NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

Day 10: Credits sequence

Another difficult one as credits scenes normally don't really stick with me. Usually I just have to let the feeling of finishing a game sink in. Fun side question: do you guys skip the credits if you can? I always watch them at least once, but skip them if I have seen them already. Games with a minigame like Smash Ultimate depends if I feel like doing the minigame.

Anyway, I like games that show enemy lists in the credits, especially with names. Like in Kirby's Dream Land or Super Mario World. But one that stuck with me from one of the more recent games I played is Doom. Really cool perspectives from the Doomguy and his enemies.

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Fun side question: do you guys skip the credits if you can? I always watch them at least once, but skip them if I have seen them already. Games with a minigame like Smash Ultimate depends if I feel like doing the minigame.

Nowadays I’ll check to see if I can watch the credits before even playing the game, especially if someone I know well has worked on it. Generally I’ll only play a game once, watch the credits and then I’m done with it. IF I do a second play through I may watch them, especially if it’s something really old just to see who was involved back then.

Day 10: Favourite End Credits

Nothing tops The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for me here...

Epic and absolutely beautiful in the way that best encompasses what Zelda is and should be all about!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Day 10 - Credits Sequence

Easy one here, Portal.

Was going to with Nier:Automata (saving it for a later category) or Smash Melee for the interactive elements, but this is a great shout, so I'm going with this for mine too.

• Like 2

That reminds me, a runner up for me is Yooka-Laylee.

Because it has someone awesome in the credits.

That someone being me (because I paid money years in advance, not because of working on it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 06/07/2020 at 8:32 PM, Mandalore said:

A bit late like old PAL releases...

Day 1 - Earliest Video Game Memory (Reveal hidden contents)

Super Mario World at my cousins house. Think I ended up getting a SNES with Mario All Stars the following Christmas. 

Day 2 - Opening Section of a game (Reveal hidden contents)

Yakuza 0. You're in a bar sipping some alcoholic beverage, then beating up some street thugs, then in another bar doing karaoke, then rampaging through a building beating the shit out of hundreds of thugs. It pretty much sold me on this series. :laughing:

Day 3 - Local Multiplayer (Reveal hidden contents)

Really hard to pick between Super Bomberman 3, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Perfect Dark and Mario Kart Double Dash. I think Melee gets it, spent so many weekends over my friends doing 4 player battles duing the year it came out.

Day 4 - Favourite villain/antagonist (Reveal hidden contents)

Witcher 3's Gaunter O'Dimm. There aren't many bad guys as sinister and as manipulative as Gaunter O'Dimm, it made a really interesting DLC slowly learning his true nature.

ah81fpvnuv031.jpg

Day 5 - 3D Platformer (Reveal hidden contents)

Banjo Kazooie. I played it a second time on Xbox 360 and it was still just as brilliant as I remembered it. As great as Mario 64 and Odyssey are, I think the humour and music of Banjo Kazooie give it the edge.

Day 6: Most Relaxing Navigation

Sakura Wars - Most of the game is spent just strolling around the theatre talking to people.

Almost picked Mass Effect 1 elevators. :heh:

Is Sakura Wars any good? (Other than the navigation obviously!)

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Day 10: Favourite End Credits

Nothing tops The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for me here...

Epic and absolutely beautiful in the way that best encompasses what Zelda is and should be all about!

That's a good one. Love the bit in the middle with Midna and the triumphant return home for Link at the end with the great music.

After snubbing Super Mario 64 twice, it's time it got its due

This wasn't the first time I saw credits or anything, and there's nothing particularly original or novel about this ending, and yet... The music, the images, the camera shots... everything is so simple-yet-perfect. It feels like the best celebration of the journey that was Super Mario 64, and it's still the first thing I think of when someone mentions "best endings and/or credits sequences".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Day 11 - Favourite Town/Village

Clock Town from Majora's Mask. The 3-day mechanic enabled the town to be alive. People had a routine and there was a greater sense of doom each day.

lsqTciW.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Technically a city but I’m gonna go with Yokosuka in Shenmue, specifically Dobuita. You spend so much time there day after day, really getting to know the local people. I loved the sense of familiarity from that and thought it was something the sequels lacked.

