NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

30 Day Video Game Challenge Thing.

'Favourite Ranged Combat' is a difficult decision!

My immediate thought was Link's Crossbow Training yet I also find myself wanting to give some love to Arms, Sin & Punishment and Metroid Prime.

I had settled on a different game but have decided to save that as an obvious choice for an upcoming day.

Instead, I've went for..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like the responses for this one, I was originally going to put "shooter" but I think this wording has made for some unique choices.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of FPSes. In fact, the only game mentioned so far that I would even consider is Resi 4. But my pick is a bit more out there...

Worms Armageddon

The wackiest multiplayer warfare is also the most fun I've ever had with "long-range combat" launch a bazooka and watch it explode on a teammate because you didn't account for wind! Throw a grenade and watch bounce back on yourself because your aim sucks! Launch an air strike that will somehow tackle a random mine towards yourself because fuck you!

Or somehow pull off an impressive feat and kill three guys with a single Dragon Punch. Or show off your mad Ninja Rope skillz (I had mad Super/Aqua Sheep skillz, myself). Or just end a match with the Holy Hand Grenade, because who wouldn't?

Alongside the customizable maps, customizable maps, customizable names, customizable voices, and even the existence of the Portuguese National Anthem for my team (alongside most others), this feels like the ultimate party game, or the ultimate competitive game, or even the ultimate whatever-you-want game (there's a mission mode, target range mode, and whatever else users can come up with, like a Ninja Rope race course).

Dare I say, this is the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate of artillery?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I'm not a fan of FPSes. In fact, the only game mentioned so far that I would even consider is Resi 4. But my pick is a bit more out there...

Worms Armageddon

The wackiest multiplayer warfare is also the most fun I've ever had with "long-range combat" launch a bazooka and watch it explode on a teammate because you didn't account for wind! Throw a grenade and watch bounce back on yourself because your aim sucks! Launch an air strike that will somehow tackle a random mine towards yourself because fuck you!

Or somehow pull off an impressive feat and kill three guys with a single Dragon Punch. Or show off your mad Ninja Rope skillz (I had mad Super/Aqua Sheep skillz, myself). Or just end a match with the Holy Hand Grenade, because who wouldn't?

Alongside the customizable maps, customizable maps, customizable names, customizable voices, and even the existence of the Portuguese National Anthem for my team (alongside most others), this feels like the ultimate party game, or the ultimate competitive game, or even the ultimate whatever-you-want game (there's a mission mode, target range mode, and whatever else users can come up with, like a Ninja Rope race course).

Dare I say, this is the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate of artillery?

This was also on my shortlist! But in the end I decided against it because the two most effective weapons are the baseball bat and the prod, and they are not long range. :p 

• Haha 1

Best Musical Moment

I've mentioned this one a few times in various threads.

300px-I'll_Fuckin_Do_It_Again.jpg

Spoiler

The return to Shadow Moses.
Quite possibly the best video game moment I've ever experienced. And that song...

Day 8 - Best musical moment

I'm not playing hard mode so excuse me for using Skyward Sword again. Zelda finally had an orchestrated OST. :cry:

This is cool for those that didn't know:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 8 - Best Musical Moment

Ive gotta give this to the end of the Mass Effect 2 Suicide Mission. I love this song and it just makes the entire thing feel so epic.

Spoiler

Edited by Happenstance

Best Musical Moment

Saints Row 3: Holding Out For a Hero

The perfect use of the song. It matches the silly nature of the game, whilst also adding impact to the scene. Anyone that plays this mission and doesn't get completely pumped has no soul.

Honourable mentions: Red Dead Redemption 2: Unshaken/Arthur's ride home, Persona 5: Life Will Change/Final dungeon rush and Sonic Adventure: Open Your Heart/Intro and Ultimate Chaos.

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 3

Day 8 - Best musical moment.

