NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

Day 14 - 2D platformer

I don't have to think long about this one:

WiiUVC_SuperMarioWorld_01.bmp

Such an amazing game. Full of secrets, great soundtrack, charming cutscenes after each castle, and it has Yoshi!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Day 14 - 2D Platformer

It has to be Sonic the Hedgehog. The first one will always bring me fond memories.

JXcKC6O.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Best Open World City Game

I knew open world would raise it's boring head sooner or later and I was ready for it, but then you throw that city curve ball and I started panicking. "Was I really going to have to say L.A. Noire?" A game that I think would be miles better if they cut the open-world bloat out of it.

But then...

15 hours ago, Dcubed said:

This one’s easy.  There’s only two good ones that have ever been made as far as I’m concerned and I’m picking the first one...

212863-crazy-taxi-dreamcast-front-cover.

Yeah, I'm going with Crazy Taxi.

Phew... That was close.

Best 2D Platformer

There's so many good ones, but the one I'm gonna go with is the one that has provided the most entertainment/hilarity.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYIRa6Jgq67n05EWg3a7G

New Super Mario Bros Wii is the pinnacle of 2D Mario level design, an absolute masterpiece that boasts a perfect difficulty curve and a moveset that always feels good to master. Mario has never felt more acrobatic.

And then you throw it all out of the window when you bring other people into the mix. Doesn't matter how good you are, someone will accidently (or not) jump on your head and inadvertently kill you.

Whatever genius decided that each player can't occupy the same space in multiplayer needs a raise. It is a constant source of hilarity that never gets old.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Day 14 - 2D Platformer

I had a NES first and loved Mario 1 & 3 but when I got my Mega Drive later on Sonic 2 just devoured my time and I think that’s when you could say I properly got into video games. Sonic 2 will usually feature on a list of my favourite games ever, not just platformers. Might have to go put it on later...

tumblr_mireiteaNc1s56t6so1_500.gif

• Like 2

2D platformer

For me it has to be Sonic 3

112031-sonic-the-hedgehog-3-genesis-scre

While I enjoyed the first two this one really perfected the formula. Great levels, lots of secrets, an awesome soundtrack - it had everything I wanted in a Sonic game. Add on the fact you could combine it with S&K for an even bigger experience and for me I think this is the best 2D platformer of all time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2D Platformer

Close one, but it has to be Rayman Legends. It's full of that goofy Rayman charm, has incredible controls, the co-op is so much fun, and the music...OH THE MUSIC.

Adding to all the amazing things: There are 40 levels from Rayman Origins to unlock. They don't play as well as the sequel's levels, but it's still a nice bonus.

And don't forget Kung Foot. I wish they'd make a full game out of this one :D

Rayman Legends takes the number two spot of "drahkon's favourite games ever". I bought this game on PS3, PS4, PSVita and WiiU (sold most of them, though, 'cause money). Will definitely get it on Switch, too, when it's on sale again :D

• Thanks 1

2D Platformer

d7iem5r-274cc6e7-5c03-4535-afe8-5a1d13b5

Sonic 2

Had to be really. The first one was great, but they really nailed it with the second. Still plays great today and everything from the gameplay to the music is just perfection.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Obviously anyone with taste will agree that Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World should get the nod for 2D Platformer, maybe even games like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze or Yoshi's Island. Thos are all incorrect though, the real winner is Hollow Knight. Ok it's more of a Metroidvania, but I had to fit it in somewhere and you spent the majority of the game platforming anyway. Praised this game enough in the past, beautiful visuals, amazing combat, incredible atmosphere, tons of lore and environmental story-telling, polished like a Nintendo game, just a ton of fun.

CI_WiiUDS_HollowKnight_ExploreAUniqueUnd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2D platformer

Urgh, this category is hard. I do not like 2D games. They are the antithesis of open world games - restrictive, flat, boring.

I had to go quite far back to think of the last 2D platformer i enjoyed - a game I used to play with my sister (we would take turns, she was way better than me).

Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow

ss_236cec2315345f02b1db3b492bc67c5aabffa

Weirdly, we used to play this game with a flight simulator joystick? No idea why.

Actually, searching for screenshots of that game brought back some bad memories, and made me realise I didn't particularly enjoy it at the time either.

• Thanks 1

2D Platformer

going to have to go with a favourite here and one already mentioned. 
mario_world_review_02lcumo.jpg

Super Mario World was and may still be the pinnacle of 2D Mario games. It added new elements, many of which are still used, Added the Koopa Kids, Yoshi, and looked beautiful too. One of my favourites and possibly the reason why I chose my username as I kept a save just before the end battle with Bowser just to keep beating him over and over. 

• Like 3

Day 14 - Best 2D Platformer

Mark of the Ninja Remastered (Switch). Ninja stealth action doesn’t get better than this.

6bda308b8fe13e2f0919db026d55f2cf.jpg

• Like 1

Day 14 - 2D platformer

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Because it wasn't really going to be anything else now, was it? ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 14: Favourite 2D Platformer

So, this thread has shed some light on me having not played all that many platformers in general. I've played a number of Mario games (Super Mario Bros., SMB3, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. DS, and Super Mario Bros. Wii, off the top of my head) but have only seen credits roll on one (DS, for those wondering). Going to need sit down at some point this summer and right these wrongs. 