Shenmue-1441229.jpg?r=153304964726

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Another weird one for me, as there was not much going on here, but I loved the layout of it.  A little village nestled in a canyon, wild west style.

Karkariko Village from Zelda:Twilight Princess.

Kakariko Village LoZ TP | Twilight princess, Twilight, Legend of zelda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Favourite Town/Village

I think I have to go for GTA3’s Liberty City. It was the first time I really felt that just being in the game world was enough, and still visit at least once a year as it was such a good setting for what was an awesome game. It really felt alive and was the blueprint by which many game worlds are still created.

gta3-android-ios.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, will' said:

Favourite Town/Village

I think I have to go for GTA3’s Liberty City. It was the first time I really felt that just being in the game world was enough, and still visit at least once a year as it was such a good setting for what was an awesome game. It really felt alive and was the blueprint by which many game worlds are still created.

gta3-android-ios.jpg

With Liberty City and then Vice City after it I felt like I really knew the cities. I could just drive around and know where I was going. I don’t really get that anymore as you spend more time following the gps markers these days.

Another vote for Clock Town for Favourite Town/Village. It basically felt like a game all to itself, more fleshed out than even modern towns in games are. It played a big part in making sure Majora's Mask felt really different to Ocarina. Tons of sidequests and secrets, both weird and tragic, and a brilliant main hub for a brilliant game.

tumblr_nvvmz1XInq1uhr1yqo8_r1_250.gifv

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

With Liberty City and then Vice City after it I felt like I really knew the cities. I could just drive around and know where I was going. I don’t really get that anymore as you spend more time following the gps markers these days.

I totally agree with this! I actually felt like I was an inhabitant of the world and knew all the secret little shortcuts and hidden alleys. Nowadays the worlds are so big that it’s not really possible. Maybe it’s just that we’re older and have less time than we used to?

Novigrad from The Witcher 3. When you first ride to the city and see the walls and towers in the distance it looks spectacular. 

95469cebf2f70d4271ed83e2ebcdbf64.jpg

12 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Is Sakura Wars any good? (Other than the navigation obviously!)

I took a punt on it after reading this Eurogamer article. Production values are very high but the story and gameplay probably haven't progressed much since the 90s. It's definitely worth a try, but maybe wait for the price to drop a bit.

• Thanks 1

My village of Metopia in Animal Crossing: Wild World. Still my favourite AC game!

SI_NDS_AnimalCrossingWildWorld.jpg

• Thanks 1

Best town/village

Another weirdly worded one (town or village, but not hamlet or city?) but I guess I'm going to go for this town:

Pokemon_FRLG_PalletTown.png

Not because it's the most exciting location in the game, but because it's where your adventure starts, and I've probably started this adventure many, many times.

It's a bit of a weird town, to be fair. Only two houses, with one bedroom each, and a large laboratory. Where does Professor Oak live? Where does your or your rival's mother sleep?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bob said:

Another weirdly worded one (town or village, but not hamlet or city?) but I guess I'm going to go for this town:

Sorry about that, the intention is more smaller ones (rather than an entire maps - for some games this could be cities), but it's open to interpretation. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm predictable as fuck; it's Clock Town from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

?imw=268&imh=268&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

More fabulous than a box of Tingles

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Favourite Town/Village

There are basically two groups of people when it comes to this question. The wrong people who have clearly never played Majora's Mask and the people whose answer is Clock Town from Majora's Mask.

4f432b086b066580cc189e021c020441.jpg

The groundhog (3)day structure meant that Nintendo could program actual schedules to a lot of the residents. I have never seen a town that felt as believable as Clock Town and I doubt I ever will. Just following residents around can reward you with scenes going into their background. (Anju alone has lots of tiny little scenes)

Case in point, there's a really obscure and easy to miss conversation you can listen in on if you get the Stock Pot Inn Room Key, don't give Anju the Pendant of Memories and then use your room to eavesdrop on Anju's room between 9:30pm and midnight on the second day.

I only found out about this a year ago and I've played Majora's Mask countless times!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

Sign in to follow this