Despite my love for orchestrated game music, my choice is the Ashtray Maze in Control. The whole section has a great visual style, with awesome music from the fictional band Old Gods of Asgard (a link to Alan Wake and the real band is Poets of the Fall).

Even better, the song has been cut into smaller repeating loops, and moves to the next section as you progress, the while section feels like you're playing an awesome music video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Time I include this game-changing classic on my list, Best musical moment for me was any time you learn one of the temple songs in Ocarina of Time with Sheik. Those sequences were always so nicely shot and stick out in the mind, especially the extra musical flourishes that play in the cutscene afterwards (something that Majora's Mask skimped out on). Special shout out to the Bolero of Fire and Serenade of Water. I hope Zelda gets back to its musical routes in future instalments. Even its inclusion in Spirit Tracks was well done (if frustrating to actually perform ha).

488fcfdeb0ac6f96748845c02ff045be.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 8: Best Musical Moment

My vote goes to the moment where you obtain the Fully Powered Suit in Metroid Zero Mission.

latest?cb=20100627230455

The Hunted becomes The Hunter

That moment when you finally get your Fully Powered Suit; after being relentlessly hunted by the Space Pirates in your PJs... and then THAT music kicks in as you proceed to completely decimate the Space Pirate ship in retaliation!

Fucking Theraputic! :D 

All of a sudden it grants a whole new level of understanding behind the Space Pirate’s fear of Samus in the Metroid Prime games!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Best Musical Moment

For me it has to be NiGHTs into Dreams, specifically the final level. You start out in a very different way to the previous levels with ominous music booming around you. Things don’t work as they usually would and you find yourself on a floating island, weird music still booming away and no clue what you’re meant to do. Eventually, having nothing available to you you jump off the platform into the abyss... The music goes silent. You wait. FINALLY everything is OK, the AMAZING music kicks in and you get one final, awsome level to play through before the boss.

I LOVE playing this game, even if just this level for the feeling when that music kicks in. The music makes this, for me, one of my best gaming moments of all time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Goafer said:

Saints Row 3: Holding Out For a Hero

Anything using this is awesome. Reminds me of Short Circuit 2 and the awesome Johnny 5 racing through the docks.

• Like 2

Best Musical Moment

To be honest, I could put pretty much any moment from the Halo series when the music kicks in, but i'll settle for this one:

Such iconic music, without which I don't think Halo would have been half as good. Nothing beats getting into that Warthog and hearing the main theme start, and knowing that the next part of the level was going to be AWESOME.

• Thanks 2

Day 8: Best Musical Moment

Perfect Dark - Mission 5: Air Base Espionage

If you've played it, you know the bit... second objective, music changes, mission changes from mostly stealth to all-out carnage as you frantically try and complete your main objective, which is boarding Air Force One. If you haven't played it before, then definitely do that, but here's a video of the mission... :D

It's at 3:40 where the music changes, but it's worth watching the full video, though it's even better to experience it in-game. :)

Fun fact, @Gadwin and I played the XBLA version last night after finding out that Perfect Dark Zero has had its servers shut down for multiplayer, but the original Perfect Dark? It still works, all modes including Co-Operative which runs at full screen for both players online and it's great fun. :peace:

• Thanks 2

Day 8 - Best Musical Moment

So, so many to choose from, and thinking through most, they were all serious pieces, so I’ve decided to choose a tongue-in-cheek answer for this one.

Playing Rhythm Heaven on the DS, I smiled at many stages, but none so much as The Chorus Kids.

c385f1655114d98686555ad48e800b56.jpg

All together now, ahhhh!

I really hope this trio can make it into Smash, too.

ad30e2b8a1419a48aa6bf77a9ce3db84.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going for games with a general great soundtrack, such as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and 4, or Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. Those soundtracks either changed my musical taste or are very complimentary to the kind of stuff I like. 

But it is musical moment so a complete soundtrack wouldn't really cut it. So...

