oh right, so I didn't need to collect them in the first place, well at least they'll surely unlock something amazi... oh, a new move, multiplayer character and... you can what?!? turn Kazooie into a dragon?!? OK, that is pretty neat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow I’m really behind.  A quick catch-up:

Spoiler

Worms Armageddon

Spoiler

Final Fantasy VI and the opera scene (Special mention to The Mighty Poo battle from Conker’s Bad Fur Day).

Spoiler

Granny’s Garden from the BBC days & granny’s evil pixelated face appearing on the screen as I made yet another wrong choice!

Spoiler

Zelda: Majora’s Mask.  Great to see the cast of characters after being saved from the apocalyptic events.  Very clever in the way each mask allowed you to see different aspects of the ending & a good incentive to get them all.

Spoiler

The curious village from Professor Layton

Spoiler

Bart Simpson vs The Space Mutants (just a terrible game with one of the the worst anti-climatic endings, but for some reason I played it over & over when I was younger... what was I thinking! 😂

Spoiler

GTA V

Spoiler

Super Mario Bros. 3

Spoiler

The Nonary games trilogy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Day 16: Most interesting collectibles

The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave. You basically collected Denpa Men to use in your party and they were randomly generated based on wifi networks. It made a very unique gameplay mechanic, I remember finding some really cool ones when I took the 3DS out in town.

SI_3DSDS_TheDenpaMenTheyCameByWave_image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Day 16 - Most interesting collectible

Doom (2016) Little Doom Guy. I want ne in real life, too.

4c439d78c8e05282082163d44ce32766.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Collectible

If you were playing this particular game with others and you saw this drop, it didn't matter how long you'd known your friends for. They were dead to you.

9948a0f57e971d61fcb4c8825f1ecc38.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Collectible

If you were playing this particular game with others and you saw this drop, it didn't matter how long you'd known your friends for. They were dead to you.

I picked up a few of those only last night, on the GameCube version, online thanks to the private server. :D

Good shout though, the red box is iconic, I'll be nominating that certain game for sure, but I'm saving it for another category...

...I wonder which one it could be? ;)

Edited by S.C.G

33 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Collectible

My heart just skipped a beat.

Spoiler

Photon drop

• Haha 2

This was a tough one. Ocarina of Time had Skulltulas (THE quintessential optional collectible sidequest), the charts in Wind Waker lead to some immersive treasure-hauling, and the children's drawings in Little King's Story were really wholesome.

But in the end, I must agree with @BowserBasher

083.png

It's easy to forget now, but Melee's trophies were something amazing. Sure, the spirits allow for more representation and some cool themed battles, and I do think it's the right sort of collectible for Ultimate specifically... but Melee trophies were sublime in a number of ways:

• This was the first time we saw many of these characters realised in gorgeous, 128-bit 3D. Mario's overalls had denim detail, Zelda trophies looked super smooth compared to their N64 selves, and this was the definitive 3D model debut of characters such as Ridley, Pit, Misty, or Marin. Being so close to launch, Melee truly showed just how much this new sleek console could do for every character you treasured. They were worthy of admiration;
  • For many (including myself), this was their first introduction to storied Nintendo history. I had vague memories of Metroid II, but the trophies showed me a rivalry with a cool-looking villain called Ridley. Melee was where I first laid eyes on Andross, Waluigi or Pit. I could read about the sort of consoles the Game&Watch machines were. In an age before Wikipedia, Melee felt like opening the Nintendo vault wide open;
  • You unlocked them at the right pace. In Brawl, you could have a 10+ trophy haul after a Subspace + Coin Launcher session, and checking all of them at once was doing a disservice to them all. In Melee, you tended to unlock 3-5 during a gameplay session, then a couple more on the lottery minigame (and you got them one at a time, making sure your attention was on the trophy). Melee was just better designed when it came to introducing the player to all of these trophies.

Even Brawl couldn't replicate this perfect recipe. The value of Melee trophies may be a product of its time, but it did go above and beyond of whatever you might want out of a collectible.

Previous picks (Hide contents)

Earliest video game memory - Tetris or Sonic
Opening section - Final Fantasy IX
Local multiplayer - Snipperclips
Favourite villain - Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
3D Platformer - De Blob
Most relaxing navigation - Wind Waker
Favourite ranged combat - Worms Armageddon
Best musical moment - One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)
Scariest moment - Doki Doki Literature Club
Best Credits sequence - Super Mario 64
Best Town - Windfall Island (Wind Waker)
Best "bad" game - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Best open world city game - Chaos on Deponia
Best 2D Platformer - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Best story - Tales of Symphonia
Best collectible - Super Smash Bros. Melee

• Thanks 3

Best racing game

Ok, i'll admit that the stunt levels were far more fun to play than the race ones, but that doesn't mean that this isn't a racing game. Another game that whiled away many hours of my youth, it's one of the few racing games that I was quite good at, and actually unlocked everything there was to unlock. Plus, that soundtrack - I love the way the music fades into the background as you launch high into the air to perform a trick, and then bursts back when you land it - HUAAAH!