But anyways, this leaves me in a weird position where I'm light on options, which fortunately makes my decision all that much easier. 

inside1280jpg-6aaf64.jpg

INSIDE is one of the strongest and most nuanced narratives I've played through, and that that comes across in a 2D platformer (I guess you could argue 2.5-D, but point stands) is incredible. It's daunting atmosphere, colour palette, and light puzzle and platforming mechanics come together in a 1984-esque world and prove that a game can be far greater than the sum of its parts. It remains my favourite indie experience to this day. 

Playdead's other game, LIMBO, is also excellent for similar reasons. Unless you hate spiders. :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Loving most of the games people have suggested for today's category :hehe:

On another day, I may well have been giving Super Mario World yet another deserved vote but today I'm going with..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Julius said:

INSIDE is one of the strongest and most nuanced narratives I've played through, and that that comes across in a 2D platformer

Ooooh good choice. I could have easily gone for that. Have you played Hollow Knight, different type of game obviously but equally nuanced and dripping with atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Ooooh good choice. I could have easily gone for that. Have you played Hollow Knight, different type of game obviously but equally nuanced and dripping with atmosphere.

I've had it downloaded for a while now, but having not played many other Metroidvanias has me on the fence on whether I want to dive into Hollow Knight first or get a bit more familiar with the genre. Hmm. 

13 minutes ago, Julius said:

I've had it downloaded for a while now, but having not played many other Metroidvanias has me on the fence on whether I want to dive into Hollow Knight first or get a bit more familiar with the genre. Hmm. 

It's a pretty brutal game at times, the boss encounters especially, and there's nearly 50 of them. It's not a linear Metroidvania like Ori, you get lost often but that's part of the fun.

It's also that usual (admittedly dubious) thing of once it clicks after 5-10 hours, it really clicks.

Maybe I'm not selling it too well :laughing:

Day 14: Best 2D Platformer

There have been some really good picks so far... but they're all wrong, because the correct choice is actually Donkey Kong Country Returns

6143wUG-SDL._AC_SY445_.jpg

The Leader Of The Bunch

Absolutely pitch perfect level design, ball busting difficulty, a never-ending cavalcade of fantastic gameplay concepts; masterfully executed.

Even its much lauded sequel couldn't quite match the tenacious and exquisite pacing of its Wii predecessor.

The Best 2D Platformer Ever Made.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Day 14: Best 2D Platformer

There have been some really good picks so far... but they're all wrong, because the correct choice is actually Donkey Kong Country Returns

6143wUG-SDL._AC_SY445_.jpg

The Leader Of The Bunch

Absolutely pitch perfect level design, ball busting difficulty, a never-ending cavalcade of fantastic gameplay concepts; masterfully executed.

Even its much lauded sequel couldn't quite match the tenacious and exquisite pacing of its Wii predecessor.

The Best 2D Platformer Ever Made.

No snow levels 😢

Fascinating choices so far. I personally wouldn't consider the likes of Hollow Knight or Mark of the Ninja platforming games, since the focus is elsewhere (or rather, they belong to other genres, in my mind). It's a nice reminder of how versatile the 2D perspective can be.

As for my choice, I'm unbearably torn between Sonic Mania or Sonic 3 & Knuckles. One is a childhood game, the other feels like the most fun I've had since childhood. Both feel equally excellent, but in the end...

6 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Day 14 - 2D platformer

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Because it wasn't really going to be anything else now, was it? ;)

Yeah, it wasn't going to be anything else. 10/10 music, 10/10 levels, three 10/10 unique characters with differing paths, and a 10/10 sidequest that keeps rewarding the player with some of the best moments of that gamer's young career. You're right, it can't be anything else. 2D platformers peaked here, and the industry has yet to catch the blue blur.

(Also, Sonic Mania sorta... turned off the Blue Sphere minigame when the DLC came out? Sonic 3 also turned off a minigame, but it had the decency to be a not-that-fun one)

15 hours ago, Cube said:

Day 14 - 2D Platformer

It has to be Sonic the Hedgehog. The first one will always bring me fond memories.

JXcKC6O.jpg

...Is this not a screenshot of Sonic Mania, though?

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Yep, it is. Didn't even catch that at first. That's hilarious.

Sonic Mania is better than Sonic 1 though, so I'll allow it.

Edited by Glen-i

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I just quickly googled a screenshot of the Android port, as it's the best version of the game (despite only being on phones).

Day 15 - Best Story

I find most stories in games I’ve played highly predictable, so I had trouble thinking of a story that resonated deeply with me. People praise GRIS, Celeste and other walking simulators, but I find their metaphors shallow and too simplistic.

So, trending away from games like that, I did recently enjoy What Remains of Edith Finch, it didn’t ram its metaphors down your throat.

However, my pick is a slow descent into a drug fuelled nightmare of violence. Unable to discern reality from dream, and only told with minimal dialogue.

Hotline Miami Collection, if I had to choose one from the collection, the 2nd trumps the first.

823ea95035df9642ae2b12553044caf1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this