Day 8 - Best musical moment: Metroid Prime - Phendrana Drifts

That ambient, atmospheric soundtrack with the piano track you hear the first time you step into the snow-covered Phendrana Drifts is amazing. The whole game is great in setting the mood and creating atmosphere, but this bit has stuck in particular.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Musical moment. 
ok. I’m going to go with anytime you encounter a Guardian in BotW. That change of music to the fast and frantic theme really give it a sense of doom. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Earliest video game memory - Tetris or Sonic
Opening section - Final Fantasy IX
Local multiplayer - Snipperclips
Favourite villain - Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
3D Platformer - De Blob
Most relaxing navigation - Wind Waker
Favourite ranged combat - Worms Armageddon
Best musical moment - ...

After Final Fantasy IX, that friend of mine started trying out other RPGs. One in particular got him very captivated, I watched some of his sessions as per usual, and followed the bits I was missing from the sidelines (he'd give me occasional updates on his progress, most of it I didn't actually see until later).

As it happens, one of those afternoons, I went to his house and watched him play it for a bit. Our conversation that afternoon went something like this:

"I just put on Disc 3, so there's still a lot of story to go"
"I see, and what's the party up to?"
"I just defeated a few minor villains, but the Big Bad's run off to a cave"
"Is he looking for something?"
"No, I think he's hiding, or it's part of his plan. Didn't understand it too well"
*we go through the cave*
"This is a very big dungeon"
"Yeah, there's probably a major development at the end"
*we fight the boss*
"Ah, there he is, right after the boss"
"Yeah, and... organize my party? There's another fight?"
"Is this... is this him? The main villain? We're fighting him, right?"
"No, it's a monster who looks like him, probably. We're just at the beginning of Disc 3..."
"Yeah, but the music is different, and it is a huge boss fight... This really looks like his final form."
"No, that can't be right... There we go, I finally beat him. Now what happens?"
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."

Spoiler

So yeah, completely blindsided by the actual final boss, and this musical masterpiece, and everything that followed. Like, we were still gawking at the lyrics when he summoned Supernova! This was immense. To this day, I don't think there's any final boss theme that tops this.

And to be frank, I think Square overuses this. They keep using it as Sephiroth's theme in additional material as if it were a throwaway track, as if they forgot that his actual leitmotif is, like @Julius said, "Those Chosen by the Planet". One Winged Angel is supposed to be momentous and unique, but it loses its lustre if you use it every time Sephiroth appears in any product. And now it's even used as part of the opening of FF7 remake... Well, I hope it works for that game, but it's very, very hard to top how it's used in the original: saved as a surprise for the momentous grand finale

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 1

Nope @Jonnas. Gonna have to disagree with your choice of Final Fantasy Final Boss music because I would pick...

Best Musical Moment

Four boss phases, 1 song. Over 10 minutes of operatic mastery that simply puts all other Final Boss songs to shame. No Final Boss theme has quite managed to pull that off since.

Dancing Mad is the quintessential RPG finale that rounds off the best Final Fantasy in the way it deserves.

(Yeah, I'm not doing that hard mode malarkey, who else is gonna shout out PMD when it needs it?)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scariest Moment

Well...I'm a scaredy-cat so I usually don't play games with a prospect of scary moments :p I do have something to share, though:

Spoiler

That's me playing. Funny how my only reflex was: SHOOT :D

Edited by drahkon

Day 9 - Scariest moment

That's Resident Evil 2 for me, and I remember the exact moment. And someone put it on YouTube!

Those hands coming through the window, I was not expecting that as a 12-year old kid!

• Thanks 2

Day 9 - Scariest Moment.

The SA-X in Metroid Fusion. The screenshot doesn't do it justice. The game had great atmosphere, and you knew that a much more powerful version of Samus was roaming around the station, and that there was no chance.

PRDSf9n.png

@drahkon I did a similar thing in that part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a tough one for me, I just don’t play scary games. Gonna have to have a think about it.

Sign in to follow this