• Thanks 2

Best Racing Game

Easy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOh15cT2Xzebx49w51D5N

Mario Kart has never been better.

BTW, you should totally join the N-Europe League now and again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Best Racing Game

For me I have to go for Outrun 2. I’ve always loved the series and this came out just when I thought the series was dead. To me this is arcade perfection. We had a machine at the local arcade when I was at uni and many hours were spent there. I think this is the only arcade game I’ve ever managed to complete in one credit.

or01.jpg

I hope one day SEGA will finally give us a new version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Day 17 - Racing Game

Im not really a big fan of racing games so this was harder. I was gonna go with something like Trackmania or Forza Horizon 4 but I think I’ll go with something I enjoyed playing a lot with friends as a kid, Speed Freaks on the PS1.

Speed_freaks_pal_cover.jpg

• Thanks 2

Best Racing Game

sega-rally-championship-bg.jpg

Sega Rally

Not even a competition (apart from maybe Outrun 2). Even with only 3 cars and 4 tracks, it's a masterpiece. The handling still feels perfect to this day and it's the very definition of easy to pick up, difficult to master. 

I could play this all day and not get bored.

I would do honourable mentions, but I bloody love racing games and I'll be here all day. Outrun 2 and its variants deserve a special mention though, as it's the only one that comes close to Sega Rally IMO.

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Sega Rally

That’s a great shout too. I must have spent thousands of hours playing SEGA Rally when I was a kid. Still one I go back to quite often even now.

• Like 1

Day 17 - Racing Game

Whilst Excite Truck Was insanely fun there really is only one winner for me. It was my first SNES experience that I remember, it’s been with me through every iteration and Thursday evening wouldn’t be the same without it. 
mario-kart-8-deluxe.original.jpg

The only time this will ever be beaten as best is if they ever bought out a Mario Kart Ultimate like Smash with all previous karts, characters, tracks and everything. 

• Thanks 1

Day 17 - Racing Game

F-Zero GX. This game is simply sublime. It came out in 2003, still looks amazing and runs at a perfect 60fps. No other racing game (aside from other F-Zeros) comes close to the sense of speed coupled with that feeling you're in complete control. Master difficulty on GP and Very Hard difficulty on Story Mode are considered pretty punishing, but feel so rewarding when you manage to complete them.There is so much hidden depth to handling which makes it great for replaying and time trial. 

f-zero-1128649-1280x0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Day 17 - Racing Game

While it could have easily been F-Zero X for me, the N64 game felt a more serious racer in its handling than GX, I’ll have to go fo4 the game that I bought my first and only steering wheel for,

F1 World Grand Prix (N64). Many days lost on this.

12fa458fb74ba9ba3c40eb6c199916c2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great shout for Excite Truck and Mario Kart 8 DX. I'd even through Super Mario Kart (SNES) in the mix as a favourite of mine, but Racing game for me goes for one that made a big impression on my younger self. I didn't really play many PS1 games back in the day but one I played constantly was WipeOut 2097. Future games in the series never really hit the same high mark for me for some reason. Loved the visuals, combat, audio, whole package was great.

JYdno.gif

• Thanks 1

Day 17: Racing game

I was also going to go for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, as it's amazingly fun, full of content and such a joy to play, especially online with N-E peeps or local with a friend. But it's more of a party game than a racer in my opinion. 

So I'm with @Ronnie on this that I'm also going for a game that impressed me a lot when I was a kid. A game that had awesome shining cars like the Lamborghini Countach and Diablo, and the Ferrari 550. A game that had a real sense of speed. It's Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit.

The sequels High Stakes, and Underground 1 and 2 were amazing as well. After that I didn't play another NFS but what I've heard it was quite downhill from there anyway.

NFS III was amazing, I've played it a lot split screen against my brother on the PC, first two people on one keyboard and later we got a gamepad. Being the police, deploying spikestrips and catching him and vice versa was great. But racing was also superb, very arcadey though (never got into realistic racers anyway) and I thought it looked mind blowing for that time.

need-for-speed-iii-hot-pursuit-wallpaper

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this