NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

Day 9 Scary Moment

Ok. I’ve played a few “scary” games but none have ever scared me. The only thing I can really recal that would fit here is this. 

It is in Banjo Kazooie, possibly Mad Monster Mansion, I think I was walking around the side of the mansion or on an edge of it and a hand or bird or something screeched out of a hole in the wall (it may not even have been a hole there but smashed through something). Made me jump a bit and had me startled in the moment. If anyone recalls this I’d love help remembering it better. 

• Thanks 1

Scary moment

As with many of the other wusses on here, I don't play very many scary games. I remember the zombie people that used to attack you on the way out of the Temple of Time in OOT used to creep me out.

However, the moment that I can remember that had me a sweaty, jumpy bundle of nerves was recently when I played Ocean Rift in VR. It's not even supposed to be a scary game, but i suffer from Thalassophobia, which is a fear of deep water and things that lurk in the unknown depths. 

Anyway, i noped right out of playing the shark level, as I knew i wouldn't be able to handle it, but a fascination with the things that scared me meant i wanted to try out some of the levels with larger animals in it. I tried the whale level, and felt really nervous and twitchy when the huge creature kind of looms out of the depths towards you. 

Then I tried the mosasaur one, and couldn't see the damn thing. So I turned on the radar, which shows you where the animals are supposed to be, and it showed a red dot right behind me. I screamed like a little girl and ripped the headset off.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thanks 2

Scary Moment

Arkham VR Ending

(From about 2:30 onwards in the video)

Peering into the cells is bad enough, but then you find yourself in one, with the things around you changing as you look in different directions. It's so tense, as you have no idea what you'll turn to face next. Superbly done.

The video above really doesn't do it justice. It's truly unnerving in VR.

Edited by Goafer

Day 9 - Scary Moment

Not too many I can put my finger on, but the beginning village of Resident Evil 4 threw so many villagers at you, at an unrelenting pace, that made you feel totally overwhelmed, and that chainsaw chugging away just behind you as you start to climb a ladder, gives you a sense of heightened anxiety at the least.ef9e1e6940d04ace24830bc5f7b19923.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Scariest Moment

Oh, that's easy...

Seriously Intelligent Systems, what the hell!? (Paper Mario: Colour Splash, in case you can't see the video)

Bonus points for the only effective strategy being "KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

• Thanks 3

Day 9 Scary Moment

Ecco the Dolphin - Open Ocean

Well, regarding what @bob said about Thalassophobia (I didn't know this was the name for it) maybe this one will make more sense than I thought...

Plenty of moments in Ecco the Dolphin were unsettling, especially playing this game growing up, but Open Ocean has to be the ultimate 'nope!' moment.

• Thanks 2

I generally don't get scared when playing games though I do often get a feeling of anxiety in certain situations, such as getting further and further through Mummy Me Maze Forever in Captain Toad and being terrified that I would make a mistake and have to start all the way from the beginning.. AGAIN!

While @londragon highlighted the aspects of Resident Evil 4 that made it 'scarier' than other entries in the series, I'm going with a slightly different approach today.

I actually jumped up and switched my Gamecube off while the file was 'deleting' and was worried that I'd have managed to corrupt the data either way. It only took a couple of seconds more for me to realise that the Sanity Meter had finally found a way of catching me out.. however briefly :grin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Scary Moment

I’ve really never been into scary stuff, be it films, games, books, whatever. Not because I scare easily, but because this stuff generally doesn’t scare me at all. So I haven’t played many scary games at all, the only one that even comes to mind is Condemned. Some stuff in this game made me jump a bit. Maybe.

condemnedtop_638.jpg

Day 9 - Scary Moment

More creepy than scary but running around in Max Payne and hearing that damn baby every now and again was just wrong.

Edited by Happenstance

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Scariest Moment

Oh, that's easy...

Seriously Intelligent Systems, what the hell!? (Paper Mario: Colour Splash, in case you can't see the video)

Bonus points for the only effective strategy being "KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

GODDAMMIT!!! You beat me to it!!

This is definitely my choice as well.  WHAT THE HELL INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS!? SERIOUSLY! WHAT THE HELL!?!?

• Like 1

Day 8: Best Musical Moment

I could pick loads of great music, but they don't necessarily coincide with a particular gaming moment. Think I'll go with the end of Mario Odyssey when you throw your hat at Bowser. Despite there being music with lyrics earlier in the game, it completely took me by surprise. It was really cheesy but somehow just worked and it was a nice touch adding the Mario 64 Bowser's theme riff in there. Made the ending of the game pretty awesome.

Day 9: Scariest Moment

The Last of Us Part 2. Pretty recent so I guess I'd better spoiler tag it...

Spoiler

Upgrading my weapon on a workbench when I suddenly hear voices, I thought it must've been the TV in the other room. Nope, it's in the game and I suddenly get grabbed by a random scar. It basically took what all past games have conditioned me to think of as a 'safe zone' and shattered that concept.

• Like 1

DistinctBabyishCooter-size_restricted.gi

Scary moments are downers. Instead of posting mine, I'll post a wholesome screenshot from Doki Doki Literature Club, from that date with Sayori at the school festival.

(EDIT: Oh yeah, I should say, if you aren't familiar with Doki Doki Literature Club, you should definitely get it free on Steam. It's only about 5 hours long)

Spoiler

fd6096678f5c8595e72ed08b91260650b0af3467

She sure likes to hang out in her room........ :(

For real, after that disclaimer, I was expecting a creepy shift, but after a few hours of cutesy interactions, I was so hoping this wouldn't happen... and then it hits like a truck. I immediately jumped into the "second playthrough" and started rushing through dialogue, hoping I could return to the first playthrough again, but then I receive a "secret letter" that's just a child's drawing of this scene, and I broke down completely. Everything just crushed my spirit. I hadn't felt that distressed by something in a videogame since I was a child.

Maybe that was too cheerful, but we needed a break from all these frights.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

DistinctBabyishCooter-size_restricted.gi

Scary moments are downers. Instead of posting mine, I'll post a wholesome screenshot from Doki Doki Literature Club, from that date with Sayori at the school festival

Doki Doki spoiler: Only oki-doki if you played it <3 (Reveal hidden contents)

fd6096678f5c8595e72ed08b91260650b0af3467

She sure likes to hang out in her room........ :(

For real, after that disclaimer, I was expecting a creepy shift, but after a few hours of cutesy interactions, I was so hoping this wouldn't happen... and then it hits like a truck. I immediately jumped into the "second playthrough" and started rushing through dialogue, hoping I could return to the first playthrough again, but then I receive a "secret letter" that's just a child's drawing of this scene, and I broke down completely. Everything just crushed my spirit. I hadn't felt that distressed by something in a videogame since I was a child.

Maybe that was too cheerful, but we needed a break from all these frights.

Spoiler

The real subtle thing with the dialogue box before that shot is that it's the first time dialogue automatically advances with no player input. Really makes the reveal that much more impactful.

Man, that game is a trip. Really clever subversion of a visual novel. I played through the whole thing with @Ugh first aid watching me and for a laugh, I decided to give Monika gentleman's voice lacking any kind of emotion.

Suffice to say, I inadvertently made the second half of the game a lot more... Sinister.

It's a shame that the disclaimer has to be there, (For obvious reasons) because just how crazy it gets means it's a game that I'll never forget.

For those of you who don't want to be spoiled, Doki Doki Literature Club is a really clever visual novel that is also free on Steam. It's created by one of the people who worked on that famous Smash Bros. Brawl mod, Project M. Which is pretty weird.

I highly recommend going into it blind.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Glen-i said:
  Spoilers for the game Jonnas talked about (Reveal hidden contents)

The real subtle thing with the dialogue box before that shot is that it's the first time dialogue automatically advances with no player input. Really makes the reveal that much more impactful.

Man, that game is a trip. Really clever subversion of a visual novel. I played through the whole thing with @Ugh first aid watching me and for a laugh, I decided to give Monika gentleman's voice lacking any kind of emotion.

Suffice to say, I inadvertently made the second half of the game a lot more... Sinister.

It's a shame that the disclaimer has to be there, (For obvious reasons) because just how crazy it gets means it's a game that I'll never forget.

For those of you who don't want to be spoiled, Doki Doki Literature Club is a really clever visual novel that is also free on Steam. It's created by one of the people who worked on that famous Smash Bros. Brawl mod, Project M. Which is pretty weird.

I highly recommend going into it blind.

Spoiler

Yeah, the game's filled with subtle things like that, it's so impressive how much Dan Salvato understands the player-game interaction. Doki Doki's one of my games of the decade for reasons like these.

At one point during the second half, I paused so I could make dinner. I actually kept glancing at my computer while cooking due to how paranoid I was!

Good idea on the reminder. I'll add the extra info to my original post.

Scariest moment will easily be my lamest choice, I just don't tend to play anything approaching scary games all that often, if ever. I'm going to go with the first time you face off against a banshee in Mass Effect 3. I hate it when enemies teleport closer to you, freaks me out and the things look terrifying a f. 

tumblr_mi69ypHbwD1qbnk7oo1_500.gif

Credits Sequence

In what I think is a far more sensible use for this game than previous mentions, I loved the credits sequence in Super Monkey Ball. Just a nice take on credits that fit well with the game and gave you a reason to sit through them and have a bit of fun.

I also give an honorable mention to the digital release of NiGHTs into Dreams as I was in them. As my favourite childhood game it really meant a lot to be involved in the update and get credited for it.

Spoiler

74840A02-7F0D-4A8A-B855-2A367AAAFAD6.thumb.jpeg.623b9de6cba630fc2fc0365c6c395285.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Ronnie The sound effects didn't help with the fear, either. Still, that didn't stop me Biotic Charging right at them.

Day 10 - Credits sequence.

I was originally going to go with a mini-game one like Smash Bros or Super Monkey Ball, but there's just something really nice about the credits for Splatoon 2.

It's not quite a minigame, but it's still interactive and very relaxing. It's also interesting that if you don't interact with it, the credits will be blank. I also really like how every name is a personalised graphic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Credits Sequence

Not interactive in the slightest, but I'm gonna give this one to Chrono Trigger.

Oh right, there's like, 11 different credits in this game. Well it's the standard one for me.

Something about that music just perfectly bookends this perfectly paced RPG in my mind.

This one gets bonus points for having subtle changes depending on certain actions you did. Which is impressive for a SNES game.

Spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

Deciding to kill Magus after the floating continent crashes back to Earth breaks the curse on Frog, reverting him back to his human form.

Breaking into Lavos' shell by crashing the Epoch into it means that Crono and friends don't end up going time travelling again.

And the obvious one being whether you bring Crono back to life. That has a pretty significant effect.

There's also a credits Sequence you get for beating the final boss 2 minutes into the plot on a New Game+.

It matches the speed at which you did it by whizzing them past at an unreadable speed. Which is always funny.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 10 - Credits Sequence

Not epic by today's standards, but the credits for Star Fox always got me.  Probably helped by the fact the game could be blasted through in a relative short order, and then the sunset, the running, the rising Great Fox.  Iconic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Credits Sequence

These are actually opening credits, so perhaps it's cheating a bit, but the opening of I Expect You to Die on the Oculus Quest (or Rift) basically puts you inside a stylised Bond opening credits sequence, complete with awesome theme song, and 60's style graphics going on around you. This video doesn't really show off how it feels to be inside it in VR, but meh.

My choice for Credit sequence is never going to win any awards, but it's basically all the charm, polish and fun of a Nintendo game distilled into a short animation. Mine goes to Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. It's an on-rails (literally) trip through previous environments, with enemies in the background and the Captain + Toadette reacting to everything around them. Cute and fun. PLUS the post-credits addition of the 3D World connection, fantastic.   

bf7ezgifcomvideotogif.gif

35 minutes ago, londragon said:

Not epic by today's standards, but the credits for Star Fox always got me.  Probably helped by the fact the game could be blasted through in a relative short order, and then the sunset, the running, the rising Great Fox.  Iconic.

That finish with the sunset was glorious. The music made it seem so epic, either the good or bad ending.

• Thanks 1

Day 10 Ending credits

Simple one from me here it’s Links awakening, maybe cause it’s one of the earliest I saw over and over but the remake on Switch made it so much more lovely to look at. Soothing music, lovely visuals and a nice ending. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got some catching up to do! :hehe:

Day 7 - Favourite ranged combat:

Time Crisis II. Played the hell out of this game back in the good old arcade days and it was always a great laugh, especially when playing with others. :cool:

k3Lwh0H.jpg

Day 8 - Best musical moment:

I am Impact! from Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon . The finest musical moment in video game history! :D

Day 9 - Scariest moment:

The entirety of Alien Isolation. :heh: Played this game in surround sound and it was absolutely terrifying! :shakehead

Day 10 - Credits sequence:

Man, this is a tough one! :o There are just so many, but I think it'll have to be the credits for MadWorld. :laughing:

Spoiler
  1. Earliest video game memory: Bubble Bobble in the late 80’s (C64)
  2. Opening section of a game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  3. Local multiplayer: Wii Sports (Wii)
  4. Favourite villain/antagonist: Uncle Rupee from Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (NDS)
  5. 3D platformer: Super Mario 64 (N64)
  6. Most relaxing navigation: Endless Ocean (Wii)
  7. Favourite ranged combat: Time Crisis II (Arcade)
  8. Best musical moment: I am Impact! from Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
  9. Scariest moment: The entirety of Alien Isolation (PS4)
  10. Credits sequence: MadWorld (Wii)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

If you've played through and completed this wonderful game, then you'll have seen this exceptional credits sequence. :D

It's well worth playing through this classic if you haven'talready , the credits are your reward for finishing the game and playing it is rewarding in itself. :smile:

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this